Thread: :: HUGE 332ti Project ::

My Cars
    BMW #6 (see sig)

I just picked up my new-to-me 1995 318ti with an M3 motor swap. I'm ripping the car apart and putting it back together - with a few minor changes. Here are my plans:

Exterior:

M3 OEM Lip
    Fix e46 Bi-Xenons (high beams stuck "on")
    Remove Eyelids (may need to get new ZKW glass because of adhesive)
    Fix Drivers Side Door Handle (trim keeps falling off)
    Repaint (Cosmos Black? Something black anyway)

Under the hood, etc:
    Sell current CAI
    Buy Conforti CAI
    Sell AA Strut Bar
    Complete Detail
    New All-Aluminum Radiator
    New Water Pump
    New Thermostat
    New Thermostat Housing (aluminum)

Other:
    Sell B&B Triflo Exhaust
    Buy Used Eisenmann Race, Stromung, or Tubi exhaust
    Resonator? (don't have cats)
    Sell RE SSK
    Buy UUC EVO3 SSK

Wheels/Suspension:
    Buy 17x9 Kosei K1's all around (they don't come in 18's, do they?)
    **Kosei's will be for track/autox, and the ASA-AR1's will be DD's, the DS2's for Winter)**
    Tires for Kosei's?
    Rear Sway (unsure on this)

Interior:
    Remove Roll Cage
    Strip Entire Interior
    Extensive Sound Deadening (B-quiet placed on the sheet metal below...)
    - underside of roof
    - back and front faces of door metal
    - floor
    - firewall
    - backside of fenders
    - "trunk" all around
    - A/B/C pillars
    Sell Momo Seats
    Buy Corbeau A4 w/Microsuede
    Reupholster rear seat black (fabric?)
    Speaker System (working out details)
    Amplifyer ("")
    Subs ("")
    Sell Sony Head Unit
    Buy JVC KD-AR5500 Head Unit
    Replace Dash with Black Sedan Dash
    - Fix Horn on Momo Steering Wheel
    - 18 button OBC
    - Dual Digital Climate Control
    - Black Center Console
    - Gauge Pod
    - Water Temp
    - Oil Temp
    - Oil Pressure
    - Voltmeter
    - V1 Stealth Install
    - Make M3 Cluster work with OBC
    Black Carpet (either used or done myself
    Black Floormats
    Black Door Panels
    Black Side Panels
    Headliner (unsure what or how)
    Fix Passenger side window (I think it's just the switch)
    Fix Cruise Control
    Find a good location for battery and rewire everything

And here is what the car was like when I bought it:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=540047

Basically, if you have any insights on any of the above, I'm all ears. I'm definitely doing the above, but if you have suggestions on how to do it or what parts to buy or where to buy them from, I want to hear it!

Thanks guys!

Parts for Sale:
    Sony Head Unit (CD/AM/FM XM Ready)
    Roll Cage
    AA Front Strut Bar
    AA Rear Strut Bar
    Momo Seats
    tan TI dash and center console
    CAI with DINAN Filter
    B&B Triflo Exhaust

Parts to buy:
    Speakers
    Subs
    Amp
    JVC Head Unit
    Digital Climate Control
    18 Button OBC
    Black Interior:
    - Carpet
    - Floor Mats
    - Dash
    - Center Console
    - Shift Boot
    - Glove Box
    - Fabric for rear seats
    - Door Panels
    - Side panels
    - Trunk lining
    - Headliner
    - Handles
    - Sun Visors
    Conforti CAI
    Eisenmann Exhaust (or Stromung or Tubi)
    Passenger Side Window Switch
    UUC EVO3SSK
    17x9 Kosei K1s
    17/35/245's all around?
    Gauges
    - Water Temp
    - Oil Tem
    - Oil Pressure
    - Voltmeter
    Corbeau A4 w/Microsuede Seats (X2)
    All Aluminum Radiator
    Water Pump
    Thermostat
    Thermostat Housing (Aluminum)
    More sightly Battery Housing
    Last edited by Ahheck01; 06-26-2006 at 05:36 PM.
    1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 528i 5speed: Sold

"Success is a series of great decisions backed by action."

"Cowards never start, the weak quit along the way and only the strong survive"

"Success is when opportunity and preparedness meet."

My Cars
    1993 325i
    you werent kidding when you said huge 332ti project.
    the car looks really good and good luck with all the mods its a long list. post when its done.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahheck01
    Fix e46 Bi-Xenons (high beams stuck "on")
    Remove Eyelids (may need to get new ZKW glass because of adhesive)
    Post pics of the e46 bixenon retrofit. I have the xenon lowbeams w/ the projector setup from an X5 retro'ed into my car.

the adhesive should come off the glass with a little goo-gone or a razor blade.

sounds like a lengthy project! should come out nicely though, if everything goes to plan.

My Cars
    Jetta
    I hate to say it, but I think you are going overboard. You bought a very nicely sorted car. It is going to be a lot of work, a lot of money and a lot of headaches. In the end you will have a nicely sorted car but just different.

