Thread: Would the AC compressor on a 96 and 95 M3 differ?

My Cars
    1995 BMW ///M3

Would the AC compressor on a 96 and 95 M3 differ?

I am buying a used AC compressor from a 1996 BMW M3 and it is going to be for my 95 M3. I am wondering if these compressors are the same and if the one from the 96 will work on mine fine? Does anyone know?

Thanks
    Chris

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    The part numbers are different, so they're not the same. No other model uses the same AC compressor as the E36 M3.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    1995 BMW ///M3
    So are you saying that the AC compressor from the 96 M3 wont work on my 95 and that the ONLY AC compressor that will work is one from a 95?

Thanks alot
    Chris

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    There may be some way to make a '96 compressor fit, but I don't think it'll be completely plug and play or else BMW would have just superceded the part number to the later model. It might be as simple as modifing the electrical connector for the clutch, not sure.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    13 Rubicon
    Bringing this back.

Does anyone know for certain if any e36 m3 compressor can work on a 95 m3?
    2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs (Sold)
    1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc.. (Sold)
    2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)

My Cars
    13 Rubicon
    bump.
    2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs (Sold)
    1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc.. (Sold)
    2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)

My Cars
    91 318is S52 Swap, 99 M3
    I don't know for sure what the differences are but I am running a compressor out of a 328i in my S52 E30 and before I replaced it with a 328i compressor I used one out of a 325I. I did another swap for a guy and used a 96+ M3 compressor in his E30. The differences are probably in the size of the pulley. You might just need a different belt but it will for sure bolt up to the block.
    RM European Auto Parts
    Toll Free: 866-597-2673

www.rmeuropean.com

Follow us on Twitter for weekly discount offers:

My Cars
    1990 Porsche 944S2,1995 M3, 1990 Acura Integra GS
    I need help, I have a 95 m3 and I need an A/C compressor. I need to know the part number and possibly where to purchase online. Does anyone know if the 96 and up compressors will plung and play? Thank you for any help.

My Cars
    1990 Porsche 944S2,1995 M3, 1990 Acura Integra GS
    *plug

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I have a 99 M3 and I bought a compressor online to bring in to the dealer to have installed and they told me it was for the earlier models (not sure exactly) but now I have no use for it. If you find out that yours doesn't fit and you get a part number I can check mine, maybe we can do a swap? Let me know.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Just a bit off topic, but do shops really allow you to bring parts and have them install them? If it were me, I'd say no. Shops don't make money just on labor, and if you don't support them buying parts, soon there won't be any shops.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Just a bit off topic, but do shops really allow you to bring parts and have them install them? If it were me, I'd say no. Shops don't make money just on labor, and if you don't support them buying parts, soon there won't be any shops.
    Most shops charge higher labor rates for brought parts. It's their problem if they can't make money that way.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    shops allow that. They still make good money on labor. I've done that with my mechanic alot. I'll buy certain parts I want, and have their shop install them (since I don't have the means to) and they do it. I still go there for other services, and have bought other things through them, so that may be why they don't mind.

I always thought generally shops made more profit on labor than they did on parts.
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Oh, look, here's an entire a/c system from a 95 for sale

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=799945

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    Oh, look, here's an entire a/c system from a 95 for sale

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=799945

wow, good find.
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    1997 m3/4/5
    Bro you have been schooling these kids for decades haha! I’m sure this is a dead post like my ac but I couldn’t agree with you more Rich ! Taking your penny cutter parts to a shop is so disrespectful. They gota make money somehow And most time you will end up paying more by the time you walk out the door because you tried to save money ahead of time so they will get you harder on the labor lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 M3
    Isn’t charging ($150+/HR) for labor and charging markup on wholesale parts cost kinda’ “double dipping” on a repair charge?

I can see not wanting to ‘warranty’ labor on a sub-standard part….but customer supplied OEM parts should be good-to-go.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I can see not wanting to ‘warranty’ labor on a sub-standard part….but customer supplied OEM parts should be good-to-go.
    And if that OEM part is bad, then no one is happy. All shops mark up on parts. Some way more than they should but it's standard. Very few shops will let you bring your own in unless maybe you are a regular, etc. If it's an easy 1-2 hour labor rate job, not a big deal. 6-7+, then it can turn into be a big deal. Most suppliers warranty partial or most of the labor too if the part you get from them is bad so you have that to consider too.
    Ray

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post

how did you end up digging up this thread from 2007? When it comes to classic cars, it is reasonable to take some parts in from the customer because some of the parts are no longer available to buy new.