Thread: 2006 Z4 M Roadster problem

My Cars
    Z4M Coupe & Infiniti FX45

2006 Z4 M Roadster problem

Hi – I have a 2006 BMW M Roadster. When I ordered it the salesperson (Anne @ BMW in London Ontario) explained to me in some detail how the alarm system works and how to turn the motion sensor off on hot sunny days because that could set the alarm off due to air viscosity and how it effects the closed roof. I was most impressed. I was never told that it was not a standard feature. When I went to pick up the car the salesperson once again told me how the alarm worked!!

I got the car on March 30, 2006. Did the 2000 km running-in period and took the car in for servicing. I had noticed that the alarm did not seem to be working. I asked the service consultant (Ken @ BMW London Ontario) about this & he said he would look into it. When I went to pick up the car I was told that my CAD $75,000 car did not come with an alarm and I would have to pay CAD $800 to have it installed. He was surprised that the car did not have an alarm because all Z4’s to-date had alarms fitted in the factory. I was a little ticked at not being told this up-front and being lead to believe that it was a standard option by the salesperson. Told them to go ahead and put it in - I paid them my dues. It took TWO DAYS to fit the alarm. I picked the car up at 5 pm and within 15 minutes I could hear this squeaking coming either from the folded roof or the mid-console. Please note that there was no squeaky noise when the roof was up. Took the car right back the next day. The dealership worked on it for TWO more days and then returned it on Friday evening. I was disgusted and drove my Infiniti over the weekend. On Sunday I took the BMW M out and within 70km the noise had returned. Tuesday the car was back at the dealership for another TWO days. They finally fix that problem!!

Then I drive around for another 300km or so with the roof down. We than have a cold day and I close the roof. It starts creaking & squeaking right behind my left ear (driver side is left hand drive) with the roof up!! That noise had never been there before the alarm was put in and the noise with the roof down had not been fixed. The service manager (Brad @ BMW London Ontario) tells me that the creaking and squeaking is normal because it is a rag-top. NO IT’S NOT – that's my opinion!! It was not there before and it only comes from the left side. I am no BMW technician but - come on!

Now questions –

1) Was BMW lying in the beginning when they told me how the alarm worked and implied that it was a standard feature or was it incompetence? What should be the consequence for the waste of my time and the 7 days the car has already spend in the shop due to BMW either lying or not passing on information to the dealership i.e. incompetence? I do not like dealer installed options because the fitting is never ‘right’ and I would have ordered the alarm to be fitted in the factory. They tell me that I cannot order the alarm from the factory. If I had known this up-front I would have ordered the SL 55 AMG. Would this be a breach of contract – if I was not misinformed then I would not have ordered the BMW product?

2) Has anyone else had the alarm system installed because it is not a factory installed item? If yes then what has been your experience?

3) Has anyone had issues with the Z4’s or Z4 M’s roof creaking and would you accept the service manager’s opinion that a new noise that is only on one side is normal and is a design feature and that the car will do that because it is a rag-top?

Thanks and I look forward to your advice.

My Cars
    2013 335i xdrive msport
    Factory Alarm has always been an option (or so I am 99% sure of). I bet the salesperson would have assumed that you knew this...
    ~Chris

My Cars
    m3
    Yes the alarm is optional ...i 2nd that

My Cars
    Thank you for the reply. I am actually more interested in the creaking and squeaking noise coming from the left side when the roof is up at this time. Would you guys expect this to happen? I am specifically asking Z4 owners for their opinion. Thanks.

My Cars
    Oh - and the salesperson went through the list of options at the time of ordering and the alarm was not one of them. I picked the premium package as well as the GPS.

My Cars
    2013 335i xdrive msport
    I don't know about the squeeking sound, but I know creaking and random intermittant sounds are a normal part of a car, I guess it depends on how loud it is and how often it happens. I mean, my steering wheel squeeks when i make turns, my back seat rattles/squeeks on bumpier roads, etc, but it happens.

As for the alarm, go back and check your order or the sticker that came on the car, does the premium pkg include an alarm? Just because it says 'premium package' doesnt mean an alarm will be included, same goes with the GPS option....the GPS option is strictly what it is, GPS, not GPS + alarm...catch my crift here? I just seems like you're getting upset over something you should have double-checked upon ordering the car.

Salespersons job is to make a sale, your job was to know what you were buying...that's my take at least.
    ~Chris

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Normally the keyless entry is standard ... however, the siren, motion sensor and tilt sensors are optional. I upgraded my keyless entry to have the alarm. It was easy to do on my car... it just required having the dealer activate the added accessories.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    Thank you for your replies Preppy, Kevlar, & HelloMoto. I appreciate the input. Preppy is 100% correct that neither the premium package nor the GPS have anything to do with the alarm - I knew that. I also want to point out that BMW is stating for the record that the alarm is not a factory option. It is a dealer option and dealer option alone. I also agree with Preppy that the salespersons job is to sell and my job is to know what I am buying. Providing disinformation is, however, illegal.

My problem is the squeaking noise on only the left side. This noise started after the alarm was installed. This noise is constant and gets worse in cold weather. I can still hear the creaking even when I turn up the volume on my premium ;-) music system because that is part of the premium package!! I would still like to know from Z4 owners if they have had similar problems after their alarms were installed. If they have had this issue then I am insterested in knowing of any potential solution/s. A Z3 owner tells me that his 98 Z3 and 00 M are noise free.

I don't mean to be rude but please do not reply if you so not own either a Z3 or a Z4.

My Cars
    Z4
    Had a similar squeek, dealer had to replace the oddments box trim (51-46-6-978-107?). To test this, push down gentle on the plastic in the center of the car, just inside the cloth top when top is down. It is my understanding that this piece was removed to install the motion sensor and may not be properly reinstalled.

Good luck
    Rich2