Thread: Fricking car repair costs!

My Cars
    Chevy Malibu, Honda Accord

Angry Fricking car repair costs!

I dropped my 59K mile, 1998 Chevy Malibu off at the dealer last night, to fix a noise a was getting during braking. There was also a vibration at about 15 mph. I thought new brakes for sure, maybe some loose/worn suspension bits. I got a call back from them a half hour ago, and it sucks. New front pads and rotors, clean and adjust rear brakes, 2 new tires, 4 wheel alignment, new serpentine belt, and new driverside-outside mirror. Total parts and labot $1100! I'm so pissed right now, and I don't really like the car that much either which makes it even harder to want to pay. They also wanted to do a 60K mile service, but that's another $500, and it was just fluids and filters which I change anyways. It just sucks real bad, I'm so : . Anyways, rant over, comments appreciated .

Ryan

You should be grateful that you have a car.

I am 23 and I still WALK to school and to work.

=(

I am going to cry now.

My Cars
    99 Mroadster
    Dude you just got RAPED. 4 wheel alignment OMG hook line and sinker. Do yourself a favor when you get there ask to see parts. How would adjusting REAR brakes effect a NOISE in the front. Well it doesnt. DUDE clean and adjsut rear brakes. Dont tell me you are paying for that. Call the Chevy hotline and complain. I have to wipe the tears away I am laughing so hard. I am so sorry.

Ok the WORST thing that was the problem was rotors and pads. I cant see that costing more than 300. How did you manage to need 2 new tires??? They should have at least called you.
    I had a BMW dealer try that on my with my S/C z3, I told them NO way in hell was I paying them for taking 10 hours to replace a hose when it only took me 7 hours to put the whole blower in. They dropped it to 4 hours and I was happy.

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    2 tires from tire rack - $150 shipped
    4 wheel alignment - $75 local shop
    Front pads and rotors - $225 local brake/muffler shop
    GoodYear Serp Belt - $35 local auto parts store

Drivers Side mirror - $100-$300 internet parts dealer.

I don't know man.....I feel for you...but shopping around helps here and there.

I learned my lesson after spending $1k on my M3 within a month for a stupid waterpump and leaky hose replacement.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars

$$$ breakdown

Here's what I'm paying for parts:

Front rotors - $95 each
    Front pads - ???
    Rear brake adj. - $95
    2 tires - $165
    alignment, mount, balance - ???
    Serp. belt - $80
    Mirror - $88

Total above - $618

$1100 quote
    - $618 above
    =$482 for the pads, other tire stuff and labor. I'm paying near what Luxo wrote above. I don't feel like I'm getting raped, it's just a lot of maintenance that I'm paying at once.

Ryan

My Cars
    99 Mroadster
    why do you need rear brakes "cleaned" 4 wheel alignment is a joke. The rears dont move therefore DONT need alignment unless you whacked something GOOD and hard.

My Cars
    '92 BMW 325is, '02 Saturn SC2

Thumbs down Re: Fricking car repair costs!

Originally posted by RyanR6
    I dropped my 59K mile, 1998 Chevy Malibu off at the dealer last night, to fix a noise a was getting during braking. There was also a vibration at about 15 mph. I thought new brakes for sure, maybe some loose/worn suspension bits. I got a call back from them a half hour ago, and it sucks. New front pads and rotors, clean and adjust rear brakes, 2 new tires, 4 wheel alignment, new serpentine belt, and new driverside-outside mirror. Total parts and labot $1100! I'm so pissed right now, and I don't really like the car that much either which makes it even harder to want to pay. They also wanted to do a 60K mile service, but that's another $500, and it was just fluids and filters which I change anyways. It just sucks real bad, I'm so : . Anyways, rant over, comments appreciated .

Ryan
    I hope this was a quote they were offering you and not the final tab. If they did the work without your consent tell them to bugger off. Also, make them give you an explanation for the need for each of the repairs they did/proposed.
    ==============================
    '92 BMW 325is - Alpine White
    "A bad peace is even worse than war."
    -- Tacitus

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

My Cars

Yeah

It was just a quote. I told them to go ahead and do it. I'll be sure to get an explanation of what they did on everything.

Ryan

My Cars
    '92 BMW 325is, '02 Saturn SC2
    You should learn how to do some of the work yourself - it'll save you mucho $$$$$. Escpecially brakes - very easy to do.
    '92 BMW 325is - Alpine White
    "A bad peace is even worse than war."
    -- Tacitus

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell