Thread: No Dash Lights, No Power Windows

My Cars
    91 318i

No Dash Lights, No Power Windows

I recently replaced the starter on my 91 318i. After hooking the battery back up, I noticed that the windows didn't work. And tonight I noticed the dash lights and blower controls dont work either. All was working before and I am lost on where to start, especially since I dont have any type of wiring diagrams for this car. I tried searching and didn't find much. So if someone could help me out on this problem it would be greatly apreciated.
    Thanks, Dustin

My Cars
    91 318i
    Anything guys, need some help..the heat is killing me...No A/C, no windows and leather sucks

My Cars
    91 318i
    bump

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325is (RIP) 2006 MINI Cooper S JCW
    check the fuses first. go on from there

My Cars
    91 318i
    well that's the problem, I'm not sure where to go from there...I don't know what's in the circuit that could keep all these from working at the same time

My Cars
    92´325ic turbo, 07´335i coupe
    dimmer control goes from light switch- is it turned full clockwise, rotate left and right to check if lights come back, sometimes it loses contact inside. if all other lights are ok then its probably dimmer control

windows work when doors are opened or when ignition is on. if it does not work either way its relay( hidden under the dash ) or you have pushed and switched off thermotime switch near window switches

My Cars
    '87 325is..'90 325is
    yea I have a little problem with my dash lights too. My rpm and temp light doesn't work.It shows the reading,but it doesnt light up at night. The fuel and Mph lights are ok tho. I replaced the bulb and still no worky.

anyone chime in?

My Cars
    280z, Cherokee Trailhawk
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick S
    windows work when doors are opened or when ignition is on. if it does not work either way its relay( hidden under the dash ) or you have pushed and switched off thermotime switch near window switches

There's an unmarked button on the dash of 4 doors that will disable windows along with the one by the shifter. I know it sounds kind of stupid to check, but most often it's the simple things we overlook...

My Cars
    91 318i
    Yea, all the switches are in the right position..I knew about all this before I posted....played with the dimmer switch some and still nothing...No light on the dash work besides the hazard and defrost buttons, blower doesn't work along with the a/c switch....and of course the windows..I'm clueless to what's going on with this damn thing..If anyone else has anything to say please chime in..it would be greatly apprciated

My Cars
    91 318i
    also noticed that since this started that the srs lamp has been on

My Cars
    91 318i
    No one has any cue what's going on with this piece?

My Cars
    91 318i
    In case anyone is interested, it was the K5 relay..along with K6 and 7...Thanks for all your help anyways

My Cars
    E36 M3, E30 325is
    and where are they located? under the dash, just like Patrick.S said?
    coz my windows doesn't work too, but dash lights up fine. no speedo and rev though.

My Cars
    1987 325e
    my tachometer doesnt work, but all the other gages do. funny though because when i flip the lights on. the tach and water temp gage light up, but the tach doesnt even work. either do my windows....the battery accidently came disconnected....my dad did some wierd thing were he looked at a wiring diagram put speaker wire into 1 slot of the window switch and another speaker wire to the window switch and had me connect them to the + and - terminals to the battery and they rolled right up. ive noticed with the older BMW.s they have MANY electrical problems. any help would be nice.

email-hellcatattack2@hotmail.comg

My Cars
    08 650i 08 128i 02 325ci
    Ok, here is my stab at this. It sounds simple.
    When you replaced the starter, there should have been a power feed wire connecting to the starter to power these things. Look around for a loose wire by the starter (and surrounding areas) and connect it back to the same post the positive lead hooks up. That should get it working.