Thread: Humming noise from driver rear wheel...

My Cars
    bmw, z

Humming noise from driver rear wheel...

there is a humming sound that slows as the car slows, so i got out and tugged on the wheel and there is some play...

what could be the problem??
    "Let me show you them..."

My Cars
    '99 528it 5-speed
    Wheel hub bearing.
    ~Desmond

'99 BMW 528it 5-speed
    '87 Renault GTA convertible

My Cars
    Avus/Black 97 328is
    Wheel Bearing would be my guess.
    For Sale, E36
    92-95 Non M Airbag-$50
    21.5# injectors(50k miles)-$60
    Crystal Clear 4 door corners-$20
    Grey 2dr C Pillars covers-$30
    Grey Sunvisors-$30
    Grey Sunroof Motor cover-$10
    Grey Sunroof trim peice-#10

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=566229

My Cars
    95' M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestoMB
    Wheel Bearing would be my guess.
    +2 had the same problem

My Cars
    bmw, z
    ok heres something new, did your wheels hub bearings pop when you go around a turn in the direction oppisite of the side the noise is coming from?

in other words, if my prob is on the driver and i turn kinda hard at any speed to the right, i hear poping, loud as hell too. also im sure this goes along with that, the faster i got the more rapid the popping

if that changes anything...

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    Hub bearings make the most noise when you turn away from them, because the load shift to than side.

My Cars
    99 Jeep Cherokee
    Im gonna say wheel bearing... get it checked out cuz you dont want a wheel bearing to go out when your driving down the highway... haha ive had that pleasant experience before

My Cars
    bmw, z
    alright thanks, i have a complete rear subframe here at the house so ill just pick the parts i need off that and swap em?

one last thing, where is the part i need to replace, and is there anything else along with the hub bearing that i need to replace...basically the whole rotor assebmly?

thanks a lot for the help

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    After your take the rotor off the part left is the hub and the bearing is in the center.

My Cars
    97 528I, 07 328I
    Wheel bearing ehh?? WTF...when bought this car, I had the same sound from the Right Real of the car like OP described but no pop or click sound. I brought it back to the place and asked them what went wrong. They said it was my wheel bearing and they fixed it with charging labor cost and when I get my car back...the sound get came from the back is decrease but now I got the pop/click sound everytimes I turn right or go over a bump. I gave up on that...
    (sorry for stealing your post)

My Cars
    1992 midnight blue 325i
    im having the same problem as we speak.....

My Cars
    BMW E36
    I had the same problem when i bought my car. Wheel Bearing replacement.

Play on.

My Cars
    bmw, z
    well i have a passenger rear that i wont be needing if one of yall need it...

im gonna try and get the rotor off probably tonight, but last time i tried to get a rotor off it was fruitless...i couldnt break the little hex bolt free...any advice?

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot E36 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mackle
    Wheel bearing ehh?? WTF...when bought this car, I had the same sound from the Right Real of the car like OP described but no pop or click sound. I brought it back to the place and asked them what went wrong. They said it was my wheel bearing and they fixed it with charging labor cost and when I get my car back...the sound get came from the back is decrease but now I got the pop/click sound everytimes I turn right or go over a bump. I gave up on that...
    (sorry for stealing your post)
    Do you know if they replaced the wheel bearing itself? If they only charged you for labor and nothing for the parts, then they probably just did something to prevent the humming sound from going off, and you said that when you got the car back you still heard the noise but less than before??? Once it starts to make that sound you will have to replace it already... raped...

Otherwise, that popping clicking sound could also not be from the bearing . . .

My Cars
    97 528I, 07 328I
    Quote Originally Posted by blink21m3
    Do you know if they replaced the wheel bearing itself? If they only charged you for labor and nothing for the parts, then they probably just did something to prevent the humming sound from going off, and you said that when you got the car back you still heard the noise but less than before??? Once it starts to make that sound you will have to replace it already... raped...

Otherwise, that popping clicking sound could also not be from the bearing . . .
    They did not charge me for labor but they charged me for parts..$350...and they showed me what they took out which im not mistaking was the trailing arm.