Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The tunnel insulation is rubbing on the drive shaft

My Cars
    1998 528i-t, & Jap Stuff
    I was talking to someone with an 850 and he said he took his insulation out because it was going the same thing, but he replaced iut with a piece of dynamat to keep the noise/heat down. It actually made the car a fair bit quieter and doesn't hang down anymore. He just cleaned the area thoroughly and glues the dynamat up there. I imagine a couple simple metal brackets bent to shape and clipped at the bottom (of bent back to the tranny support) would hold it up and out of the way. It falls away from the point where the shifter support bar slides in on my car.

No paint for 8-10 inches - ignore it, figure it keeps rust away and if I fix it I'll have rust (I'm just lazy).

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore
    How much heat will it let in if removed? I'm assuming its not really going to do any harm removing it, but how much extra heat are you feeling in the cabin?
    When I installed my UUC Clutch I cut every bit of that crap out. However, I can’t really speak of the amount of heat because I don’t drive it that much. You can hear the tranny more with the insulation removed, which doesn’t bother me but it may bother some.

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    The insulation is more for sound than heat. I haven't noticed any extra heat or sound though.

Plus its a race car now (tranny insulation removal mod) +15whp!

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    In that case, F-it. Out it comes! Like the dynamat idea though.

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore
    In that case, F-it. Out it comes! Like the dynamat idea though.
    yup, makes it easier to get to the top tranny bolts and the shift linkage also.

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    just cut mine out w00t, my car doesn't sound like a 1991 caprics anymore

My Cars
    96 M3 LUX, 03 X5 4.4
    I used a couple self tapping screws and a 1” wide strip of thin sheet metal.

I threaded the sheet metal up and over the shift linkage and then pressed it into the contours of the tunnel. Made a couple marks where the metal was at the peak of the tunnel, then pulled it out to pre-drill the screws into the sheet. The insulation is now well braced and quite secure!

Here are a couple pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/uXpbUNj
    Last edited by BRMiller; 05-27-2019 at 08:30 PM.

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by BRMiller View Post
    I used a couple self tapping screws and a 1” wide strip of thin sheet metal.

I threaded the sheet metal up and over the shift linkage and then pressed it into the contours of the tunnel. Made a couple marks where the metal was at the peak of the tunnel, then pulled it out to pre-drill the screws into the sheet. The insulation is now well braced and quite secure!
    A lovely update to a 13 year old thread.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    96 M3 LUX, 03 X5 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by DrftKingIII View Post
    A lovely update to a 13 year old thread.
    Ha! Thanks, dude, that’s funny

And it’ll be relevant 13 years from now too! 😀

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BRMiller View Post
    Ha! Thanks, dude, that’s funny

And it’ll be relevant 13 years from now too! 
    True enough. It is a well known and much discussed problem. One of the forum members (Brett) sells a bracket to solve this problem.
    https://www.msportparts.com/collections/brackets-and-reinforcement-plates/products/e36-transmission-tunnel-insulation-brackets
    Not cheap but specialty one-off parts typically are not. And it fixes the problem.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
    True enough. It is a well known and much discussed problem. One of the forum members (Brett) sells a bracket to solve this problem.
    https://www.msportparts.com/collections/brackets-and-reinforcement-plates/products/e36-transmission-tunnel-insulation-brackets
    Not cheap but specialty one-off parts typically are not. And it fixes the problem.
    Was going to suggest this. Worth every penny. They are by FAR the best fix for this. (outside of redoing the entire insulation).
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Unfortunately the set Brett sells is applicable to manual transmission only.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 95beema View Post
    Both my M's had this problem. I actually looked at buying new trans tunnel insulation but it is expensive. Needless to say sissors did the trick. I cut mine out right in front of the shifter. On a side note one of my M's shift way better because the crap was rubbing on it too.
    New tunnel insulation includes attached firewall insulation. It is a big job as you have to strip the firewall to do it right. There is a lot of stuff attached to the firewall. I did this but only because the engine was already out. It was still a huge PITA.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Shogun,

Automatic don’t have this issue as bad because the alu heatshield is longer helping retain the insulation shape.

Technically they do work, but I removed the compatibility from my list because I made a mistake in how easy they are to install. I just didn’t want to deal with it. Manual owners take a few minutes, autos take an hour+.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Joe and Hova for the support

To those thinking about cutting the insulation; Yes, it’s cheap and works... however it looks really tacky and the insulation inside falls out for ages after you break the seal.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 05-30-2019 at 06:00 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Yes, I had that wobble also on my automatic M3, but not that bad, insulation was falling down at the rear of the 5HP18 and onto the giubo, 4 years ago I just cut the insulation in that area and the rest still holds. But on the long run I will give the insulation some support. As I have a pit and a transmission jack, it made it easier to do the job. Exhaust must come off. So we loosened the 6 copper nuts M10 in the front (have 6 new of them ready) , but did not take them off the bolts, so the exhaust was secured in the front but movable downwards, rear and middle we took off the brackets/rubbers and with the trans jack we lowered the exhaust so far, that we could pull out the silver color metal shroud between exhaust and driveshaft towards the rear, the wires from the O2 sensors were long enough, so even no need to disconnected the O2 sensors.
    The 'fiber' mat was already damaged from the giubo and the fibers came down, so no chance to fix it somehow. So I used a cutter knife and scissors and cut all from the old fiber mat from the end of the trans housing - above giubo - driveshaft off, so all of that mat above/around the giubo and driveshaft is gone now, no more noise. No need to cut much, maybe around 10-15cm width.

But your solution is excellent.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    I took a length or hardware store perforated steel strip, bent it into an inverted U, and positioned it looped over the transmission to support the original sagging insulation mat. There are a couple of existing weld studs with plastic nuts on either side of the tunnel that I used to attach the U — no additional fasteners needed. Cheap, effective and has been working well since 2005 — before this ancient thread started!

I was installing a clutch/flywheel at the time and had the transmission completely removed, but it should be doable without that.

In an ideal world I'd cut out the transmission tunnel part of the insulation but leave the firewall section in place, then use Koolmat #04248 or similar (https://www.koolmat.com/heat-resista...ts-protection/) to line the tunnel. However in an ideal world I'm never taking my transmission out again!

Neil

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I used 3M spray adhesive to stiffen up and restore the integrity of mine (sprayed between the delaminating layers), and also to stick it to the underbody. Seems to still be holding up ok. If it ever starts to sag again I'll just buy those brackets.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12