Thread: NE1 Using an EMP Stewart Water Pump?

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M

NE1 Using an EMP Stewart Water Pump?

After reading the Roundel article and the spec sheet I’m planning for this to be my next upgrade, while waiting to get screwed. NE1 have first hand experience?

Thanks in advance

William

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    I'll let you know after the weekend. Have it sitting in my garage as we speak(type)

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I installed on a few weeks ago. I did it as part of a cooling system overhaul, not to address an overheating problem. I plan for more power in the future and figured it could not hurt, especially if I am using the weaker 318i engine fan. Straight forward installation. The only change I noticed was that the system bled much faster and easier. The old pump was a metal impeller OEM one in my 99 M3 with 55k miles.

Philip Bradley

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb
    I installed on a few weeks ago. I did it as part of a cooling system overhaul, not to address an overheating problem. I plan for more power in the future and figured it could not hurt, especially if I am using the weaker 318i engine fan. Straight forward installation. The only change I noticed was that the system bled much faster and easier. The old pump was a metal impeller OEM one in my 99 M3 with 55k miles.

Philip Bradley
    How did you bleed the system? Or should I say what is the recommended procedure?

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I followed Bentley and online instructions. Loosen bleed screw, turn heat on full, rev engine to 2500, watch for air bubbles in pour over through the coolant resevoir cap, fill with coolant as necessary, clean up any mess from coolant coming out bleed screw. I have done this 3 times and never complete the job in 10 minutes the first time in the driveway. It always takes 3 days of driving and I have had to add as much as a gallon. With the Stewart pump, the initial fill and bleed after installation seemed faster and easier. I had to add a pint once a day or so later and another pint about a week later. I was not driving the car much or this might have happened faster.

Maybe there are better techniques out there that others will share, but these have been my experiences.

Philip Bradley

My Cars
    2011 1M
    Recommend you put front wheels on ramps. Makes bleeding easier.

Neil
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    What about this t-stst bleed screw i hear about?

My Cars
    potato
    if I'm not mistaken, the bleed screw is on the radiator.

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury
    lift just the passanger front corner... this way the overflow tank is the highest point. I filled up my coolant system and didnt even have to bleed anything... works every time.

oh yea im using the pump, really nice solid design that thing seems indestructable lol... I didnt push the car so I didnt really notice any clt temp changes.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Only older cars with expansion tank at the windshield had a t-stat bleed screw ie M20, M30

My Cars
    Turbo M3, Cosworth Benzo
    I Installed it on my motor, haven't used it yet though... ha
    ///Andres
    11 X5d sport - daily tow rig
    09 335d - evolve tuned 327whp / 490wtq
    97 M3 - NASA TTB
    95 M3 Turbo - 3.0l s52, PTE74GTQ, AEM EMS & CDI, etc

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5
    Like to hear some feedback from this pump as well.

As for bleeding, my friend told me to fill from the upper radiator hose. Works like a charm.

-Rich
    M3 Sedan Club President #21

My Cars
    e36 GT35 Turbo
    Just a sidebar
    Does your EMP waterpump have one of those small metal freeze-plugs that looks half -open almost broken?

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury

Quote Originally Posted by bmwperson
    yes
    Im runing the stewart water pump on my turbo m3.. I had to shave it some because is was hitting my harmonic balancer. Other than that its working great.

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury
    Quote Originally Posted by SM3
    Im runing the stewart water pump on my turbo m3.. I had to shave it some because is was hitting my harmonic balancer. Other than that its working great.
    Concentric here had the same problem, cast was different i guess Mine was perfect 5m to install

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwperson
    lift just the passanger front corner... this way the overflow tank is the highest point. I filled up my coolant system and didnt even have to bleed anything... works every time.
    Just fill to the line and drive? You have an m50(2)/s50(2) right?

As for bleeding, my friend told me to fill from the upper radiator hose. Works like a charm.
    Really...and to think all along I've been using the long and messy Bentley procedure.
    -Curt

stock CR 92 non-vanos 325 / first ever Holset HY35 powered BMW / custom tubular manifold & motor mount / stock DME tuning / tial 50mm bov / 46mm xspower w.g. / green top injectors / IC piping designed by myself (above subframe of course) / 12x28x3" IC / oil return into pan that seems to work / e21 tranny mounts / custom blow through MAF / koni sport kit / 18x8.5 mvr replica's / various leaks & body colours

My Cars
    None
    Hey guys.. I am currently doing a GB on the EMP Stewart Water Pumps.
    Price is $185.00 shipped and I have 14 units arriving on Monday.

If you would like to place an order please PM me your billing and shipping address and call me at 323-257-5773 and ask for Jon. I will take your CC info. over the phone.

If you would like to pay using Paypal, please send $185.00 to paypal account Joe@themshop.com. For CA residents, please send $200.26 (sorry but I have to include tax which we do not profit from)

My Cars
    2011 1M
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWguy206
    Hey guys.. I am currently doing a GB on the EMP Stewart Water Pumps.
    Price is $185.00 shipped and I have 14 units arriving on Monday.

If you would like to place an order please PM me your billing and shipping address and call me at 323-257-5773 and ask for Jon. I will take your CC info. over the phone.

If you would like to pay using Paypal, please send $185.00 to paypal account Joe@themshop.com. For CA residents, please send $200.26 (sorry but I have to include tax which we do not profit from)
    Understand that a slight redesign was in the works to address the problem with the pump contacting the harmonic balancer and creating a ringing noise.
    Are the units you're shipping modified?

Neil
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    Understand that a slight redesign was in the works to address the problem with the pump contacting the harmonic balancer and creating a ringing noise.
    Are the units you're shipping modified?

Neil
    x2
    -Curt

stock CR 92 non-vanos 325 / first ever Holset HY35 powered BMW / custom tubular manifold & motor mount / stock DME tuning / tial 50mm bov / 46mm xspower w.g. / green top injectors / IC piping designed by myself (above subframe of course) / 12x28x3" IC / oil return into pan that seems to work / e21 tranny mounts / custom blow through MAF / koni sport kit / 18x8.5 mvr replica's / various leaks & body colours

My Cars
    None
    I'll find out on Monday. All I know is that my supplier had them on backorder for a few weeks and he just got new units in today.

My Cars
    None
    OK I just got in 14 of the EMP Stewart Water Pumps. I test fitted one pump on a 2.8L engine and it does clear the front crank harmonic balancer. EMP trimmed or shaved a bit of material off from the "weep hole" location.

I have already sold 3 units so I have 11 left. Price is $185.00 shipped.

Please see attached picture.
    Last edited by BMWguy206; 03-07-2007 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    are my money pit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore
    I'll let you know after the weekend. Have it sitting in my garage as we speak(type)
    ditto