Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Day: Car Prep?

My Cars
    98 cosmos M3, 98 332

Track Day: Car Prep?

Alright so the BMWCCA event is this weekend, what should I do to my car to prepare for it?

How should I prepare my M for it? Is it really that necessary to mask the front end of the car with painters tape?

Should I remove the spare wheel/tool kit? Or will that throw my 50/50 weight distribution off....

Any other recommendations/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-chris

Mustaches For Kids 2008
    www.m4knc.com

My Cars
    BMW M3 LTW
    Quote Originally Posted by schussey
    Alright so the BMWCCA Event at Barber Motorsports Park is coming up this weekend, and I absolutely cannot wait!

How should I prepare my M for it? Is it really that necessary to mask the front end of the car with painters tape?

Should I remove the spare wheel/tool kit? Or will that throw my 50/50 off....

Any other recommendations/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-chris
    don't worry about any of that...just get a good night's rest and show up early enough for the student DE meeting, reg and tech...have fun, listen to your instructor ...mask the headlights if you want...
    Sunir
    M3 LTW
    #22 HP

My Cars
    E36 IS #565, SpecE46
    ss lines, new ATE fluid, get a decent track pad, take out all your mats and spare, get your tech done at German Speed Merchants on Market Street. You can tape off your front too, but be ready for some rock chips.
    Cold Tires + Wall = Suck

My Cars
    M Coupe
    Oil change can't hurt either
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Alright so the BMWCCA event is this weekend, what should I do to my car to prepare for it?
    Just make sure you have enough tread on your tires, enough material on your brake pads, and fresh fluids. No other preparations needed.

Not unless you want to look like a wanker...seems like a huge waste of time to me. A few paint chips are no big deal. Assuming you are going to the Barber event, there aren't any rocks of sand to worry about anyway.

Should I remove the spare wheel/tool kit? Or will that throw my 50/50 weight distribution off....
    50/50 weight distribution is overrated.

For your first event, you shouldn't need to worry about replacing brake lines or using a track pad. Just go out and have fun.

My Cars
    98 cosmos M3, 98 332
    Already had Rogue Engineering RSM's installed, as well as new ATE fluid.

I would have gotten the work done at German Speed Merchants in Wilmington, but I have been in Birmingham for the past week already (where the event is)

Should I mask the headlights even though they are the shitty stock plastic bullshiters?

-chris

Mustaches For Kids 2008
    www.m4knc.com

My Cars
    98 M3, 93 325is, 2011 X5
    Did the information packet include a tech sheet? Have the car teched per the sheet by a competent mechanic - brakes & tires in good condition, fluids topped off, etc. I only taped my headlights because I have Euro Ellipsoid headlights on the M3 (i.e. glass lenses vs. plastic for the stock ones).

Then just follow Sunir's advice, and at the end of the weekend you'll be asking when the next school is

Jim

My Cars
    98 cosmos M3, 98 332
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts
    Just make sure you have enough tread on your tires, enough material on your brake pads, and fresh fluids. No other preparations needed.

Not unless you want to look like a wanker...seems like a huge waste of time to me. A few paint chips are no big deal. Assuming you are going to the Barber event, there aren't any rocks of sand to worry about anyway.

For your first event, you shouldn't need to worry about replacing brake lines or using a track pad. Just go out and have fun.
    yea I wasn't about to buy tons of new gear for my car. I just got my track inspection done today, and everything looked good. No tires or brake components needed.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

-chris

Mustaches For Kids 2008
    www.m4knc.com

My Cars
    E46 M3, E39 (RIP), HD XL1200S
    the only thing i would add is you may want to bring some kind of tupperware type bin to stuff all the junk from your car. it should be empty of items when you are on the track. in other words, no loose items in the car like that half drunk bottle of jack daniels you have rolling around under the passenger seat. have a great time!

My Cars
    98 cosmos M3, 98 332
    yea I am definitly bringing a duffel bag to hold all my shit- - I agree, there is nothing more annoying than something rolling around

-chris

Mustaches For Kids 2008
    www.m4knc.com

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    yea I am definitly bringing a duffel bag to hold all my shit- - I agree, there is nothing more annoying than something rolling around

-chris
    A big plastic bin has the virtue of being waterproof if you put the top on.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    98 M3, 93 325is, 2011 X5
    Yep, I use a Rubbermaid bin to hold most of the small track crap

http://www.justracing.com/galleries/...lbum=83&pos=27
    Click on the pict to get a bigger view - the purple bin the camera case happens to be sitting on. That's at this past weekend's race at Miller Motorsport Park, BTW.

Of course, when you're in a garage, rain isn't much of a concern

Jim

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan

I agree with Bryan, although I used to use tape on my headlights and foglights before I got the stongard film on them. At one DE a guy in an E46 M3 had taped up the front of his car, but put it into the wall and tore the front wheel off. That was kind of ironic.

