Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: My Speakers THUMP

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8L Roadster

My Speakers THUMP

Hi.

I recently purchased a BMW Z3 2.8L roadster - which I love. However, when I turn up the stereo (which was upgraded) I get an annoying thumping sound from the two speakers located by the drivers and passengers feet.

Has anyone experienced this? And any thoughts on how to remedy the problem would be appreciated, because summer cruising is on its way.

My Cars
    E91 xiT CA Navi BT
    Quote Originally Posted by kdickson
    However, when I turn up the stereo (which was upgraded) I get an annoying thumping sound from the two speakers located by the drivers and passengers feet.

Has anyone experienced this?
    No, I've never been in your car.

But I question the actual upgrade performed. What did they do?
    VP Electricity

2007 E91 328xi T Premium Nav BT CA - PnP custom audio system by musicar northwest

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8L Roadster
    The upgrade was "a New CD Player was put in". When I turn it up quite loud the speakers thump.

My Cars
    328i
    Your speakers can't handle the power of the new headunit I'm guessing.

My Cars
    1993' 740il-Silver, 1996' 740il-Black
    Naming the brand and model of the "new cd-player" would help.
    Also try to describe this "thumping" you hear.

My Cars
    E91 xiT CA Navi BT
    Is it a BMW headunit? Or aftermarket?

I suspect aftermarket...
    VP Electricity

2007 E91 328xi T Premium Nav BT CA - PnP custom audio system by musicar northwest

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8L Roadster
    The Unit is a Clarion DXZ845MC and the Thumping Sound appears with lots of bass and I thought the speakers were blown??

My Cars
    E91 xiT CA Navi BT
    OK, thanks, one more question - where is the bass setting on the Clarion CD when the thumping starts happening? Is it up high or at center?
    VP Electricity

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8L Roadster
    It is in the middle of the range. The other speakers are fine and do not have this problem

My Cars
    E91 xiT CA Navi BT
    I suspect that what is happening is that the speaker outputs of the Clarion are going into the inputs of the BMW amp, and at higher volumes the inputs are being "clipped", and the front speakers are trying to play a DC flat-line signal.

I suspect that the installer needed to use some sort of SVEN or something like that.

Anyone else think that's it?
    VP Electricity

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    I'm with el.duderino, the stock amp was made to handle the output of the stock headunit.

I killed my stock amp with an aftermarket (VW Clarion) headunit.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8L Roadster
    Thank You. Do you have any suggestions on what I need to do/purchase to rectify the problem.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Thank You. Do you have any suggestions on what I need to do/purchase to rectify the problem.
    New amps and speakers. I guess that's not what you wanted to hear but I'm in the same boat, I just ordered my new speakers and I'm still looking for an amp.

the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8L Roadster
    Why new speakers?

Is there some sort of CD player that would work with the BMW unit?

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Why new speakers?
    Because the stock speakers were made to work with the stock amp which has built-in crossovers.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8L Roadster
    This is new to me. What are built in crossovers?

My Cars
    S-197 GT 5 Spd
    This is new to me. What are built in crossovers?
    Inline crossover's that cut off at a predetermined frequency. This is in place so that low frequencies never make it to your mid ranges and tweeters. Same could be said about a sub's crossover which would cancel all high frequencies. This all prevents damage to speakers and utilizes the speakers as they are intended to be used.

My Cars
    E91 xiT CA Navi BT
    You can also get Peripheral SVEN adapter for like $50-60 and get it installed correctly.
    VP Electricity

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8L Roadster
    If I get a peripheral SVEN adapter installed will that fix the problem? Or do I need to still buy new speakers/amp??

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    If your stock amp is already tosted, Peripheral SVEN isn't going to help much now.

My Cars
    E91 xiT CA Navi BT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved
    If your stock amp is already tosted, Peripheral SVEN isn't going to help much now.
    Probably not toasted.
    Last edited by el.duderino; 04-17-2006 at 06:34 PM.
    VP Electricity

My Cars
    1998 750iL
    The thump is usually caused by the speaker cone moving too far, and when the cone hits the end of the suspension travel you get a thump. This is caused by one of two things. The first is you are overdriving the speakers with too much power/bass. Solution - turn down the volume/bass or get speakers that will handle that level. The other reason is that the speaker is "blown" and allowing overexcursion with a normal amount of power. Solution - replace the speaker.

The amp is probably okay. If you overdrive the inputs of the amp it will distort, not thump. If there is no distortion, the amp should be fine.

My Cars
    E91 xiT CA Navi BT
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcgann
    The thump is usually caused by the speaker cone moving too far, and when the cone hits the end of the suspension travel you get a thump. This is caused by one of two things. The first is you are overdriving the speakers with too much power/bass. Solution - turn down the volume/bass or get speakers that will handle that level. The other reason is that the speaker is "blown" and allowing overexcursion with a normal amount of power. Solution - replace the speaker.
    Actually, I have to say wrong and wrong.

If the amp is getting DC on its inputs, the speaker is thumping as it reaches the limits of its travel for the same reason that it thumps with a 9V battery across the terminals - the amp is TELLING it to thump!

Get rid of the clipping inputs, get rid of the thump.
    VP Electricity

My Cars
    1998 750iL
    I have never heard an amp that was clean right up until it started clipping. If there is no distortion just before the thump, there is no clipping.

My Cars
    E36 98.6 M3 ....E34 given to my brother.
    Its the amp, I changed my head unit and I lost the base it was just hard thums but I changed the amp and my sound went back to sweet. Those 5.25in speakers do have a interesting kick to them. But change the amp and you should be good.
    No other like it, Le ///M3