RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Window Motor Repair vs. Replacement

My Cars
    1988 BMW 528e

Window Motor Repair vs. Replacement

Greetings!

I thought I'd pass along my recent experience re: the failure of a window motor on my '88 528e.

The front passenger window would not work. I did a series of tests and found that power was present at the switches as well as at the plug near the motor. So, the reasonable deduction was that the motor was bad.

I called my favorite BMW parts store and found that a new motor would cost close to $290. WOW!! They didn't have any used one on hand so I don't know for sure what a used one would cost.

However, not very far from where I live is an automotive electric motor repair shop. They do all sorts of repairs on things like starters, alternators, etc. So, I dropped by two days ago and showed them the motor and explained the situation.

"No problem," the owner said. "We'll have it ready for you tomorrow afternoon."

I did pick up the repaired motor yesterday afternoon, installed it and had the door panel back together in about 20 minutes. It works great again!

Total repair cost: $45.
    Former owner of 1988 BMW 528e -- now in the scrap metal pile.

My Cars
    2013 Ferrari F138
    yea you can do that. what goes wrong with them is their brushes crap out. just like an rc car.