Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How To: Remove your airbag decals.

My Cars
    '04 Z4 3.0i roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by cincychuck View Post
    Phew! Thanks for the reassurance. I have to admit that worst case scenario, even the wrinkles look better than the decals.
    The wrinkles definitely go away. Just give it a few day, then they'll be like new, except without those awful glaring warning stickers.

My Cars
    See sig file
    Where are y'all getting your Goof Off, Home Depot, Wally World, or other place?

Edit: My wife just called to tell me she's buying a can at Lowe's, so I'll get with this this evening.
    Last edited by fastpat; 07-06-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Pat
    ____
    '98 Z3 1.9L + '90 325iCab, '87 535iS_____________
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

My Cars
    2002 z3 2.5 roadster
    For the first time in my life, I'm happy to report full shrinkage was achieved. Visors are back to orignal taughtness post Goop Off. Perhaps the day in the sun helped.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    Vinci, excellent idea. Easiest mod ever haha
    Finally got around to doing it tonight
    I noticed that if you just let the goof-off soak into the decal for a few minutes it just peels off like a sticker, soooo easy!

My Cars
    1998 M3

Thumbs up

Vinci - Just applied the treatment to my M3 today with great results. Wanted to add my experience.

I put about a dime size drop of goof-off on the decal and rubbed it around the decal with a toothbrush for about 10 seconds. I then waited until the decal was all bubbly - about 30 more seconds. Then I scrapped the decal off with a plastic putty knife (or something else plastic and dull would work). Decal was gone and sticky glue still remained. Added some more goof-off (dime size drop) and scrubbed lightly with toothbrush for about a minute and wiped it off with paper towels. There it was, decal and glue completely gone and very minimal wrinkling. Put it in the sun for an hour and it was like it was never there. Wrinkles were completely gone. I believe the less rubbing that occurs the fewer wrinkles.

Thanks for the post. Very helpful!

-m3
    Last edited by michael3; 08-31-2009 at 11:09 PM.

My Cars
    2012 Toyota Venza
    This is my next mod. I am going to stop at lowes on my way home.

Thanks Bill

My Cars
    1999 //M Coupe
    Did this a few weeks ago. I let the goof off sit for a while before attempting to scrub. It worked like a charm, little to no wrinkles and was back in the car in a flash. Thanks for the write-up!

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Resurrecting old thread... I ended up ordering a pair of Euro visors from a parts yard in England that doesn't have the label (apparently not required in their builds). Just another option if anyone is interested in doing this but concerned about going too far with the chemical treatment. Definitely costs more... was about $45 shipped for the pair... found on eBay.co.uk
    Last edited by kojohns; 08-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    Mine shrunk back to where you would never know the difference. You don't need very much goof off to get the job done. Use the minimum solvent rather than just splashing it on and things won't be quite so dramatic.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    2000 Z3 roadster
    I spray painted mine with rattle can in semi-gloss black - Also did it on a couple of Miata's - no issues - just another option - tom
    Visit my Homepage, I have posted many pictures of some the motorcycles / cars I have owned & built over the years - http://www.picturetrail.com/tomhudson

My Cars
    2002 Z3, Pathfinder(R50)
    Quote Originally Posted by kojohns View Post
    Resurrecting old thread... I ended up ordering a pair of Euro visors from a parts yard in England that doesn't have the label (apparently not required in their builds). Just another option if anyone is interested in doing this but concerned about going too far with the chemical treatment. Definitely costs more... was about $45 shipped for the pair... found on eBay.co.uk
    Thanks for this info. I am going to check it out.

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by ArticZ

Thanks for this info. I am going to check it out.
    Search for the seller 'alexandersofsomerset' and send a message to Shaun... He had more than one set... He was also aghast at an imported US Ferrari that had the same sticker we are trying to lose as well here in the States.

