Thread: Whoa! Not GC mount, Koni Shaft Busted!!!

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06

Whoa! Not GC mount, Koni Shaft Busted!!!

How rare is that? I pulled the JL Stealth Box, pulled the Carpet, Looked ok but shaft felt loose. Jacked car.....large washer falls on floor. Get under....hmmm....then grab shock...it's moving all over. Come around to the wheel well, grab shock....shaft is busted! Sheared clean!!!!

This car is driven on the freeway and neighborhood, no racing, no big bumps I try to baby it over bumps. Was fine Friday nite when I took a kid to/from practice. Sat morning taking a kid to a game, go down street from my house slowly as th car is not warmed up, turn left to go down hill and I start hearing the metallic noise that had me make the GC mount post!

The Koni's came on the car, do I have any recourse with Koni or do I just need to pick up one SA?

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Koni has lifetime warranty. Call them up and explain it. They usually will take your cc number as deposit (they won't charge it) and send you a new shock. If you didn't return the old shock, they will charge your cc. If they determine that the old shock has been improperly used, they will charge your cc. Otherwise, that new shock is free.
    Tom
    "POS VETT"
    "WAHJUDI"
    "PRIK NSD"
    "QUINN A W"

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Thanks! Hope they can get one out quick!!!!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    87 325is
    Hmm, the normal loads on a shock are axial and the shaft should be more than able to deal with those forces unless there was a material defect. However, a broken or loose shock mount or cracked shock towers could subject the shock shaft to repetive bending forces which would concentrate at the shock mount. That could eventually case the shaft to fail.

Might be a good idea to have real good look at the upper shock mount & tower.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    My same thoughts exactly (work in Aerospace) initial brief inspection mount looked ok, when I remove it I'll know better. Doing some home plumbing atm...yeach!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Ok, removed everything. GC Mount was tight top and bottom. No sign of movement. Use a 1/2 drive from the wheelwell (13mm Socket) to loosen and it was nice a tight. Bottom Bolt (18mm) was also very tight, proper torque.

I snapped some pics of everything. Left a message with Koni NA, hope to hear from them tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    And.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove

My Cars
    87 325is
    The resolution isn't good enough to tell is there were any old cracks. A macro shot of the end of either piece might be informative.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Hmm. Maybe that's why a impact wrench is bad! Though, it would be a neat trick to get one in the trunk...
    Sold: 98 M3/4/5 Techno Violet
    Sold: 07 Cayman S
    Sold: 98 Z3 M Roadster
    00 Z3 M Coupe: TC Kline SA, Vorshlag Camber Plates, 255/35/18(F), 295/30/18(R) on APEX ARC8's

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Impact Wrench? I do not have an air system (not until I get a shed built, and room in my garage) so it's all hand labor. Koni's were part of the Vogtland Clubsport Matched System. Been on the Car for about 2yrs I think.

It sheared right at the point where they turn down the shafts diameter to fit different applications. My neighbor (an old time BMW Parts place dude..Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa) says he's seen lots of shocks do that over the years...even one on a Corolla! LOL!

They are 4mb pics, but I had to resize to 800x600 for the forum.....
    Last edited by JETninja; 04-02-2006 at 09:33 PM.

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove

My Cars
    86 D21, EW 66
    The ground control RSMs use a urethane mount, which is kinda stiff. This can cause a slight bending on the shock shaft (but I doubt enought to break anything). When I installed my RSM, I lowered the car first and then tightened the top nut that secures the shock shaft to the RSM. This, and a little grease, prevents preloading and keeps things quiet.

My Cars
    turbo325is, 01 330xi
    oh wow, you werent kidding clean off .. hope you get a replacement asap

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Ok, both Koni (thanks Lee...a member here, owns a '97 M) and GC were very helpful. Lifetime warranty on both is only to the original buyer, but they did sell me one at 1/2 price.

Looking at the guide GC sent me I see two possible things that could have led to this, one the Bottom bushing on the GC mount was in the Race position (compared to Street / flipped position) and I have no idea how tight the upper nut was. It's only supposed to be at 10lbs, GC has a good writeup since its hard to get a Tq wrench on it. Overly tight would add stress to the upper shaft.

I'll be removing the other side and flipping its bushing over, need the shock out anyway so I can match valve setting.

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove

My Cars
    '08 Touareg, 03 M3
    Wow...That is pretty crazy!

Should have called me up. I would have talked to Koni to get you your free shock, since I was the original buyer. Good thing it didn't happen at a critical moment. I can't imagine having no damping force entering a corner on a race track.

JET...On, a second note, I still think you are crazy for thinking that car rides stiff ! I always thought it rode like a luxury car
    2003.5 E46M3 - BBS RGR, BMW Motorsport 3.91, JRZ/Dinan S3 suspension, SuperSprint V1 Stepped/cats, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc

My Cars
    Single speed Schwin
    JETninja,

Can you tell me the username of the Koni rep on this board? My left rear shock has developed a noise and I'm looking into getting warranty replacement. I sent you a PM. Many thanks.