I recommend checking yourself and your financial situation a bit. Do the basic maintenance items like the coolant system and drive the car a bit. Basically, just make sure you are comfortable with the payments and the maintenance. In the long run, any money you put into this car will wind up as depreciation.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    e36
    I don't mean to bash you, but why would you sell an e39 540i6 to get a Ti? I understand it has the m3 motor, but damn, that e39 is my dream car!

Also, in another thread, you were talking about how hard it was for you to get the money to buy this car, now how are you going to pay for all those mods? Maybe you should finish school first?

My Cars
    BMW #6 (see sig)
    A lot of people are comparing my "how do I get the money..." thread to this thread. Let me clarify.

That original thread about getting the money was not how do I afford it, it's how do I get the bank to recognize its value. My solution was to get it appraised, and the appraisal was for $12k, so the bank gave me the money without blinking an eye.

Payments aren't a problem at all - in fact they're a huge relief after the 540i/6.

That's part of the reason for selling the 540i/6 - payments were huge. I made a little (read: a significant amount of) money by selling it at the time that I did anyway, so it was a wise financial decision to sell it. Also, fuel economy was horrid. I averaged 16mpg, because lets face it, these cars are meant to be driven like you stole it.

Then there's the fun factor. The 540i/6 is an incredible car, and has every creature comfort you can ask for, as well as a fairly well balanced and extremely powerful luxury muscle car.

I just missed feeling the road. The ti gives me what I want. It fits me better. It's more practical to my needs.

This project is an over-the-next-few-years project. I'm doing the dash conversion up front because i'm getting the pieces for $350 all said and done. That's not bad at all. Things like wheels and a repaint are things that are coming way down the road as I save up for them.

I don't see why people worry about my financial life so much

In any case, I appreciate all suggestions about this project, specifically about the best way to go about any particular step.

Thanks guys,

-Evan
    1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 528i 5speed: Sold

My Cars
    1987 M-Tech I 325is
    Buy 17x9 Kosei K1's all around (they don't come in 18's, do they?)
    **Kosei's will be for track/autox, and the ASA-AR1's will be DD's, the DS2's for Winter)**
    Tires for Kosei's?
    If you already have Winter and everyday wheels and tires, I highly recommend getting Yokohama Advan A048's. They are excellent track performance tires and they run about $228 each. great track tires to fit your kosei k1's.

My Cars
    BMW #6 (see sig)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahheck09
    If you already have Winter and everyday wheels and tires, I highly recommend getting Yokohama Advan A048's. They are excellent track performance tires and they run about $228 each. great track tires to fit your kosei k1's.
    lol, go to bed, little bro

My Cars
    BMW #6 (see sig)
    In the near term, I'm looking at swapping the seats, and getting the black interior (I got the black sedan dash, obc, center console, climate control, etc for $350 picked up). Maybe doing the audio system thing.

Need suggestions on how to do or where to get carpeting, door panels, and rear seats n'stuff.

-Evan

My Cars
    97 332ti and some nifty bicycles
    Wow. Nice project; I'm knee-deep in alot of the same shit right now.... mainly the cooling aspects. If you need help along the way or get stuck (looks like you've had some e36 in your past), I've been in alot of the same places you'll be soon, feel free to PM/email me.

I'll probobly be interested in the AA strut bars and a few other things on the list, too. I'm planning on getting some lighter seats soon, so if you need black sport seats, hit me up... Iowa is a nice day trip!

Glad to see this car went into the right hands; I remember when Maroulin was first building it up.

~Nich

Edit: Just saw your seating plans. I'm sure we can work out a trade of some sort (my sport black stuff for your Momos or possibly other stuff...)
    WTB:
    M Coupe/M Roadster Rear Subframe (diff, half shafts, brakes, RTA's...EVERYTHING)
    Z3 1.9 steering rack
    318Ti M-Tech rear bumper in decent shape

My Cars
    1987 M-Tech I 325is
    I realize you aren't planning on getting your racing wheels/tires anytime soon, but if you do end up getting them sooner than later, I am changing my previous statement. For Auto-X I would recommend putting some 245 Falken Azenis rt-615's on there. Rated number one Auto-X tire of 2005 by Grassroots motorsports, and I have heard nothing but good things about them. They are also less than half the price of the A048's per wheel saving you over $500. If you are looking for auto-x wheels rather than track wheels the azenis are excellent. They will work fine for an occasional track event but I hear they get pretty greasy, so they arent ideal. But if you're mainly an auto-x person, then for $113 each, the Azenis are incredible for that price. Just something to think about. http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm
    ~Matt~ ::::: 1987 BMW 325i: Sold :: 1987 BMW M-Tech I 325is : Sold :: 1997-1999 BMW M3????? :::::

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    good luck with your project, keep us posted with pics!

oh and FYI, the k1 only comes in a 17x8.5 et40 fitment for the e36.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    BMW #6 (see sig)
    Quote Originally Posted by themadhatter
    good luck with your project, keep us posted with pics!

oh and FYI, the k1 only comes in a 17x8.5 et40 fitment for the e36.
    Will do, and thanks for the info.

Later down the road, (a few years - perhaps just out of college), I'll go with a D/A Coilover setup, e46 6speed tranny, e46 330i rear brakes, and.... I'll complete the list tomrrow - unconscious.

-Evan