My Cars
    07 530xiT, 05 CLK500 Cab
    WOW thread from 2012,
    I just did my visors....(for the third Z 3) you forget how crappy the warnings look.
    Actually I'd be all for removing ALL WARNING LABELS ..... ON EVERYTHING, if you are too stupid to use your brain you should not be part of the gene pool...
    BMWCCA # 12660
    PCA # 1994019867
    2019 Porsche Macan S (75% Mine)
    2018 M/B C 300 Cabrio AMG (wifes)
    2003 Porsche 996 Cabrio 6 speed (99% mine)
    ***FOR SALE 2007 BMW E 61 530xiT
    I WILL BE NEEDING A BMW E 30 CABRIO SOON
    2014 M/B GLK 350 (awful car, lease) gone
    2005 M/B CLK 500 AMG gone
    3 Z3's (gone)
    2006 911 S Cabrio (gone)
    4 Boxsters (gone)
    2006 X5 3.0 (gone)
    1999 528iT (gone)
    1994 525iT (gone)
    7 Assorted 911's (gone)
    60 others (gone over 70 years)

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I tried to remove one from my wife's 2008 Buick Lucerne with fabric visors. It left such a mess that I ordered a new decal and put it back on.

My 1997 does not have the yellow air bag decal on the visor, but does have a seat belt decal there, and a decal on the windshield about electronic devices voiding the warranty.

I now leave such all decals on now, for originality. I was sorry for every decal that was lost from my 1974 2002, which the PO had repainted, even the engine compartment.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    07 530xiT, 05 CLK500 Cab
    Originality yeah...for your car, low mileage super condition...I understand. However my 01 with 81,000 miles...is another story, there is no way that the next purchaser is going to regret not having the decals....
    When I had my 73 tii (40 years ago) painted we were very careful to preserve the labels, and IIRC repro labels were available then
    On another note, I went to buy a ladder a few weeks ago, talk about warning labels....LAWYERS, (I hope you are not one)
    Us "older" guys remember the days BEFORE stupidity was the order of the day...(and there were fewer LAWYERS) flame suit on
    BMWCCA # 12660
    PCA # 1994019867
    2019 Porsche Macan S (75% Mine)
    2018 M/B C 300 Cabrio AMG (wifes)
    2003 Porsche 996 Cabrio 6 speed (99% mine)
    ***FOR SALE 2007 BMW E 61 530xiT
    I WILL BE NEEDING A BMW E 30 CABRIO SOON
    2014 M/B GLK 350 (awful car, lease) gone
    2005 M/B CLK 500 AMG gone
    3 Z3's (gone)
    2006 911 S Cabrio (gone)
    4 Boxsters (gone)
    2006 X5 3.0 (gone)
    1999 528iT (gone)
    1994 525iT (gone)
    7 Assorted 911's (gone)
    60 others (gone over 70 years)

My Cars
    Z3 2.5i Roadster (2001)
    I forgot about the goof off trick and painted mine (like I did with my WRX in the day)...turned out pretty good but I would have tried the goof off first if I had remembered.

visors.JPG

visors 2.JPG

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i
    Just a bump to say that this is one of my favorite mods that I've done. I really like the clean look of the interior after you remove that glaring white and yellow patch. I just went after it with the Goof-Off and the heavy duty blue shop paper towels. Took all of about 15 minutes to get it done, had to hit one of them again, I noticed a white haze and a shadow from where it was, one more pass with fresh solvent cleaned it right up. They do look a little wrinkly right after you get done, but a day later and you can't tell at all.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    FYI, Euro visors have no decals. No clue what they cost, but it's another option.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2001 M roadster
    I’ll +1 Randy’s comment about trying 95% isopropyl alcohol. I used that on my M235’s stickers and it worked a charm, no damage to the underlying visor. I’ve had it on my to-do list for my Z3 so this thread caught my eye. Generally you want to start with the most benign solvent that will do the trick and work up from there. I’m a little hesitant about reports of Goo Gone wrinkling the visor - even if it snaps back that’s got to take a toll on the underlying materials. I’ll try alcohol this weekend and report back!
    /Phil

‘74 tii
    dueling ‘88 E28 535is projects (aka lawn art)
    ‘93 Euro M5
    ‘01 M roadster with a sunburn

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarphil View Post
    I’ll +1 Randy’s comment about trying 95% isopropyl alcohol. I used that on my M235’s stickers and it worked a charm, no damage to the underlying visor. I’ve had it on my to-do list for my Z3 so this thread caught my eye. Generally you want to start with the most benign solvent that will do the trick and work up from there. I’m a little hesitant about reports of Goo Gone wrinkling the visor - even if it snaps back that’s got to take a toll on the underlying materials. I’ll try alcohol this weekend and report back!
    Did you get a chance to try this out? If you did, how did it work out for you?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123