Thread: Fan delete with underdrive pulleys?

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline

Question Fan delete with underdrive pulleys?

I'm thinking of doing the fan delete, but I'm also thinking of getting underdrive pulleys, including the one for the water pump. Thus the rotational speed of the water pump at idle will be lower than stock. The fan delete mod works to keep the engine cool even at idle, but even with the regular pulleys, it seems to me that it's cutting it close. So if I underdrive the water pump on top of doing the fan delete, it might be too much. What do you guys think? Has anyone done both? The car is a daily driver btw (and occasionally a driving school/track car).

My Cars
    don't ask
    Worked fine on my car.
    -Peter

Current toy: none
    Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    3.2L OBD1 Dakar madness M3, '91 white 325ic
    If you're going to do the underdrive pulleys do them all, yes even the alternator pulley. Go to Eurosporthighperformance.com to get the whole set, and trust me you won't find a better set of pulleys.

As far as the fan delete goes, especially since it's your daily driver AND you track it sometimes, I would invest in an electric fan. Mine is the same size as the radiator, weights around 3-4 pounds and comes on with the first click of the key, so I can let the engine cool down after events without running the car.

Never F%#@ with the coolant system for 2 RWHP

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVA
    I would invest in an electric fan. Mine is the same size as the radiator, weights around 3-4 pounds and comes on with the first click of the key, so I can let the engine cool down after events without running the car.
    But if you're not running the car, the water pump is not turning, so you're not really cooling the engine even if that electric fan is on - it's just cooling the coolant in the radiator... which never reaches the engine... right?

How much does that electric fan cost?

My Cars
    M3, 335, S2K, 5.7 Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by todor
    But if you're not running the car, the water pump is not turning, so you're not really cooling the engine even if that electric fan is on - it's just cooling the coolant in the radiator... which never reaches the engine... right?

How much does that electric fan cost?
    The cooling isn't nearly as effective as it would be if the coolant were flowing, but there should be some cooling none-the-less. If the engine is hot, then the thermostat is open and the coolant in the engine is continuous with the coolant in the rad.

I bought a fan from Bimmerworld for $75.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Get a fan. I've got my fan connected to the lower temp on the thermostat and I've heard it go on even while driving in slow traffic. It'll definitely go on when you stop at a light for more than 2 minutes It's even turned on while driving slowly at night.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

Makr is offline Snark engineer PHD Moderator
    My Cars
    '85 635
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVA
    Never F%#@ with the coolant system for 2 RWHP

Yeah ,cuz you might find yourself in Las Vegas changing all of the coolant related parts out on the side of the road.
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ride fast, safety last.