And the Rubbermaid/Craftsman/Wal-Mart generic bin is a good idea too. Theft is not usually a problem at DEs, but if things are out of sight, it just makes it even less likely. I usually drag tons of unecessary stuff to the track, like tools, a jack, etc., so the bins are nice just to throw in and out of the car with all the crap in them. A tarp to throw everything on top of is nice too, if you don't have a paved surface, or even if you want to throw the tarp over some of your junk.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    Specialized S-Works SL4
    I usually just tape up the front fogs, bin to hold tools, extra oil, extra set of pads and slap the tow hook on just in case. I've also overfilled by half a quart for DEs and then drain it when I get home. Half a quart seems to stop the ticking/oil starvation in my car ('97 M3/2). Other than that, just what everyone else has been saying and by all means be open to suggestions from instructors...unlike iflysolo. LOL

Dat

My Cars
    E36, E46, Datsun 510
    Don't forget a torque wrench.

Also paper towel and glass cleaner is always a good idea.

Duct tape can also come in handy, you never know.

I also keep a little electrical air pump to adjust tire pressure. I always have at least 2 tire pressure gauges.

Have fun!

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by karim e36
    Don't forget a torque wrench.

Also paper towel and glass cleaner is always a good idea.

Duct tape can also come in handy, you never know.

I also keep a little electrical air pump to adjust tire pressure. I always have at least 2 tire pressure gauges.

Have fun!
    and ZIP TIES!!!!!!!!!
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    98 cosmos M3, 98 332
    Quote Originally Posted by nick325xit 5spd
    that is a great idea, considering the weather for the weekend, hopefully it doesn't rain too much

i bought a few extra quarts of oil today, and definitly am going to bring my torque wrench and air compressor out

i can't wait!

-chris

Mustaches For Kids 2008
    www.m4knc.com

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    Already had Rogue Engineering RSM's installed, as well as new ATE fluid.

I would have gotten the work done at German Speed Merchants in Wilmington, but I have been in Birmingham for the past week already (where the event is)

Should I mask the headlights even though they are the shitty stock plastic bullshiters?

-chris
    Nope but the sidemarkers tend to commit suicide if they're not taped up. Don't use wanker tape, racer's tape is much cooler.

Have fun, take a chair, bring plenty of water and use sunscreen if you are melanin challenged.

-Carlos.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    that is a great idea, considering the weather for the weekend, hopefully it doesn't rain too much
    WeatherUnderground says it's only a 20% chance of a thunderstorm...that's pretty normal for any summer day in the South. Besides, rain racing is fun.

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Trash bags, great for keeping stuff dry.

My Cars
    98 cosmos M3, 98 332
    WeatherUnderground says it's only a 20% chance of a thunderstorm...that's pretty normal for any summer day in the South. Besides, rain racing is fun.
    yea seems like every time I go to Barber it rains at least a bit- - I'll be out there Friday watching you club racers do it up. What time does the 1 1/2 hr. enduro start?

-chris

Mustaches For Kids 2008
    www.m4knc.com

My Cars
    87 325is
    At every track event I have been to at least one person was changing their worn out brake pads. Make sure you have plenty of pad left and if not bring an extra set and tools to change them. If not, you lose valuable track time...

My Cars
    4 old ones
    If it might rain I would not tape up your headlights. In the rain we sometimes run with headlights on and you don't want them taped up if they are on.

As far as tarps go, be careful how you cover your gear. Water always has a way of getting in when I use a tarp. I now use a children's popup tent to store my stuff sitting on a tarp. Paddocks can get windy too.

Don't think too much. I think new students over analyze things. I know I did. First day was quite overwhelming. Bring plenty of water.

Off to Mid-Ohio for me.

...steven BMWCCA 146825
    http://318ti.org | http://bmwcca.org/forum
    1995 318ti Club Sport - 1996 328ti Sport - 1991 325iC - 2003 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36, E46, Datsun 510
    Also, I always treat the glass with Rain-X if there is a risk of rain.

Works amazing. You don't even need to use your wipers.

My Cars
    325e,M3/4/5,540iA,X5 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by nick325xit 5spd
    I got two walmart specials - one for spares, glass cleaner, brake fluid, tools, etc, and the other for soft shit I don't want to get soaked. makes the operation easy and stress free if the weather does get wet.

and did anyone mention sunscreen?

pick up some extra duct tape, zip ties, and a good pair of vise grips. you never know when they'll come in really handy, if not for you, but your newfound pals in need
    Montego/Saddle E91 328i xDrive - Estoril/Cloth Blue M3/4/5 - LeMons 325e - Artic/Black 1998 540iA (shell, for sale or donation towards LeMons)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast