Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95' E36 M3 vs 06' Mustang GT

My Cars
    95 E36 M3

95' E36 M3 vs 06' Mustang GT

It was my first race ever from a stop. About 4 months ago I got my car for my birthday and every sicne then I've been itching to find a race-worthy car with ym fellow students.
    As i recently decided I was fairly-OK at launching and shifting in a racing-situation[all the way to 6500rmps without looking down] I wen tlooking for someone.
    My boy got a 2006 Mustang GT recently, and talked shit jokingly lol.
    My cars previous owner installed a new intake, short-shifter, chip and I think thats it[it was a birthday present, my parents didn't get much information on it].
    his stock 300hp vs my stock 240[probably like 260hp i'm guessing after the mods?]
    So we line up, count of 3, go.
    He spins, i spin a lil but catch traction faster. Neck and neck until i drop it into 3rd, I start pulling. By 90 mph[top-end of 3rd] I look back, i'm 1.5 c.l. ahead. in 4th I'm 2, then 3 carlenths ahead and i shut down around 115mph[we were approaching cars anyways].
    I probably shouldn't have won. He sucks ass at driving manual lol, and mgiht nmto ahve evne been taking it high enoguh in the rpms. But he talked a lot so I decided to shut him up. I tookt he enxt right to head home and waved to him, he looked SO pissed haha]
    oh well. it was fun for a first race.

My Cars
    1999 Corvette FRC
    Nice race. He would have beat if he could drive but a win is a win.

My Cars
    02 M5, '14 328D, '91 325
    haha damn, he must be a shitty driver. Nice kill though. You killed a ford

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Nice kill. Oh, and kiss your parents feet.

My Cars
    BMW
    nice kill

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    Outcome doesn't surprise me. Your ~260hp and his 300hp are evenly matched due to the fact that curb weight for your car is 3175 and his is 3450, besides, peak horsepower isn't everything. Should be close even with his huge torque advantage.

My Cars
    S50 ///M Coupe, DSM
    those new gt stangs are fast...0-60 in 5, and 13 sec 1/4...he should have raped you...good thing youre in highschool with all the kids that cant drive...

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    They went up to 100+. At those speeds, I'll put my money on the m3 b/c of gearing.

My Cars
    S50 ///M Coupe, DSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Montague
    They went up to 100+. At those speeds, I'll put my money on the m3 b/c of gearing.
    are you serious??? i would put all of my money on the new mustang...it shouldnt even be a match...tell me, what are the 60 and 1/4 times on the e36??? nowhere close to the new gt mustang...come on, i know we all have bmws, but yes, there are faster cars out there guys...

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    Not a stock m3 no, but a slightly modded one should hold well into 150+. We're not talking 0-60 here. Almost anything can beat an e36 0-60. Racing to 100+ is a different story. Even my 'stepchild' 325 does a stable 130+ and still has room to go, granted I have more horses than a stock e90 325. Drove a friend's z28 and 110 was unstable. Personally, I don't pick street races. Prefer 100+ highway runs to 140. See who gets scurrrred first. Going fast on public highways is dangerous blah blah!
    Last edited by Montague; 04-01-2006 at 09:34 PM.

My Cars
    E36, E39 540i/6
    By the way, no magazine 0-60 racing.

My Cars
    e30 vert, e36 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy740
    are you serious??? i would put all of my money on the new mustang...it shouldnt even be a match...tell me, what are the 60 and 1/4 times on the e36??? nowhere close to the new gt mustang...come on, i know we all have bmws, but yes, there are faster cars out there guys...
    true true true

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive F30
    Nice kill even though you wouldve had it harder if he knew how to drive. Always a drivers race. A win is a win! haha

My Cars
    S50 ///M Coupe, DSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Montague
    By the way, no magazine 0-60 racing.
    yeah im just showing numbers...these cars in a 1/4 mile, the mustang wins hands down...

My Cars
    Yes please

true..the new stangs are fast...but coming from lots of experience with them, having friends with them, going to the drag strip every friday with them, autocrossing them, d.e events with them etc. etc... in person, they rarely seem to put down what they do on paper. Down here on Fast Friday's at Commerce Raceway I've never seen one break under 13.9 in the quarter and yes the gearing does slow them down a bit. Maybe its the majority of the drivers? Guys who think they are hot shit, but dont know how to drive? No doubt its a faster car...but its not quite as easy to drive as fast. Btw at the strip I go to, they typically avg from 14-14.5 quarters (with avg. drivers) not 13's...I'd give you my car if you could run a 13.0 in a stock GT. Typical E36 M//'s up there run the exact same...and both are easily capable of sub 14's..i've done it in mine stock, but the mustang does have a slight edge..when driven right

My Cars
    Subaru
    No way does a 300hp car run a 5 sec. 0-60. But yeah, appreciate that M3. That would have been the nicest car at my high school no doubt. What's the deal with the lack of editing though, how do you let that many typo's pass by? Haha.

