Thread: AC & Power Steering delete questions...

My Cars
    94 325IS

AC & Power Steering delete questions...

My ac does not blow cold, and my power steering is lound and getting worse. I would rather use a shorter belt and free up some power, then spend money to fix these luxurys.

I noticed the AC belt is seperate, and can be removed, simple as that right?

The power steering belt is shared with the water pump and alternator, what size belt is needed, and do I have to mod the tensioner or anything?

I did a few searches and found nothing, and help would be nice.

one more questions is the air pipe comming from the fan shroud to the alternator, what the heck is this? mine is falling apart, and taking up alot of space..

My Cars
    1995 325
    The AC belt can be removed with no problems. Before you remove the power steering pump, sit in the car with the engine not running. Now try to turn the steering wheel. That is how hard it will be with no pump. Sure you want to remove it? The pipe is used to bring in air to cool the alternator, may or may not hurt to remove it.
    1995 325I, tinted windows, K&N, debaffled airbox, Nighthawk low beams, BMW style #104 wheels, smoked corners, smoked sidemarkers, smoked taillights, M3 style heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Once the car is moving, you probably wouldn't even notice the lack of PS. That said, it's not meant to work that way, so I dunno if you wanna try and convert it. It would be nice if they made E36s without PS, or at least if there was a rack that would swap right in. If you pull the AC belt and never plan to use the AC again...you can always pull it out and save a few pounds while decluttering your engine bay.

My Cars
    turbo325is, 01 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Spood
    Once the car is moving, you probably wouldn't even notice the lack of PS. That said, it's not meant to work that way, so I dunno if you wanna try and convert it. It would be nice if they made E36s without PS, or at least if there was a rack that would swap right in. If you pull the AC belt and never plan to use the AC again...you can always pull it out and save a few pounds while decluttering your engine bay.

agreed, if you have ever driven a car without power steering you know what its like to drive... as spood mentioned the car was never intended not to have P/S. and im not sure what/if the penalties would be. ive deleted my A/C minus the auxilury fan, its a simple as removing the belt.

My Cars
    e46 325ci
    Get to a roll, kill the engine, and see how hard it is to steer.

My Cars
    1995 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Goon
    Get to a roll, kill the engine, and see how hard it is to steer.
    If you turn the engine off while running the steering wheel may lock. Not a good thing to happen. It will be much harder to steer, even with the car moving. You need to get it fixed.
    1995 325I, tinted windows, K&N, debaffled airbox, Nighthawk low beams, BMW style #104 wheels, smoked corners, smoked sidemarkers, smoked taillights, M3 style heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.

My Cars
    BMW 325TDS 1994
    Quote Originally Posted by tomt30273
    If you turn the engine off while running the steering wheel may lock. Not a good thing to happen. It will be much harder to steer, even with the car moving. You need to get it fixed.
    you only kill the ignition, (one click) not all the way so you activate the steering wheel lock....
    My cars:

Mercedes 190D 2,0 5s manual.
    Mercedes 190D 2,5 Turbo auto.

(SOLD, and missed) 1994 325TDSA

My Cars
    72' 2002, 325XiT, 530i
    Cars without P/S are engineered with less caster. Our cars have quite a bit of positive caster for high speed stability, as well as handling, road feel etc., P/S compensates for the extra steering effort caused by positive caster, so in short, it's gonna be quite a bit harder to steer, try it out, remember you'll lose power brake assist after a few presses if you kill the engine while you're moving.

My Cars
    94 325IS
    wow, thanks for all the input guys! I have deleted power steering on many of my cars, its hardest to steer while the car is not moving, but when the tires are rolling its a little better. My 93 cobra has had a power steer rack with no pump for a number of years. Has anyone done this? what lenght belt do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by motoracr22
    Cars without P/S are engineered with less caster. Our cars have quite a bit of positive caster for high speed stability, as well as handling, road feel etc., P/S compensates for the extra steering effort caused by positive caster, so in short, it's gonna be quite a bit harder to steer, try it out, remember you'll lose power brake assist after a few presses if you kill the engine while you're moving.
    the brake assist is run off manifold vacume correct? Im not going to loos any brake assist with the PS bypassed? I know this happenes on 98 cobras ( my room mates car)

My Cars
    94 325IS
    am I just going to have to put string around the pulleys to get the lenght?

My Cars
    94 325IS
    I know at least 1 person has deleted their power steering insead of paying hundreds to fix bad pumps......

My Cars
    2001 bmw 325i

I’m trying to do this as well

Hey I’m wondering if you were ever able to find the right belt size? I’m trying to do this on my e46 rn

Quote Originally Posted by wannaBm3 View Post
    I know at least 1 person has deleted their power steering insead of paying hundreds to fix bad pumps......