Thread: Stuck in 2nd Gear!

My Cars
    '06 350z, '99 328ic, 01' S2000, 00' Jetta VR

Stuck in 2nd Gear!

Ok, so im pullin out into the street and i bring it up to 5k where i usually shift in 1st, and then shift to second, then i hear this loud pop. Im like oh great! So then im gonna pull over and see what was the deal but then i realize that i cant get my car out of 2nd gear. No matter how hard i try. I can still drive the car, it just wont shift out of 2nd. I tried to wiggle a push the shifter as much as i can, but it wont budge no matter how much force i give it. Any common problems like this, and maybe a solution?

Basically: My car is stuck in 2nd gear, and i need help.

My Cars
    '96 328is,'90 Miata
    shift fork bent? Linkage failed? Or *gulp* worse... Looks like a ride on the rollback to the shop. None of this sounds fixable from above.
    '96 328iS - Calypsorot Metallic
    FOR SALE http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1535155

Also -
    '90 Miata, '98 Subaru OBS, '07 Passat Variant

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2004 Audi AllRoad 4.2
    To add a few parts to the list: slave cylinder, pivot ball/fork.

If it is the slave cylinder, you can likely repair without dropping transmission, as long as fork hasn't become disengaged from the throwout bearing & pivot ball.

Keep your fingers crossed.

My Cars
    '06 350z, '99 328ic, 01' S2000, 00' Jetta VR
    Well it ended up being my actual 2nd gear. It broke or something according to my mech. Good thing my dad knew someone with a extra low mileage tranny. It ended up costing me about $1000 to replace including labor and new clutch. Id say thats pretty decent. Oh and the new clutch is amazing, but im gonna baby it for a few miles, cuz i dont want anything more to break.

My Cars
    94 325is slapstick
    dude this just happened to me today and im hoping its not as serious as yours! Fingers crossed

My Cars
    '94 E36, 89 Ford PGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapjackson View Post
    Oh and the new clutch is amazing, but im gonna baby it for a few miles, cuz i dont want anything more to break.
    this brings up a good question that i have.....what is the breaking period for a cluth on an e36. (my only experienc is a mustang)
    I couldn't afford a cobra
    so i bought a bmw....

My Cars
    2005 X5 4.4is
    Wow.. These Getrags are all dieing at the same time.. Mine died two weeks ago, And I know of another 3 people that it died as well..

Same problem. 2nd gear just goes bye bye.

Edit: wait you have a ZF.. wow that sucks.. Sorry to hear about that.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    What is the typical mileage on these cars that have 2nd gear explosions?

Man... I read about people approaching 300k, and then I read about people with exploding transmissions. It scares me, especially since the transmission on my previous Maxima died out of the blue while at a red light that just turned green. Accelerate a bit then BOOM, tranny fluid everywhere and completely motionless. Of course, that was an automatic tranny, the same one from a Nissan Stanza, which happens to be a weak little 4 cylinder. So pretty much, a tranny designed for a 4 cylinder on a 6 cylinder car. Way to go Nissan.

Seriously though, I wish transmissions lasted the life of the engine.