Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eaton M62 supercharger installed on my E36 325i :-D

My Cars
    328i E36 Cabrio + 528i E39 + Mercedes 206D

Eaton M62 supercharger installed on my E36 325i :-D

I have installed some months ago a Eaton M62 supercharger on my E36 325i convertible.
    The torque increase is amazing!

Here the pics:

Standard looks

The supercharger under the hood.

Not much space left

Everything made of heavy stainless steel.

Fits perfect

Seperate belt & tensioner for the supercharger.

View under the car.

The control gauges.

This setup works great! And it only takes 2-3 hours to remove the complete supercharger setup and make it original again.
    I'm using the original fuel injectors, without problems. I only changed the software of the DME.
    The boost is +/- 6-7 psi at the mid range and already +/- 4 psi at 1500 rpm.

The car is not lazy anymore under 4000 rpm, but starts pulling from +/- 1500 rpm up to 7000 rpm

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Sexxy, Where is your TB btw and what is that extra switches you have beside your heated seat switches?
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    2E36,E34,E38,Dak,780,V
    Looks good!! I like it . . . . More info on how you have the supercharger connected to the manifold. . .
    -=PJ
    Strike Zero's Garage
    ==================================================
    2006 SCR-SCCA Street Mod Champion
    1982 Toyota Corolla
    1988 Volvo 780
    1993 BMW 318is: Gas Sipper
    1993 BMW 325is => 350is: Track Rat
    1994 BMW 530i + 5spd
    1997 BMW 740i: Hwy Killah!!
    1998 Honda VFR800FI: Gear Driven Cam Goodness
    2000 Dodge Dakota: V8 + 5spd = Smokey Fun
    2000 Lincoln LS V6 5spd
    2004 Pontiac GTO - RIP
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V
    ==================================================
    "If not under warranty, live with it, or bend over and grab ankles."

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by geiz
    I'm using the original fuel injectors, without problems. I only changed the software of the DME.
    Details on software changes, Who and How?
    Also, pulley sizes?
    Thanks, C

Great job, BTW

My Cars
    '93 332i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie
    Sexxy, Where is your TB btw and what is that extra switches you have beside your heated seat switches?
    yeah where is the tb!!!!!
    **Some people are like slinkies, they are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs**

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    Based on that supercharger, it is probably fairly close to the firewall or directly under the charger. The air intake is from the back. Did you get it off a 3.8 Impala SS?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie
    Ehhh I'm sory, but what is TB? A power graph from a eg dynojet bank??

And the extra switch is for the convertible roof :-D

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by xatlas0
    Based on that supercharger, it is probably fairly close to the firewall or directly under the charger. The air intake is from the back. Did you get it off a 3.8 Impala SS?
    Yes, it was difficult to get the air in at the back ;-)
    The throttle is under the SC mounted with a square home-made 180 degrees tube at the rear side of the SC. Not the most ideal setup, but the result is not bad ...
    It is I think from a 3800GM engine ... buy'd it by ebay!!

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by geiz
    And the extra switch is for the convertible roof :-D
    I think they're asking about the extra switch under the boost gauge. Is your SC on a clutch like the Mercedes Kompressors?

I already know about the cabrio switch

It's a m62 from a 3800 GM. Are you using stock pulleys from the GM? Do you know the pulley sizes?

Also, still very interested in how you tuned this set-up.
    Would you be willing to have your chip or bin file copied for me? It can be emailed and I could burn a chip over here. OR I could buy a copied chip from you.

This could be a great low-cost set-up.

PM me!

Thanks

My Cars
    BMWs
    He said stock injectors so I'd imagine a RRFPR

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i 6-speed
    aww...upon reading the thread title I was anticipating a supercharger made for an M62 engine...dissapointed...

Cool setup though.

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by UrineMachine
    He must be pushing near 10 psi if he is 6-7 at mid-range. I would worry about detonation, esp without a cooler.

Hopefully he will give a few more details and maybe a dyno w/ afr.

You can buy a rebuilt m62 with warranty for $500.

As always, tuning keeps us from cheap FI mods. Gee, too bad someone's not working on a Megasquirt solution to control fuel and COP. Then we would see alot of growth in FI.

So $500 for MS, $500 for m62, $100 for injectors, a few odds and ends ... Maybe a safe 8psi for under $1000.

