RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Time to change air filter and tune up?

My Cars
    E36 M3, E46 325I

Time to change air filter and tune up?

Hi, I have a 95 M3 for 2 years now and it really needs tune up. I have an flow-tech intake with K&N filter, which I want to replace with a new filter. Is there a part number on all K&N filters? Where can I buy it? What am I suppose to change for a tune up? I barely passed the emission test...Please help! Thanks.
    Simon
    E36 M3 Cosmo Black
    E46 325I Steel Blue
    [img]http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/gallery/picture.php?path=11853,1;-45,1;[img]

You should be able to just wash the K&N filter - buy a K&N cleaning kit, and just follow the directions for cleaning and re-oiling. Many auto parts places, performance shops, and motorcycle shops will carry the cleaning kits. There's also a dealer locator on K&N's web site (www.knfilters.com).

You might want to get a copy of the Bentley manual - all the service/tune up info is in there. Or, go to your local dealer, and ask them for the Inspection I and Inspection II checklists. That should give you a good idea of what you need to do.

Jim

My Cars
    E36 M3, E46 325I
    I was thinking about just cleaning the air filter. But I thought maybe I can buy a new one if its not too expensive $40-$50? Thank you very much for your help, its very informative.
    Simon
    E36 M3 Cosmo Black
    E46 325I Steel Blue
    [img]http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/gallery/picture.php?path=11853,1;-45,1;[img]

My Cars
    X5 (3.0) Sport
    I've got the ECIS CAI on my 98 M3/2 with a K&N cone filter. When I thought it was getting dirty and got the cleaning/re-oil kit, it was pretty obvious to me that a backup K&N cone filter would be pretty handy. Now I keep a "fresh" one in a plastic bag all oiled and ready to go and just swap them. That way there's no rush on cleaning and re-oiling, I can do it on a nice rainy day in the garage.

BTW, installing new plugs on an M3 is pretty simple but it takes some time and patience.

Ken