Thread: Bosch F7LDCR .VS. NGK BKR6EK

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick

Question Bosch F7LDCR .VS. NGK BKR6EK

I just talked to the parts person at my local bmw dealership and asked about proper spark plugs for my 92' 325I, and he replied with the standard Bosch F7LDCR. I had as well told him that I had just purchased some NGK BKR6EK and what he thought of them compared to his bosch ones from the dealership, and he said that the NGK's are one temperature colder? and that running them would just damage the oxygen sensor I was just purchasing from them.

Soo.. is what he said truly true? Does anybody know for a fact if the ngk's are a step colder then the bosch ones they were offering me? What kind of consequences are there to running colder ones (loss mpg, rich afr, worse ignition sparking?)? Should i return the ngk ones and go with the standard bosch plugs instead?

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    bump for some help

My Cars
    E39 525i manual sport
    go with the bosch. Many people have had great experiences with Bosch and NGK, more people will tell you to go with NGK. But I would go with Bosch since they can run more 100K on platinums. I have platinums +2 myself.

Cosmos - Black l l Lux l HK l OEM clears all around l Depo HID's 55W 5000K l Strut bar

My Cars
    e36
    in the UK we recomend NGK but bosch for M cars

My Cars
    BMW 328is , 535i M Sport
    Old thread but was reading it to see if a fair comparison was made. According to the manual, it does say:

Quote:

Spark plugs
    Dual electrode:
    Bosch F7 L DC R or
    NGK BKR 6 EK

So clearly both can be used with no issues. The guy at the dealership apparently does not know what he is talking about seeing the manual distinctly says both are recommended.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    The guy at the parts counter is an expert at looking at a computer screen and punching in part numbers. He most certainly isn't an expert on spark plug design and engineering. While he may be correct about cold/hot rating on the plug....I always ask experts whenever I have a question like this.....

Knowledge is power.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...k_plugs/p2.asp

My Cars
    1997 328iS - Boston Grün
    M52 spark plugs have been superseded by the 4-prong NGK BKR6EQUP or Bosch FGR7DQP.

Currently (Feb 2013) NGK won the bid for spark plugs from BMW Parts Division, so you will receive NGK BKR6EQUP plugs from your BMW dealer unless he has NOS Bosch on his shelves. If you are buying Genuine OEM BMW plugs from the dealer (that have "BMW" stamped on them), Bosch or NGK will perform the same.
    Ian - Canton, OH

My Cars
    95 6sp 332is 98 5sp 328i
    I've had great success with just the NGK BKR6E single prong plugs, I like single prong because it lets you keep the plugs gapped, two prong or more plugs it cannot be done properly. I find plugs need re-gapping every 10k miles or less, I found my plugs increased to .040+ in just 6k miles, up from the .032 OE spec in that amount of time.
    95 Hellrot/Modena 332is, 287k chassis 143k S52, 6 speed 420g, DS2's, 3.23 LSD, 97+ facelift, 96+ climate control conversion.
    98 Alpine white/Black and Tan, 328i Sedan 226k chassis 163k M52, Auto to 5 speed ZF manual swapped, E46 sport seats, 2.93 open diff, style 30 wheels, OEM M3 catback, nothing special here

My Cars
    1992 Opel Rekord 3.8i

Heat Chart

Different manufacturers have different heat ratings NGK's 6 is equivalent to a Bosch 6-7, see here https://www.boschsparkplugs.net/lear...nversion-chart

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Sedan
    Lol the two year bump. I used single electrode NGK copper plugs on my last tuneup. Had a slightly rough startup for a few weeks then went away. I'm thinking about swapping them out for dual electrode platinums.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Oh hell ...why not?

Ive seen obdI engines that love copper, some that are fine with platinum +4.

I realized earlier today im still running those $1.50 ea. Autolites in my m50 without a single hiccup ...nearly a year later.
    "It's not what you buy- it's what you build" - unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by EnlightenMe View Post
    Thanks, you've been more help than most mechanics in Souther California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beitie View Post
    Yet another great post mgoods50!
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillajin View Post
    Thank you everybody who inputs here, specially mgoods50!

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    I came across this article and thought it would be good to share with the forum.

Impact of spark plug number of ground electrodes on engine stability