Thread: P1188 and P1189

My Cars
    02' M3 & '98 M3/4

P1188 and P1189

Anyone have any idea what these codes are?? I searched and came up dry??

ALi

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BaLLZacK
    Anyone have any idea what these codes are?? I searched and came up dry??

ALi
    To my best knowledge, code 1188 is about spark plugs ( they maybe loose.) need to be tighten. and 1189 Is something about 02 sensor and spark plug also. But if you have a turbo car 1189 code can be about over boosting.

My Cars
    97' M3, 2000' M5
    Quote Originally Posted by HJE36
    To my best knowledge, code 1188 is about spark plugs ( they maybe loose.) need to be tighten. and 1189 Is something about 02 sensor and spark plug also. But if you have a turbo car 1189 code can be about over boosting.
    What are you talking about? How does stock 98' m3 obdII codes have anything to do with overboosting?

On that note, those codes are for an air fuel metering problem. I have seen different fixes however, from air leaks, to O2 sensors. So definatly make sure all your intake tracts are tight and that there is no unmetered air entering/escaping anywhere (i.e. check TB boot, manifold gaskets, TB gasket, injector o-rings, and especially the ICV hose which can get either torn or disconected). Any sort of air leak will cause this. good luck

My Cars
    98 M3
    Did you read i said " but if..."?????

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. M3
    On that note, those codes are for an air fuel metering problem. I have seen different fixes however, from air leaks, to O2 sensors. So definatly make sure all your intake tracts are tight and that there is no unmetered air entering/escaping anywhere (i.e. check TB boot, manifold gaskets, TB gasket, injector o-rings, and especially the ICV hose which can get either torn or disconected). Any sort of air leak will cause this. good luck
    +1

i got the same codes when i installed the first 3.5" HFM on my car. eventually i found out it was bad and ended up replacing it with a brand new one. but it could definitely also be due to vacuum leaks and they are much cheaper to fix too.
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    Dyno: 242rwhp/232rwtq
    SOLD

My Cars
    02' M3 & '98 M3/4
    Thanks fellas problem solved!!

My Cars
    99 M3
    what was it?

My Cars
    Nissan Altima Limited Ed
    sorry for bumpin the old thread but i just got this code and this is the newest thread..

BaLLZacK what was the problem and how did you fix it?

I just replaced my sparkplugs 800 miles ago and everything was running fine untill this morning. The car idled a little bit rough but ran fine

My Cars
    97' M3, 2000' M5
    Tell us a little more about your problem so we can diognose it. What are the symptoms, ie. cold starts, low idle roughness, stalls, ect...

My Cars
    02 IR
    For me It was the MAF

Oil from the PCV getting all over the inside of the MAF.

Clean it with 93% alch and it went right away.

Gotta run me a catch can.
    Ed Hardy: Its like wearing a riced out civic.

2002 Imola Red M3
    2003 Evolution

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    I had this code recently. Basically it's telling you that the amount of air being metered at the intake isn't matching the amount of air the O2 sensors are reading in the exhaust. Either fuel or air is not metering or reading correctly.

The list of items I found to check/replace were: o2 sensors, air intake leaks, fuel filter, and HFM. I replaced each of them one at a time, and only when the new (to me) HFM went in was it fixed.

My Cars
    02' M3 & '98 M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by hinzm3
    what was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by adeelpowers
    sorry for bumpin the old thread but i just got this code and this is the newest thread..

BaLLZacK what was the problem and how did you fix it?

I just replaced my sparkplugs 800 miles ago and everything was running fine untill this morning. The car idled a little bit rough but ran fine
    If I mentioned the fix, I would be flamed!!!

*Puts on Flame Suit*

I forgot to put the oil cap back on!! Flame away fellas I really felt like douche afterwards!!!
    Last edited by BaLLZacK; 06-02-2006 at 07:22 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    ok i think i might've done the same thing as BaLLZacK.. I added more oil last night and after i got the codes pulled i noticed my dipstick wasnt all the way in.. so would this have caused the ecu to throw the codes? I got the codes cleared so i guess i'll have to wait and see

P.S. i posted this from my brother's account (Adeelpowers)
    99 Alpine/Gutted ///M3

Estoril/M-Technic cloth ///M3
    - RIP http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1191513

My Cars
    95 ls400 (RIP), 98 m3 (RIP), 67 datsun 2k, 85 gts
    I got these codes too. can't figure it out. more hunting

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe- 3050lbs
    Don't know how old this thread is but I just got this 1189 code once deleted it and it did come back so there must be something going on here.

Herels the setup, I have a brand new 803 Bosch 3.5" HFM from Turner, also the Schrick cam software that was made for this HFM, and brand new 24lb injectors from Turner.

When I did the install of my camshafts i switched to single prong new spark plugs cause mine were dated but since then I have issues starting the car, it just cranks over a bunch then finally it starts (once every 25-35 starts) so I know I need some new spark plugs. Could this be the issue? Also I noticed my Conforti intake, I forgot to put on the clamp that connects the fliter to the cf intake tube so it wasnt in fully, maybe it was leaking there but that is Pre HFM so I don't know.

Last but not least, a week ago I had the check engine light on and it was this 1188 and 1189 codes + misfire cylinder 1-2 and 3 so 5 codes in total. They have not came back and I am assuming its from the spark plugs. Car runs amazing btw no studders anyways always pulls pulls pulls.

Plan:

Replace the plugs, and I tightened up the intake filter. If I get it again Turner better give me a new one as it was 500 dollars with the adaptor kit and software.

My Cars
    E39 M5, M3 #226 CM
    I had a cracked throttle body intake boot on mine when I got these codes - the one that connects between the HFM and the actual throttle body.

Mine had 160k miles on it and was cracked between the bellows - couldn't see it until I took it out of the car but there were several.

Air leaks anywhere down stream from the HFM will cause these codes

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    I too have these codes. My intake boot had tears in it so I replaced it with a new OEM one, but my codes are still here. Could it be the o2 sensors? If it is, which ones do I replace?