Thread: Brake lines replacement - OEM or SS

My Cars
    ///M's

Question Brake lines replacement - OEM or SS

I got a tiny strech in my rear brake line so I'm thinking of replacing them all. Now, I really like to be able to inspect OEM's, however, how many events are they good for? Since SS are good for 2-3 years, OEM ones would have to last just as long.
    What do you guys think? If I do something around 10 events a year?

My Cars
    '13 535 MSpt '15 M4
    I just went with the Turner SS lines that are coated with silicone for more protection. I highly recommend them.

You still interested in my Harness?

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra
    I went with BAV Auto's SS lines, they were on sale when I purchased them about 4 weeks ago. $112.00 for all (6) SS lines, plus they were the teflon coated lines as well. Could not beat the price, so I ordered them!

I figured the cost of the stock lines from the dealer even with the BMWCCA discount woudl cost as much, if not more than the SS lines I bought, so i went with the SS lines.

They look great installed too, plus NO leaks or problems.

Good luck, I'd go with the SS over stock, that's my opinion though.
    1991 BMW 318ic & 1995 ///M3 coupe - SOLD

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    I run Earls. Unlike other lines, the interior PTFE sleeve is bonded to the outer brading, which is supposed to be more resistant chaffing. At least that's what the techs at Earls tell me.

While you are in there, throw in some Earls Solo Bleeders. I intend to switch out my Speedbleeders to the Earls eventually.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Originally posted by frayed
    I run Earls. Unlike other lines, the interior PTFE sleeve is bonded to the outer brading, which is supposed to be more resistant chaffing. At least that's what the techs at Earls tell me.

While you are in there, throw in some Earls Solo Bleeders. I intend to switch out my Speedbleeders to the Earls eventually.
    Ok, who the heck is Earl and what are you doing with his brake lines?
    Blue 2002 540i/6
    Former Arctic Silver 1998 M3 Track Car
    Shopping for new track car!

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra
    Jeff,

Do you like the bleeders? Do they really work as advertised? I was thinking of adding them, but was not 100% sold on the advertised idea.
    1991 BMW 318ic & 1995 ///M3 coupe - SOLD

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Yeah, the speedbleeders work well, but they have issues with the threads sealing around the nipple into the caliper. These issues usually come up after they've been in service for a while and you've done a whole bunch of bleeding.

The Earls don't rely on thread sealant; so I believe they are better design and I've heard no reports of them not working well.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    ///M's
    I don't mind my girlfriend helping me while working on my car
    So you guys are saying that cost-wise it could be really close to stock lines? How about lifespan... It's pretty dry out here in CO and it seems to eat thru rubber and seals. I only had my car 5 or 6 times on the track and stock lines got torn after that. If I want to do a little more events, I should be switching to SS ones?