Thread: Can you run an e46 s54 engine with a 2001-2 M road/coupe ecu and harness?

My Cars
    328is

Can you run an e46 s54 engine with a 2001-2 M road/coupe ecu and harness?

I can find e46 s54 engines and sub-assemblies easily and cheaply, but it is hard to find m roadster/coupe engines and sub-assemblies. Is it possible to run an e46 s54 with M coupe/roadster ecu, wiring harness, cooling system, intake manifold?

My Cars
    1995 Cosmos M3
    yes, assuming you mean in an E36 chassis?
    1995 Cosmos M3

Wanted (New or Used):
    3.2L Euro Supersprint Headers / Kromerkraft headers

For Sale:
    Many E36 M3 Items for Sale

My Cars
    328is
    Yes, in a 1995 m3 chassis.

My Cars
    1996 M3
    Old thread revival:

I can't remember and can't seem to find details... Does the 2001 - 2002 S54 from the M Coupes and M Roadsters use the throttle by wire like the E46 M3?

Also, has anyone actually down this? Used a E46 M3 engine with a 2001 - 2002 M Coupes/Roadsters electronics?

Looking on RealOEM, the wiring harness & DME look to be around $2,000. Maybe another $1,000 for the other little things sensor-wise. Seems like this would be about the same cost as doing a TEC3 install but retains the OEM EMS. A big consideration if emissions is an issue
    Last edited by ///brian92fs; 11-20-2006 at 11:49 PM.

My Cars
    1996 M3
    No one's done this? I've read a few other threads talking about it being feasible.

I've also read how the E46 EMS is VERY big challenge to get to work in the E36. Basically how everything is integrated into the EMS, unlike the E36 chassis that has several subsystems. I understand that the 2001-2002 M Roadster/Coupes don't have the fully integrated EMS like the E46's

My Cars
    1996 M3
    Bump... no one has any thoughts on this?

My Cars
    99 ///M3
    It can be done, yes. I have no idea how. I don't see why you couldn't just swap everything from the M coupe over into the E36. Unfortunately my knowledge of electronics in these cars is lacking.

There was a guy who was able to do the E46 M3 swap in to an E36 M3 using it's wiring harness. Apparently he had shop with a special programming feature that is not availible in the US, in which they were able to make the E46 meet the E36. Or something close to that.

My Cars
    318is...or is it
    Just buy a euro 3.2, basically the same thing with an easier swap to do.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by M pwrd View Post
    Just buy a euro 3.2, basically the same thing with an easier swap to do.
    Unless you live in a state with emissions testing and own a 96+ M3. Your car won't be road legal w/european non-OBDII motors.

My Cars
    1996 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by epj3 View Post
    Unless you live in a state with emissions testing and own a 96+ M3. Your car won't be road legal w/european non-OBDII motors.
    Exactly. Not a practical option in CA

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by epj3 View Post
    Original poster stated it is for a 95 M3.
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    1996 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ModenaM3 View Post
    It can be done, yes. I have no idea how. I don't see why you couldn't just swap everything from the M coupe over into the E36. Unfortunately my knowledge of electronics in these cars is lacking.

There was a guy who was able to do the E46 M3 swap in to an E36 M3 using it's wiring harness. Apparently he had shop with a special programming feature that is not availible in the US, in which they were able to make the E46 meet the E36. Or something close to that.
    That was my thoughts. I'm wondering is there is a way to do this swap for the "average" bfc user.

The one thing I cannot find info on is syncing the EWS. If you buy the motor, then get a DME & harness from the dealer, whats involved in getting the EWS to work. Anyone have experience on this?

I know a mechanic at the local dealer. I was going to ask him about it next time I see him. Just curious in anyone else has knowledge on this.

My Cars
    1996 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitolo View Post
    Original poster stated it is for a 95 M3.
    Still iffy in a state like CA. One trip to the Referee and your hosed. I always blew that off as never happening until a cop got me a few months ago. Pulled me over for no reason and sent me to the referee just to harass me. Not a big deal for me, other that $40 inspection fee and a day in court. But imagine the PITA if you had a Euro or stand alone S54 swap in.