Thread: how do i remove starter from 93 318is?

My Cars
    1980 Firebird

how do i remove starter from 93 318is?

hey guys my brother has a 93 318is and we are pretty sure that the starter has crapped out.

what i need to know is how to take the starter out. i know where it is, but it looks to me like i need to take his manifold off.

i did a google search, but didn't come up with anything real good and i went to bimmerdiy.com and didn't see anything there either.

any help would be great. thanks

jon
    “If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    up
    “If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

My Cars
    10/96 318IS
    Can be reached with a mix of working from above and below with extensions.
    On the 6 pot it's the single hardest part to reach & replace.
    Lucky for you having the 4 pot, you can reach it without taking off the intake manifold and wiper assembly.
    Held on only by two nuts and 2 bolts (- the electrical connectors). Nut side being closer to the front. Most likly will need torches to to heat them up before you attemp to crack them since theirs not much room in their for leverage.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

My Cars
    318is 92', Integra 92'
    there's 2 bolt with torx head olding the starter itself, and 3 nut olding the wires for a total of 5... more easy if you remove the upper intake manifold part!
    M42 Club Member 162!
    Tinted Windows | Pioneer Deck | 12" pioneer sub | 760w Pioneer Amp | Bilstein Shocks and H&R Springs soon

My Cars
    Current: '95 ///M3 R.I.P '93 318is
    HAHAHA, wow I did that once on my old 318is and it was quite possibly the worst thing I ever had to do. The biggest PITA of everything I ever did to that car. IF you have small hands and a slim wrench you can get to it from the bottom and top but take the wiper assembly off. The problem with this method is that it's hard to seed the new starter into place. Don't be like me and have to do this install a second time. The 2nd time I wised up and just took the upper and lower intake manifolds off. Don't worry it's not near as hard as the manual makes it seem. It takes some time but will, in my opinion, make the overall install go faster.

My Cars
    1997 bmw 328i convert.
    i just did it on my 328ic automatic. VERY hard to do. the entire intake system, wipers, and other stuff had to come out first.

one guy posted and said that it could've been done from below. i just don't believe it - at least not without removing some serious gear first.

all manuals, bmw, haynes, and bentley say to go in from the top for my car. don't know about yours.

good luck.
    sidvicious
    97 BMW 328i Convertable [My first BMW]

60k miles
    Automatic
    99 New Beetle TDI
    Blown engine [through negligence]
    Under self repair [oh hell!]

2004 Toyota Sequoia
    2003 Buick Rendezvous

My Cars
    1980 Firebird
    thanks fella's.

will my bentley manual show me how to take my actual manifold off?

My Cars
    Current: '95 ///M3 R.I.P '93 318is
    I just got the Bently so I dunno. The Haynes (the manual I used to use) had a nice detailed layout of how to remove the manifold. Being that the Bently is more comprehensive I imagine it does too, I would go check but it's in my trunk, the car's in the driveway, it's raining, and my shoes are not within sight. Sorry

My Cars
    '92 318i, '96 318ti Cali Top
    Go in from the top. You will be more sure to re-install it correctly the first time. But while the TB and intake is off, check the fuel lines where they connect to the fuel rail for cracks. Clean your injectors, ICV, inspect coolant hoses and connections, vacuum hoses, and change your fuel filter. This way you won't have to pull the top of the motor again for maybe 30,000 - 40,000 miles.
    [IMG]http://forums.***************************************?att achmentid=155959&stc=1&d=1149271070[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '92 318i, '96 318ti Cali Top
    Did you get the starter out?