Thread: euro headlight adjuster

My Cars
    see sig

euro headlight adjuster

Can someone direct me to a resource for the installation instructions? I got it but it's in german.

BTW, it's the servo kit that allows you to raise/lower the euro headlights via a dial on your dash.

TIA,
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    1997 M3
    I was wondering where did you purchase this?
    and how much?

Re: euro headlight adjuster

Originally posted by fast4d
    Can someone direct me to a resource for the installation instructions? I got it but it's in german.

BTW, it's the servo kit that allows you to raise/lower the euro headlights via a dial on your dash.

TIA,
    Some BMW dealers can do it. Mine can. Also, a good German speaking mechanic should have no difficulty with it as these things are mandated by law in Europe, and no language barrier...

Originally posted by ///M LIFE
    I was wondering where did you purchase this?
    and how much?
    You can buy these kits from BMW dealers. Parts guys can let you know what it is - they have it on their Euro parts CD. Last time I checked it was about US$200 for two - supply only.

My Cars
    '01 M Roadster
    What is the purpose of this device? Don't the American Xenons level themselves?

Originally posted by MDriver315
    What is the purpose of this device? Don't the American Xenons level themselves?
    US Xenons have automatic headlamp self-levelers. That was one of the concessions car makers had to make to DOT if they wanted to fit Xenons to USA spec cars.

The self levelers allow the driver to manually adjust the aim of the headlamps if the car is un-evenly loaded (let's say you put 10 tonnes of sand bags in your trunk for better snow traction or have 4 passenders - two in the back weigh 300lbs each!)

The European laws have required them for ages - every car MUST have them - same with the headlamp washers for Central, and Northern European countries - they are a must.

You use a little tumbler wheel which is located next to the fog lamp switch.

Naturally, you still must have the headlamps aimed properly for this wheel to work. Headlamp aiming is only done with a fancy machine in Europe - no garage doors for them!

My Cars
    see sig
    They ONLY work on ellipsoid lights (euro).

I bought them from "spencer" on this forum.

There are a couple of native german speakers here so I think I'll hit them up.
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    FYI, I think these are the same ones that Alan Taur installed on his. He posts here from time to time, maybe you can PM him?
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

The instructions seem pretty self-explanatory to me.

The confusing part is mounting the leveller motors on the ellipsoids... They mount in an opening just below the power connector. You have to turn (hard) on the plug that's there now, unhook it from the retainer clip on the inside, then pull it out. It helps to open the low-beam housing and actually pull/push on the reflector housing to help the hooking/unhooking process.

The knob at the end of the screw thing on the motor hooks into the place where the plastic knob on the retaining plug went. You'll understand once you do it.

The rest is simple wiring... Undo the dash panel under the steering wheel, run the wiring harness through the firewall where the rest of the dash accessories go through, plug some stuff into the fusebox, and away you go.

I'm waiting to do this at the same time as tilt steering, so it could be a while.