Thread: zf vs getrag and Diff ratio

My Cars
    Avus M3

Question zf vs getrag and Diff ratio

so doing a tranny swap soon, Im contemplating getting a 3,23 lsd diff.
    is it worth 450? I mean I understand the difference between lsd and the fact that 3.23 ratio is alittle bit more mean than the stock 3.15 open (see I searched ) but I dunno if its enough for the extra hundred bucks.

also Zf or getrag?

I just want a reliable tranny, I dont know if the getrag is really realible. I know the ZF is stronger but it will only be pulling the stock 325'. if I do beat on it it will be at the track this summer. ZF or not?

extra OT question: is it a bad idea to get a new clutch if Im going to be learning the ways of the manuals? I know how, just not smooth.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    I would get a ZF just to have the best thing (I actually have a ZF).

And wait to put the new clutch until you learn to master the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved
    I would get a ZF just to have the best thing (I actually have a ZF).

And wait to put the new clutch until you learn to master the stick.
    well I cant really.. wait... you know how it is, clutch goes behind the tranny

My Cars
    1995 cosmos m3
    put the new clutch in

i learned on my new clutch i have over 20k miles on w/ no problems

it is NOT worth jacking up the car again

My Cars
    95 M3, nasa spec3 #77
    changing the clutch is not that bad it just takes a weekend. it all depends on your mechanical ability. by the way are you planning on doing this yourself? in my opinion it would be better for the car if you learned with the old clutch and got a new one later.

My Cars
    Avus M3
    not doing this myself, Right now looking for a shop.

ps: any differential recomendations?

My Cars
    95 M3, nasa spec3 #77
    i honistly dont know much about differentials but i woud get a lsd for sure. if you are having a shop do all the work i would probobly save the money and get a clutch and light weight flywheel done at the same time to save the money.

My Cars
    1995 325
    Quote Originally Posted by maretolimac
    so doing a tranny swap soon, Im contemplating getting a 3,23 lsd diff.
    is it worth 450? I mean I understand the difference between lsd and the fact that 3.23 ratio is alittle bit more mean than the stock 3.15 open (see I searched ) but I dunno if its enough for the extra hundred bucks.

also Zf or getrag?

I just want a reliable tranny, I dont know if the getrag is really realible. I know the ZF is stronger but it will only be pulling the stock 325'. if I do beat on it it will be at the track this summer. ZF or not?

extra OT question: is it a bad idea to get a new clutch if Im going to be learning the ways of the manuals? I know how, just not smooth.
    Yes, the LSD is worth the extra 100 bucks. The getrag will be fine behind the 325. That's it's OEM transmission. It will handle 250 ft/lbs of torque safely. You don't have near that. What do you mean a new clutch? You are going to have to buy a clutch, pressure plate, etc. to do the swap. Why would you want to buy a used clutch? doesn't make sense.
    1995 325I, tinted windows, K&N, debaffled airbox, Nighthawk low beams, BMW style #104 wheels, smoked corners, smoked sidemarkers, smoked taillights, M3 style heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.

My Cars
    Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tomt30273
    Yes, the LSD is worth the extra 100 bucks. The getrag will be fine behind the 325. That's it's OEM transmission. It will handle 250 ft/lbs of torque safely. You don't have near that. What do you mean a new clutch? You are going to have to buy a clutch, pressure plate, etc. to do the swap. Why would you want to buy a used clutch? doesn't make sense.
    it comes with the $800, everything from a somewhat low miles 94' 325

and its not an extra 100 bucks, its almost 400, with that money I could buy an m3 bumper which is much needed.

I'm broke people, remmember that

My Cars
    95 M3, nasa spec3 #77
    how many miles dose it have on it my clutch has a little over 180,000 mi and it still bites realy good you would probobly be fine with the stock clutch for a wile. and if you are broke like me i'd say do the swap yourself and save a sh!t load of money.

My Cars
    Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by autocross97
    how many miles dose it have on it my clutch has a little over 180,000 mi and it still bites realy good you would probobly be fine with the stock clutch for a wile. and if you are broke like me i'd say do the swap yourself and save a sh!t load of money.
    shit, that sounds soooo tempting, but you've never seen my car. I feel sorry for the profesional who has to do this swap. (grease+rust+age=every single nut & bolt frozen)

but since you aroused my curiosity, how much would I need to lift my car? if one was intended to do it himself.

ps: clutch has anywhere from 80k-110k

My Cars
    2018 GMC 2500
    My clutch has over 200K on it. But honestly, if you're not great at driving stick, and the clutch has a fair amount of mileage already....get a new one. If you're stock, you don't even need a great clutch. Since you're broke, the stock one will work fine. No need to get a stage 2 clutch or better. I have a Getrag and it works great, albeit a bit notchy in the gears after so many miles. Make sure to do a fluid swap on tranny and diff before putting them in the car also.

My Cars
    95 M3, nasa spec3 #77
    shit, that sounds soooo tempting, but you've never seen my car. I feel sorry for the profesional who has to do this swap. (grease+rust+age=every single nut & bolt frozen)

but since you aroused my curiosity, how much would I need to lift my car? if one was intended to do it himself.

ps: clutch has anywhere from 80k-110k
    you just need a good strong set of jack stands nothing extra tall or special like that. if you can get a friend or a family member to help you out i would conciter doing it yourself.

oh and i almoste forgot pb blaster is your best friend!!

My Cars
    Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by autocross97
    you just need a good strong set of jack stands nothing extra tall or special like that. if you can get a friend or a family member to help you out i would conciter doing it yourself.

oh and i almoste forgot pb blaster is your best friend!!
    I've done alot things under my car, I have a 3 ton jack and 2 jack stands. oh and some ramps. tool wise.... I only have a set of Socket wrench and a couple of screw drivers ..maybe a hammer or two.

oh and gasoline, lots and lots of gasoline to set the auto tranny on fire afterwards.

dont I need something to lower the tranny, and diff? and what about stripping bolts? I'm really afraid of that. speacially the tranny and diff bolts..

My Cars
    95 M3, nasa spec3 #77
    I've done alot things under my car, I have a 3 ton jack and 2 jack stands. oh and some ramps. tool wise.... I only have a set of Socket wrench and a couple of screw drivers ..maybe a hammer or two.

oh and gasoline, lots and lots of gasoline to set the auto tranny on fire afterwards.

dont I need something to lower the tranny, and diff? and what about stripping bolts? I'm really afraid of that. speacially the tranny and diff bolts..
    the bolts wont be that big of a problem some can be tough to get at you will need several extentions and an elbow or two. you must have 6 point sockets not 12 point. and a torque wrentch to finnish it off thats all i can think of right now. check pelican and do a search on here i'm sure you can find some helpfull diy's you will probobly wnat a rubber mallet. locktite

make sure you take pictures of the autotrans on fire

My Cars
    00 e46 03 745i
    haha good stuff finally gonna get rid of the slushbox
    but you know you're gonna miss it
    E36--> >> >>> >>

My Cars
    Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggynites
    haha good stuff finally gonna get rid of the slushbox
    but you know you're gonna miss it
    riiiiiiighttt, maybe I'll make a cofee table out of it.

or is there a way to safetly implode it..