Thread: Which to use for Auto-X E30 vs. E36

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5, F30 328i

Which to use for Auto-X E30 vs. E36

I have to decide which car I'm going to use for daily driving. I have a '89 325i and a '94 325is. The E30 is already on a diet and has a LSD. The only interior parts will be the front door panels, front seats, dash and center console. The E36 has H&R race springs, bilstein sports, 17.8.5 Kosei K1s, chip, exhaust, and intake. If I do auto-x the E30 what would be the best suspension set up? I'm planning on using IE stage 3 springs and bilstein sports with 15x7 BBS wheels.

LA chapter BMW CCA autocross CDI
    www.bmwclubla.org

My Cars
    M Coupe
    An LSD is big for AutoX. Are they the same size in the e30 and e36? Just thinking that since you already have a suspension in the e36, put the LSD in that one.

Which one is rougher cosmetically? I'd turn that one into the autoX toy.
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by osborni
    An LSD is big for AutoX. Are they the same size in the e30 and e36? Just thinking that since you already have a suspension in the e36, put the LSD in that one.

Which one is rougher cosmetically? I'd turn that one into the autoX toy.
    The E36 iS should have an LSD as well no? Just like a 95 M3, a 3.15.

The "bad" thing about the E30 since it's stripped out is that you get to play in classes that are Prepared and Modified if talking about SCCA, like EP or FMod or something like that. You'll get trounced, or on the bright side you'll win all the time because nobody runs in those classes at regional levels . Now if you were talking track rat I'd definitely choose the E30, finish stripping it out install a roll bar or roll cage and learn a ton. I'm one of those people that think that you should learn to go fast in an E30 then move up to an E36.

-Carlos. (still quite slow on track even though I had an E30 for a while)

My Cars
    '05 Jet M3
    e30's are generally better for tighter auto-x's and often handle very well in the rain. However e36's typically have more power so they handle courses with higher speeds better. But the e30 is so fun to toss around and easily controllable, I would personally use your e30 for auto-x and keep the '94 for the street.
    ///Max

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5, F30 328i
    I plan on auto-xing with the BMWCCA only so both cars would be considered in D-class (6,8,12 cylinder modified) I'm leaning toward the E30 because the car is a little for tossable than the E36.

LA chapter BMW CCA autocross CDI
    www.bmwclubla.org