1997 COSMOS M3/4

question for brake experts

(I tried searching for info ...no joy
    so apologies if you seen this before)
    MY QUESTION: Bentley manual says
    "Special equipment required"
    ie read GO TO STEALER
    in order to bleed brakes
    on M3 with Traction/Stability Control (ASC+).
    Is this true or BS?
    I drive 97 M3. anyone know?

I'm thinking of changing pads + rotors
    soon for 1st time and I'm a novice to this so
    trying to get all info to do it right,
    TIA
    Niall
    [img]
    [/img]

M3*TR
    97 M3/4 COSMOS BLACK

My Cars
    98 M3/4 && 02 325iT
    no need to bleed the brakes if you're just changing pads or rotors and are happy with the firmness of your brake pedal.

only if you:
    - have a mushy pedal
    - disconnect a brake line
    should you need to bleed the brakes.

there have been lots of discussions about brake bleeding on M3's, since "to do it right" the dealer will attach some electronic gizmos to your car to run the ABS pump as well as the ASC pump (which both use the brakes). there have been debates about if this is really necessary. let your pedal foot decide.

zs

My Cars
    2003 M3 SMG
    I changed the pads and discs on my car with out bleeding and everything works fine. Just make sure the cap is off the reservoir before you push the caliper pistons in when installing the new pads. As long as you don’t start pressing the brake pedal down when you do this you’ll be fine ! If you like the firmness (or fading) of you current setup then you could leave the same brake fluid in an do what I mentioned above. Seems to work ok for me. I think if I had to bleed them I’d go to a shop though. Good luck on the brake change…you’ll have to pound the hell out of the rotors go get them off.

--J
    2003 M3

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    You can bleed your brakes yourself with either a pressure bleeder or with a companion. No problem. Its not a big deal if you don't flush the little bit of fluid in the ABS system. If you really want to get it good, many people recommend bleeding brakes, driving the car to engage the ABS, then bleeding the brakes again.

Anyway, bottom-line is that there is no problem bleeding the brakes yourself.
    Blue 2002 540i/6
    Former Arctic Silver 1998 M3 Track Car
    Shopping for new track car!

My Cars
    Nissan Titan, M5
    Kragen auto also has a one man bleeder kit. It's like 7 bucks and it works just as good as a two man job, and way better than a pressure bleeder.
    BFC Nikonian #1

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Originally posted by cleoent
    Kragen auto also has a one man bleeder kit. It's like 7 bucks and it works just as good as a two man job, and way better than a pressure bleeder.
    $7 for a one-man brake bleeder kit? Better than a pressure bleeder? I've never heard of Kragen auto. Please tell us more! Inquiring minds want to know.
    Blue 2002 540i/6
    Former Arctic Silver 1998 M3 Track Car
    Shopping for new track car!

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    On the bleeding issue, I've used Speedbleeders and a Motiv Powerbleeder. I prefer the former.

However, I believe that Earls Solo Bleed is better than both of those. . . I'll be switching to that setup eventually. Unlike the Speedbleeders, they do not rely on a seal b/t the nipple and the caliper.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    1997 COSMOS M3/4
    Thanks all!
    This forum is the best,
    until I started using it I didn't know
    anything about my car.
    Now I feel confident tackling the little jobs
    like oil-change,sparkplugs etc.
    Brakes my biggest challenge to date.
    PS this forum great relief from a boring day at the office
    (I learn new stuff and its free)
    [img]
    [/img]

M3*TR
    97 M3/4 COSMOS BLACK

My Cars
    Nissan Titan, M5
    Originally posted by M3inSC

$7 for a one-man brake bleeder kit? Better than a pressure bleeder? I've never heard of Kragen auto. Please tell us more! Inquiring minds want to know.
    It's an autoparts store here on the westcoast. I'm sure your local auto parts store will have it. I forget the brand (sorry) but all it is is a little bottle with a magnet and a tube that connects to the bleeder valve. You plug in the line open the valve go and pump your brake line. I'm not sure how it works but it does work very well. No air gets in the line and it takes all the air out of the lines. It's really cool.
    BFC Nikonian #1

My Cars
    Nissan Titan, M5
    free? How did you get into this place free? I'm stuck payin me 99.99 monthly membership fee... am i the only one? Wait a minute are you one of them credit card hacker guys?
    BFC Nikonian #1