Thread: To 332is the car or supercharge the car...

My Cars
    2004 330ci, 2007 M Coupe

To 332is the car or supercharge the car...

That is the question... hehe. Hey all I have a 97 328is with 165xxx miles on it. I would be afraid to try to find a supercharge an engine with that many miles on it. The engine is still flawless and pulls like a truck. Something just screams at me for trying to supercharge an engine with that many miles on it. I saw a post on here recently of a guy getting a 3.2 leter engine with 88k miles on it for 2400. I don't need that low of miles but would be nice to have under 100k. How much am I looking at money wise? I'm trying to do the most cost effective for horsepower. Would be cool to have a 332is as well. Let me know your thoughts

~Justin

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    332is. Get used to the smaller bump in power, then when you start to figure out what to do with yor right foot, think about FI for the 332.

My Cars
    IG: Clearsandadrop
    Cam and m50 manifold your motor (relatively cheap mods that give you big power gains), then supercharge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenos
    That is the question... hehe. Hey all I have a 97 328is with 165xxx miles on it. I would be afraid to try to find a supercharge an engine with that many miles on it. The engine is still flawless and pulls like a truck. Something just screams at me for trying to supercharge an engine with that many miles on it. I saw a post on here recently of a guy getting a 3.2 leter engine with 88k miles on it for 2400. I don't need that low of miles but would be nice to have under 100k. How much am I looking at money wise? I'm trying to do the most cost effective for horsepower. Would be cool to have a 332is as well. Let me know your thoughts

~Justin

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by m3mobbin
    Cam and m50 manifold your motor (relatively cheap mods that give you big power gains), then supercharge.
    But if you are going to supercharge a car, wouldn't you want a cam that goes with it? A cam or an NA motor is going to be different than a cam for a properly SCed motor.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    I'd 332is it, for a couple of reasons. The first is if your planning on more upgrades later it would be a lot nicer to do those upgrades to a motor that is starting out at a higher HP rating.Second there are way more kits and mods made for the S52, S50 than the M series motors.Its an easy swap so why not do it then supercharge it later..I'm doing the 332I mod myself here in a couple of weeks looking forward to the added 50 hp it will be fun.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Why don't you rebuild the 2.8l and then FI...
    2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT No roof No Power or Heated Seats No Nav

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    332is ftw!
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    Jetta
    332is is cheaper. It isn't a huge power increase, but it is a better motor. There is nothing wrong with an engine with 165K miles. You would need to have it checked out and possibly rebuilt though before going FI.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Its still however a 50 HP increase which is quite a bit more than what we are pushing stock, and then you can FI that and get way more power than the M52 could put out.

f ll th bl nks is offline <font color=red>License Revoked</font>
    My Cars
    Yes
    If you think you'll be satisfied with the power from an S50/2 then do that swap. But if you're not sure then just rebuild now. I wouldn't focus too much on swapping then supercharging. There's plenty of FI options whether you have an S or M engine.

f ll th bl nks is offline <font color=red>License Revoked</font>
    My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by leedawg
    Its still however a 50 HP increase which is quite a bit more than what we are pushing stock, and then you can FI that and get way more power than the M52 could put out.
    Ya but 50bhp becomes not so significant when you begin to tap into the 300 and 400 hp range.
    And if he rebuilds right then he'll end up with a motor that's just fine or better compared to an S50/2 with 80k miles.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    OH I totally agreeThen hes looking at as much if not more than the S52, pretty much its just how much money do you want to spend. I opted the swap route is farily cheap and pretty good pay off in HP and still NA my goal is to never be FI, so the extra displacement is helpful in attaining more power.