My Cars
    ///M
    Hmmmm my buddy's got one of those m62's lying around off his built gtp... perhaps I can do a lil temporary FI until my turbo setup is all together. :-)

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by 325icintn
    I think they're asking about the extra switch under the boost gauge. Is your SC on a clutch like the Mercedes Kompressors?

I already know about the cabrio switch

It's a m62 from a 3800 GM. Are you using stock pulleys from the GM? Do you know the pulley sizes?

Also, still very interested in how you tuned this set-up.
    Would you be willing to have your chip or bin file copied for me? It can be emailed and I could burn a chip over here. OR I could buy a copied chip from you.

This could be a great low-cost set-up.

PM me!

Thanks
    Oh that, it's not a switch, it's a socket for the alarm dongle/key. There is no magnetic clutch. But you don't need it. Under normal coditions (when you're not accelerating) the bypass valve is open and the SC only needs 0.3kW maximum. My fuel usage is app. the same as before I had installed the SC. Only the 1st week it was much higher :-D But everyone have to test it :-D

Yes, I'm using the stock pulley. I don't know the exact sizes at this moment, but the pulley ratio is nearly 1:2 ... The rev. limiter is @ 7000rpm, the compressor makes a +/- 14000 rpm. The pulley at the crankshaft is a standard airco pulley (I don't have an airco)

The RVS square box (45x220x310mm / 1.77x8.66x12.20 inch) between the SC and the inlet mainfold is only 45mm (1.77") width ... this is not ideal, bigger would be better for the air flow, but there is not more space under the hood ;-) Inside the box we have made a special tunnel for a better airflow.

I don't have a BIN file of the chip, a friend of me have made it.
    But I can ask it for you if he can make some more chips.

This setup kosts me 350 euro (~ $450,-) and a lot of time and patience :-)
    Only the bearings of my SC are not so good, but the new ones are on they're way to me :-D

Don't think that you will have a circuit racer after this upgrade, but 0-100km/h (0-62mph) within 7 seconds is no problem with my heavy 1500kg (3300lbs) convertible :-) (Standard 8.6 sec.) and the best improvement is the high torque at low rpm ... now I can put the car in the 5th gear at 80km/h and when I want to pass-by a slow car I don't have to put him into the 2nd gear to have enough power, the car is now powerfull enough in the 5th gear :-D

My Cars
    He must be pushing near 10 psi if he is 6-7 at mid-range. I would worry about detonation, esp without a cooler.

Hopefully he will give a few more details and maybe a dyno w/ afr.

You can buy a rebuilt m62 with warranty for $500.

As always, tuning keeps us from cheap FI mods. Gee, too bad someone's not working on a Megasquirt solution to control fuel and COP. Then we would see alot of growth in FI.

So $500 for MS, $500 for m62, $100 for injectors, a few odds and ends ... Maybe a safe 8psi for under $1000.
    The 180 degree inlet tube is a little bit too small, the reason is a space problem. Maybe I will change it in the future ... but I'm already very satisfied with the result. So thats the reason the pressure will not be higher at high rpm.

To prevent detonation problems I only use RON 98 fuel.

Also I did some measurements with a CO2 and lambda tester, and the results are good. The gaugue in the car, connected to the standard lambda sensor gives also normal values. Just rich at full acceleration ;-)

I don't think it is neccessary to use a intercooler ... on factory-fitted SC's is also in most cases no intercooler installed. Another point is that it is practically not possible to install an intercooler, not enough space ;-) And I'm not a circuit driver ;-)

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by UrineMachine
    WOW RRFPR? ... thanks google ... you mean a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator?? :-D

No .... I don't ... I have one on stock, but still not installed. But it looks like the ECU still can handle it. But I know, a longer injector open time is not good for an optimal fuel combustion, so I will install it in the next days.

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    It's an Eaton, not a centrifugal. If he's seeing 6-7 in the mid-range, he's seeing no more than that at the high end. The downside is, it's an Eaton, so he's seeing higher charge temps than he would with a centrifugal, and has higher boost in the midrange than a centri.

Remember, it's not peak RPM that is the main detonation trouble area with an M50, it's torque peak...and even high RPM detonation can often be traced back to the heat generated earlier in the RPM range at torque peak.