My Cars
    95 E36 M3
    haha yes i would have been raped had he known how to drive, probably. He did tell me prior to the race that its hard to drop into 3rd, and well, that was when i overtook him. so I am guess that the gearing really is messed up on it.
    oh well, i'm gonna convince him to let me test-drive it.

and i do appreciate it. after my frits car got wrecked[93' 325i stock, a girl in a SUV didn't check her blind-spot when pulling out from being parallel parked...bitch.] i went 4 monthes carless, and then woke up with this in the driveway. i'll get pics up soon.

ps: i forgot, it also has x-brace suspension and racing/summer tires. its nice. :-)

My Cars
    1999 Corvette FRC
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/2Man1/2Amazng
    No way does a 300hp car run a 5 sec. 0-60. But yeah, appreciate that M3. That would have been the nicest car at my high school no doubt. What's the deal with the lack of editing though, how do you let that many typo's pass by? Haha.
    C&D got the Mustang GT to 60 in 5.2s two times.

Also, the Mustang should be able to beat the M3 up top. The new Mustangs pull much harder in the high-rpm range, almost like the LS1.

My Cars
    1999 Corvette FRC
    Quote Originally Posted by 95LTW
    t. Down here on Fast Friday's at Commerce Raceway I've never seen one break under 13.9 in the quarter and yes the gearing does slow them down a bit. right
    Everyone knows Commerce is a horrible track for traction. The more torque you have, the worse it gets. Our development drag car (MTI Racing Corvette) is down there almost every Friday and will run a consistent 10.7-10.8 at Commerce than go to Carolina and run 10.5-10.6 and this is on full slicks. Our 60' goes from 1.6s to 1.4s. On street tires the difference is even more noticeable. Most Mustangs I see when I go down there do not hook up and end up running 2.x 60' times.

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    well, m3's have pulled 13 second quarter quite a bit (though far less often than a low or flat 14), and 0-60 times of 5.4 seconds.
    A mustang is probable 5.2 and 13.6-8.
    It definitely has the advantage, but the mods might make up a tiny bit.

But the key here is that they went far beyond the quarter. The stangs fall on their face above 100 mph. It's actually quite bad, considering the torque and hp. The m, on the other hand, is right in it's element.

Given equal drivers, the stang will pull ahead, but the m3 will catch up right after the 1/4 mark or so and maybe pass.

My Cars
    S50 ///M Coupe, DSM
    he said he shut down at around 115mph....the mustang would win up to that speed if it was driven to its ability...we all know that...car for car, the mustang would win...i hate mustangs, but its what the outcome SHOULD be...we are talking about kids who dont have much driving experience here, remember that, so im not doubting the story, im just stating the fact that a mustang should win in perfect conditions/drivers...

My Cars
    E39 528i Sport
    Why oh why (oh why)...do people talk about 0-60 times as if they mean anything!? Quarter mile ET's maybe, but it's all about the trap speed that shows potential. The new Mustang GT traps around 103MPH. That absolutely slays an E36 M3. That means at the end of the quarter the Mustang is travelling about 5 MPH faster than the M3. How quick is that going to build a lead? Pretty damn quick..and the M3 is not going to magically turn that around and pull the pass by 115, not even 125 and probably not before 150, if ever. The Mustang is a faster car, full stop! Original poster got lucky...Im sure he appreciates it.
    Last edited by Cacatfish; 04-03-2006 at 02:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoes View Post
    I admit when I'm wrong, which is pretty rarely.

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    Yes, trap speeds are the most significant teller of speed, but the mustang's gearing was optimized for the 1/4. It really does lose alot up top. This is actually (or so I thought) universally known. The stang definitely retains the advantage in a race, but it WILL lose steam above 100 mph. The M is no rocket, but it can certainly hold it's own at speed.

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    he said he shut down at around 115mph....the mustang would win up to that speed if it was driven to its ability...we all know that...car for car, the mustang would win...i hate mustangs, but its what the outcome SHOULD be...we are talking about kids who dont have much driving experience here, remember that, so im not doubting the story, im just stating the fact that a mustang should win in perfect conditions/drivers...
    Woulda coulda shoulda is a ricers game.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I think either car could have won the race. It sounds like these cars have very simalar 1/4 and it came down to driver, and the bmw is a much easyer car to drive than the new mustang.
    1994 325is- M52 swap, Fan delete, AA chip, CAI, TC-Kline DA, H&R 28mm front sway, Kevin Higgins exhaust, kosei k1 17x8.5's with RA1's, DS2's with REO1R's, 3.23 lsd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast