Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replaced Coolant Level Sensor...Still Broken

My Cars
    1995 M3
    That's what I meant when I said "just top it off for the next couple of days until the level is stable".
    That implies what? (hint: pssst...not all air removed)

My Cars
    95 M3 and 15 Fiesta ST
    My "check coolant level" has been on and off the last few days. Weird. I haven't touched the coolant. But it was gone the last few times I've started her up.

It came on last night again tho....

My Cars
    Satan's ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy 13immer
    My "check coolant level" has been on and off the last few days. Weird. I haven't touched the coolant. But it was gone the last few times I've started her up.

It came on last night again tho....
    Is it coming on while driving, at startup, at shutdown....? Have you replaced the sensor ever?
    For Sale:

-TMS Performance Chip for '95 M3 (413 DME)

-100 watt Kenwood Amp

-Stock Airbox for '95 M3 w K&N Filter

-Stock Airbox for '96 M3

-Stock '96 M3 Springs

-Stock '96 M3 Crank Pulley

My Cars
    95 M3, Toyota 4x4 & 02 R1
    OK guys, I have had this problem as well for some time now. Let me start off by explaining what was happening to my car. The car would bleed fine and the level would be right at the cold mark every morning. But after running the car when I would shut it down I would get the check coolant message. I went through and replaced the rad cap, updated the coolant sensor to the new pug style, and did the Stewart water pump. When I did the water pump I noticed some plastic in the expansion tank, I cleaned out the tank and tried too look for cracks, but didn’t see any. Well yesterday my upper rad hose fell off some how, prompting me to do another flush. I figured that I might as well do the expansion tank too. Guess what, no more messages on shut down. I also cut open the old tank at the top to see what was inside. My plastic came from the heater core tube, which I could not see from the opening. Here is another interesting thing, with the new tank, when I shine a light on it to see where the coolant is, it is only on one side of the tank, where as with the old tank coolant filled all chambers, which I believe was caused by the crack in the tank. If you are in a similar situation, give the new tank a try.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    could someone please post part numbers for the expansion tank, radiator cap, and low coolant sensor? i have a '99 M3 e36, dont know if it makes a difference or not...

thanks
    picture coming soon...

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    You mean both chambers are not supposed to be filled? (when looking down the filler neck, I see a "wall" slightly to the right of the middle, creating two seperate chambers.) Mine always have the same level fluid height.

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle[B
    My plastic came from the heater core tube[/B], which I could not see from the opening. Here is another interesting thing, with the new tank, when I shine a light on it to see where the coolant is, it is only on one side of the tank, where as with the old tank coolant filled all chambers, which I believe was caused by the crack in the tank. If you are in a similar situation, give the new tank a try.
    Heater core plastic?
    The heater core is located behind the OBC. You mean the rad core?
    The core is metal. The side tanks on the OEM rad's are plastic as is the recovery/expansion tank.

My Cars
    95 M3 and 15 Fiesta ST
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2Rocket
    Is it coming on while driving, at startup, at shutdown....? Have you replaced the sensor ever?
    It didnt come on at all. Weird. I have not replaced the sensor. But now it is back on consistantly. I dont know why it didnt come on in the first place.

My Cars
    95 M3, Toyota 4x4 & 02 R1
    After running the car both tanks have equalized, and the tube in the tank connects to the rubber hose that runs to the heater core, so I called it the heater core tube. I suspect that the crack in the heater core tube in my expansion tank changed the flow while the motor was running, and tripping my check coolant sensor. I have driven the car 4 times today and I have still yet to get the warning light. I am still trying to put it all together, and I figure if we all put our minds together we can solve this for good. But I do believe that it has something to do with the expansion tank and how it functions

My Cars
    95 m3
    same prob. im looking into different outcomes working w/ my mechanic, will update 4 solutions
    95 m3 DKR

My Cars
    95 m3 coupe
    to check and see if it is the sensor just get a piece of wire and connect the the two terminals on the plug going to the sensor if it stops with the wire then u know ur sensor is bad

My Cars
    2010 535i 6MT
    Apologies if this has been covered here but it solved this exact problem.
    Read from post #33 on:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=949577&page=2

/thread?
    \\\Whitepower
    Previous: '95 M3, '99 M3 Cab

My Cars
    97 M3/4 Byzanz/Magma; 01 330i Silver/Grey
    I've heard that replacing the reservoir fixed the issue for some, but never an explanation as detailed as that. It seems reasonable.

I've had a new radiator and reservoir sitting in the garage for months, hopefully my "Check Coolant Level" message will go away when I get around to replacing them.
    HPDE Instructor: BMWCCA / PCA / Apex

My Cars
    2010 535i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeron View Post
    I've heard that replacing the reservoir fixed the issue for some, but never an explanation as detailed as that. It seems reasonable.

I've had a new radiator and reservoir sitting in the garage for months, hopefully my "Check Coolant Level" message will go away when I get around to replacing them.
    I'm almost certain it will...
    \\\Whitepower
    Previous: '95 M3, '99 M3 Cab

My Cars
    BMW '95 M3
    I had the same issue- check coolant level warning light on OBC before and after I started my car. I bought a new sensor and decided to flush and replace my coolant as part of my inspection II. I bled the car according to the Bentley manual- with the heater on full blast. But unfortunately while doing all of this my battery died. When I received a boost and finished bleeding my car I started it up and guess what- no more "Check Coolant Level" light on my OBC. It has been a couple of months now since I replaced my coolant and no issues. Now I don't know if my sensor was damaged, it looks like it was, or if I bled the system correctly, I think I did, or maybe it just could be due to the fact that jump starting my dead battery caused the code to go away but I don't have this issue any more.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Does anyone have an aluminum expansion tank, like mishimoto, and has this issue gone away? Or not?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Does the expansion tank use the stock sensor? If so, then it is the sensor. I've had several aftermarket show up DOA. Replace with a $90 BMW one and be done with it. If not, here is how you can test it. Plug the connector into the sensor and hang it upside down....if the error message pops up, the sensor is bad...it is really that simple.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123