But mad props to Geiz on the install, the above mentioned concerns can all be addressed with some tuning and hardware tweaking. Water injection would be a major, inexpensive aid to that setup, and a nozzle could easily be added into the TB plate.

And if the twin-screw guys (Eurosport and AA/Stimpee) wanted to, they could pretty easily adapt their custom cast intake manifold with integral air/water charge cooling core, to fit an Eaton blower. They might even be able to make money just selling that part to people who want to DIY an Eaton.

Even if they sold the kit with NEW Eaton units, injectors and tuning, it'd still be less expensive than using a Whipple or Lysholm twin-screw blower. And I don't think it'd hurt their TS sales at all.

For one thing, TS sales just don't seem to be that high volume, and the potential TS customer that balks at a $7-$8k kit might not balk at a $3k Eaton semi-DIY or $5k full kit, whereas the customer that doesn't see $7-$8k as a problem won't be willing to "settle" for the hotter running less efficient Eaton.

It could also help lower the costs of a TS in the long run, since (correct me if I'm wrong) the higest fixed cost on a TS is the manifold casting and the head unit. Being able to order a lot more manifolds from whatever foundry they're using could lower the per-unit price quite a bit over time.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    Z4 M coupe
    Ive been wanting to do this with an m112 blower ever since the 03 cobras came out! GREAT JOB
    1/4 mile in 13.1 @ 106++ (calculators put this at 0-60 in "4.21" seconds.)

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Any updates here? I am interested in this setup. What is this "RVS box" that you talk about? Is it basically an adapter going from the supercharger to the intake manifold? If so, how did you make it?
    Current mods: Euro clears, Strömung exhaust, Cosmos Racing Intake, sound system, X-brace, DEPO Projector36 Headlights w/ DDE, Prolumen HID 6000K, M3 front bumper, M3 rear diffuser, paint matched sideskirts and rear bumper, TMS chip, UUC tranny mounts w/ enforcers, Bilstein PSS Suspension.

My Cars

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Blufire View Post
    Any updates here? I am interested in this setup. What is this "RVS box" that you talk about? Is it basically an adapter going from the supercharger to the intake manifold? If so, how did you make it?

I'm installing this summer also an fuel pressure regulator and boost up to 55psi ... a big difference .... the "dips" in the power curve are complete gone!
    And further, the setup is still running without any problems.
    The only point is, the compressor is a little bit noisy at low rpm, si I think the bearings are worn. I have new ones, but now I'm searching time to exchange them :-D

And the RVS box, it is stainless steel I'm sorry, that was dutch
    I mean the metal box between the compressor and the mainfold
    Yes, it is a kind of an adapter, the air is blown through it.
    If you want drawings and more pictures of it, I can give them to you.

My Cars
    94 325 always in pieces
    thats a cool little project!

My Cars
    325 coupe
    Offtopic: Hey fellow dutch member, good taste for engines. I'm driving a 325i aswell and I had a KLZE fitted into my mazda mx3. Didn't Bastian put it in your car? I heard him talking about putting a klze in a probe about 2 years ago.

My Cars
    FBO 135 + Meth
    WOW! Great job there man!!!
    I am very intrested. Has anyone has tried anything like this DIY for the E36 M3? I was looking into the AA kit but can not see spending almost $8,000 on a kit... I am sure it is a great kit and would work like none other but the fact is that I only gave $12,000 for the car.
    Do you have a complete list of the parts you used? How many miles have you put on the car after install?
    Thanks for the help,
    JB4/MHD | Alpina | Level10 VB | RB EVOs | RPI Quad Exhaust | AR DP's
    100% E85 | Port Injection | Fuel-It Stg 3 | DIY FMIC | ER CP W/Synapse BOV
    Best ET: 10.9 | Best MPH 133.4
    RB EVO Install By Turn In Concepts - http://turninconcepts.com/
    Fueling - http://www.fuel-it.biz - http://www.fuel-it.biz/

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8 Dinan
    geiz, was trying to reach you...please pm me.

My Cars
    e36
    what HP/TQ gains are seen on these?

"Auto Detailing by Jake," servicing Southern California, Click Here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1005861

Detailing Dough --> College dues. Which leaves $____ for e36. D'oh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast