Thread: Koni rear shocks, how to rebound adjust?

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe

Question Koni rear shocks, how to rebound adjust?

K, just got my TC Kline Sport Suspension kit and I'm about to install it right now. But before I do, I have some questions that I didn't find any thread to mention anything about this at all...

1.) So, it's unclear to me of how to adjust the rear shocks. Pete from TCK told me they are rebound adjustable, and, following the diagrams that came with the kit, I compressed the shocks against the floor and when I feel it's in the point when it kinda "engages", I go on to turn the body/tube... well, I thought it turns 360 degrees clockwise/couterclockwise??? How come I can infinitely turn this thing???

2.) Turning it clockwise is to stiffen it and clockwise to soften, correct???

3.) How do I verify/confirm that the shocks are already in 100% stiffness???

Thanks thanks thanks a lot in advance for the help,

My Cars
    1970 2002; 1998 E36
    you have to be very careful to keep the shock compressed perfectly...it should only turn about 3 turns.

stand on an allen wrench and push down on the shock and hold it down...lightly twist it back and forth till you know it is engaged. go full soft and then anbout 1.5 turns from there. that should be in the ballpark.
    Eric Paul Eviston - 1 Piece Silicone Hose M50 Manifold Conversion Kit

******M50 Manifold Install Trouble Shooting Guide Here: www.m50manifold.com

'98 M3/4 - ECIS CAI, S50 Manifold, Conforti Software, 16" Spal Puller, UUC Pulleys, Fan Delete, UUC Stage 2 Fly w/M5 Clutch, UUC Blacks w/TMEs, X-Brace, GC RTAB shims, GC RSMs,
    M Roadster lever, 245x40x17 all 4 corners, Drilled Zimmermans, Motul RBF600 and Redline Synth fluids.
    My Dyno HERE
    My Website:
    www.m50manifold.com
    My Email:
    info@m50manifold.com

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by E36M3E
    stand on an allen wrench and push down on the shock and hold it down...lightly twist it back and forth till you know it is engaged. go full soft and then anbout 1.5 turns from there. that should be in the ballpark.
    I tried doing this... still I could turn it infinitely many times... and... by "1.5 turn", do you mean 540 degrees???

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe
    also, how do I really know when it is actually engaged???

My Cars
    1970 2002; 1998 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink21Me
    I tried doing this... still I could turn it infinitely many times... and... by "1.5 turn", do you mean 540 degrees???
    yes 540 deg. and if you can turn it infinitly you are not engaged...trust me this is a little tricky.

if you get it engaged it will only turn about 3 turns.

'98 M3/4 - ECIS CAI, S50 Manifold, Conforti Software, 16" Spal Puller, UUC Pulleys, Fan Delete, UUC Stage 2 Fly w/M5 Clutch, UUC Blacks w/TMEs, X-Brace, GC RTAB shims, GC RSMs,
    M Roadster lever, 245x40x17 all 4 corners, Drilled Zimmermans, Motul RBF600 and Redline Synth fluids.
    My Dyno HERE
    My Website:
    www.m50manifold.com
    My Email:
    info@m50manifold.com

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Doesn't GC sell modified rear koni shocks that have top mount adjusters? Are these worth it?

My Cars
    1970 2002; 1998 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by M52 POWER!
    Doesn't GC sell modified rear koni shocks that have top mount adjusters? Are these worth it?
    every penny.

My Dyno HERE
    My Website:
    www.m50manifold.com
    My Email:
    info@m50manifold.com

My Cars
    95 M3
    Did you take the bumpstop off? You need to be able to compress the shock all of the way. Once you're there it should feel a little bit harder to turn and the stops will be obvious.

My Cars
    88M3,95M3,04M3-LSB E39M5
    K, just got my TC Kline Sport Suspension kit and I'm about to install it right now. But before I do, I have some questions that I didn't find any thread to mention anything about this at all...

1.) So, it's unclear to me of how to adjust the rear shocks. Pete from TCK told me they are rebound adjustable, and, following the diagrams that came with the kit, I compressed the shocks against the floor and when I feel it's in the point when it kinda "engages", I go on to turn the body/tube... well, I thought it turns 360 degrees clockwise/couterclockwise??? How come I can infinitely turn this thing???

2.) Turning it clockwise is to stiffen it and clockwise to soften, correct???

3.) How do I verify/confirm that the shocks are already in 100% stiffness???

Thanks thanks thanks a lot in advance for the help,
    Man i am with you. I gave up on the rear shcoks, i have no idea how they are set, my car drives fine ( iguess) i just have the front set up, i need to really takew them off and set them but it is too hard, by the way am i messing anything up by have the rear shock not set up correctly, Tc kline told me that they set them up i hope so......

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe
    does pushing it all the way does guarantees that they are already engaged???

My Cars
    88M3,95M3,04M3-LSB E39M5
    i honestly have no clue, i tried to set mine and gave up it was really hard.....sorry iam not much help.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Yes, unless you're shocks are broken. Just push them all the way and start turning slowing. Stop when you feel the resistance go up a lot. Now you're at one extream of the adjustment range. You'll know the shock is at full stiffness when it doen't rebound by itself.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe
    K, I was just on the phone with Pete... He's really a very helpful guy, even grabbed a shock to instruct me how to adjust it the way he adjusts it while on the phone with me... now both shocks are at full stiff and ready to install... I think I'm good to go, at least hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by KDAWG97M3
    i honestly have no clue, i tried to set mine and gave up it was really hard.....sorry iam not much help.
    Mahn it's just kinda tricky, I admit I was really having a hard time knowing what the hell am I doing nad not knowing how to do it right, it's kinda shitty at that stage, but then I found out it's just as easy as;

- put the shocks upside down against the floor
    - slowly compress it ALL THE WAY 'til you hit the bottom and there's no more room
    - reach down to the other end on the floor where you grab on the thread/shaft
    - start turning it whichever way you need to until the thread/shaft starts to turn as you're turning the body... That's the point when it's at it's full stiff/soft

give it a try!

My Cars
    99 M coupe
    I have had konis on both of my M's. The rears are simple to adjust once you know what you are doing.

1) use either a vice or some pliers with cloth wrapped around the shaft of the upper part of the strut/shock

2) compress the shock slowly and completely. When you have it compressed all the way you will feel a click. this means the shock is ready to be adjusted, but be warned keep it completely compress while turning the base of the strut. If you dont feel the click when you compress the strut back of a tiny bit and rotate it a degree or two then try to feel it "lock" in. Its tricky at first but once you get it you will know what I mean.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Ed

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe
    LOL got it mahn...

My Cars
    wrecked 325i, 318i no drivetrain, salvaged 325i
    sorry for reviving an old thread....but I just bought a set of koni's and when i have the rears set at the same setting (turnwise) they rebound way different. To get them to rebound the same i have to set one shock to full hard and the other to nearly full soft. (what i do to test rebound is fully compress both and let go and let them rebound together).

So how should I set them...should i set them at the same setting turn wise?

or should i set them at the same setting when watching them rebound?

thx any help is appreciated