Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Delete

My Cars
    2003 ///M5

Question Power Steering Delete

Can this be done safely, and what are some of the risk other than not having power steering?

My Cars
    87 Euro M3
    As late as 1997, Mazda made PS an option on the Miata. I believe the track junkies prefer their cars that way.

My Cars
    z06 & Sierra HD
    god bless! i had to drive my car without power steering cause my pressure line blew and i would not wish it on anyone. it completely sucks!!! not worth it at all.
    do you even know what a plethora is?

My Cars
    325is
    There was a thread on the 'Track' section, about six months ago, or so.
    The concensus was that completely removing it wasn't useful, but maybe a different pulley size would be.
    "faster...Faster...FASTER...Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"
    -Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    95 M3
    There was an excellent thread on this topic in the track forum a little while ago. The conclusion was that power steering is best for an e36.

Fiery just beat me!

My Cars
    2003 ///M5
    So leave it huh?

My Cars
    z06 & Sierra HD
    you decide. go to the store and get a shorter belt. skip over the power steering pulley and see if you like how it drives with no pwer steering. if you like it then remove things if not then just put a factory belt back on.
    do you even know what a plethora is?

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    Skipping over the belt with a full pump/system won't give you the feel of no PS.

You are having to move the fluid through the system and pump as well as steer the car when you do it that way and it is MUCH harder.

That being said, I still wouldn't delete it
    Daniel Rogers
    2001 540i/6

My Cars
    86 300zx 93 300zxTT 95 M3
    you have to either loop the hydro lines in on them selves, or take the rack apart, and delete the hydro piston inside. Then you get that feel i think your looking for. Not only that save weight with out the PS pump, and less drag on the motor. Im doing it to

My Cars
    don't ask
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidrazor
    you have to either loop the hydro lines in on them selves, or take the rack apart, and delete the hydro piston inside. Then you get that feel i think your looking for. Not only that save weight with out the PS pump, and less drag on the motor. Im doing it to
    Yeah then he would gain muscle in his arms and shoulders so weight reduction would be negligable
    -Peter

Current toy: none
    Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidrazor
    Connect the supply lines to and from the pump.

My Cars
    are a work in progress
    cars w/o PS from the factory have different racks, making it easier. thus, just removing PS from a car will not attain the same effect.

My Cars
    don't ask
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxcm
    cars w/o PS from the factory have different racks, making it easier. thus, just removing PS from a car will not attain the same effect.
    Most modern cars without power steering dont have big heavy engines sitting over the front wheels either.
    -Peter

Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    2003 ///M5
    Very interesting to see all the different opionions that you all have! With that being said, what do I trust? Holy crap?? What to do.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bstone
    Very interesting to see all the different opionions that you all have! With that being said, what do I trust? Holy crap?? What to do.
    Umm...lol, leave it alone and be happy you have steering assist.

My Cars
    don't ask
    Go to an open parking lot, start the car moving, then turn it off and let it coast. See how much effort it takes and make your decision. its not so bad when the car is moving, but it takes a LOT of effort when the car is still or moving slowly. It takes so much effort in fact that I can see how your reactions will be significantly slowed down, regardless how much feel doing this gives you.

Coming from an NSX with no power steering (although the car is mid engine), I much prefer the feel of no power steering on cars that were designed without it, but I definitely would keep it on an e36.
    -Peter

My Cars
    2003 ///M5
    I like that Idea! I think that I will keep it and just check all my hose's before I have any problems. Thanks everybody!

My Cars
    '11 XC90, '06 Jetta 2.0T
    I like that Idea! I think that I will keep it and just check all my hose's before I have any problems. Thanks everybody!
    good call.

It sucks to drive these without power steering.
    -Dave

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    My power steering pump died on me a few months ago. Oh man, I had to drive the car with no power steering for a couple weeks while I sourced a new pump, and I tell ya, I will never put myself through that again.

That being said, the engines are too heavy, even with a steering rack designed for no hydro-assist. I recomend underdriving the pulley, if you are looking to gain a few horses.

My Cars
    F10, E30
    With a nice, small steering wheel you can get a nice, firm feel without it being too much. I have a Momo Tuner wheel and the weight of the steering is very nice.

My Cars
    2013 Ferrari F138
    so i get flammed for putting urathane mounts on my tranny, and no one says a thing about a ps delete.

dude your crazy. bmws are so heavy.... try it. a miata with no ps is no sweat, but even then, its noticably heavy.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Don't do it. I drove for about 7 months without power steering lol. I got a new PS pump in there and the car feels 100% more awesome from like 0 mph to 35 mph. After that I couldn't tell. But I had the biggest $hit eating grin once I had PS back!

Oh and it took me 3x as long to park and leave. I also almost got mauled by SUV's trying to turn in a parking lane that I was in because I couldn't crank my wheels fast enough.

My Cars
    3.2L OBD1 Dakar madness M3, '91 white 325ic
    Brady if you ever do this delete, which if you head over to da.com NOW Berlinetta is swapping his out (not because he wanted to) for a z3 steering rack........much better!!!

My Cars
    95 M3 Cosmos, 85 Jeep CJ7
    Um realisticly what do you think your gaining 1hp, saving maybe 5-10 pounds. Is this a daily driver or a track only car. If you drive it on the street it seems like a very bad idea.

RedNeck Racing

My Cars
    2003 ///M5
    thanks Tony. Yeah let me just state again, I will be keeping the P/S. Thanks for everybody's feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast