Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: re: no sound from speakers

My Cars
    bmw

re: no sound from speakers

Had a aftermarket HU then I change it to a panasonic Now I am not getting any sound, HU turns on and works good but no sound, Does anyone know how I can resolve this. I have a 93 325I

notes: if the speaker wires touch each other do sparks suppose to come out? I get no sparks..

My Cars
    '11 XC90, '06 Jetta 2.0T
    do you get sound w/the radio and no sound with cds or just no sound at all?
    -Dave

My Cars
    97 Z3, 2002 Z3
    You may need to turn on/off the internal amp.
    If you hooked up the wiring harness speaker leads to the to the head unit wiring harness but are using an amplified system you will get no sound (i.e. you are running speaker wire to amps but have hooked up the wiring harness speaker leads together).

My Cars
    00 M Roadster, 01 Buell Lightning X1, 07 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by pompeytir
    You may need to turn on/off the internal amp.
    If you hooked up the wiring harness speaker leads to the to the head unit wiring harness but are using an amplified system you will get no sound (i.e. you are running speaker wire to amps but have hooked up the wiring harness speaker leads together).
    You may want to check that you hooked up the CORRECT remote signal to the amp. The reason I say this is because I had the antenna lead hooked up to the remote line, so only the radio played, but not CDs. This was because the amp was only turing on when it was given a signal to the power antenna. Just had to switch to the correct remote signal to get everything to work correctly.
    "True wisdom is knowing you know nothing" ~Socrates

Real Muscle = 1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 with M22 Rockcrusher

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by LS6777
    You may want to check that you hooked up the CORRECT remote signal to the amp. The reason I say this is because I had the antenna lead hooked up to the remote line, so only the radio played, but not CDs. This was because the amp was only turing on when it was given a signal to the power antenna. Just had to switch to the correct remote signal to get everything to work correctly.
    What do u mean exactly u had to "switch", i know the harness has a blue wire which I think it is the remote one, did u have to switch that wire or something else?

note: there is also a blue with white stripe wire from the panasonic harness anybody know what that is?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by elton123
    What do u mean exactly u had to "switch", i know the harness has a blue wire which I think it is the remote one, did u have to switch that wire or something else?

note: there is also a blue with white stripe wire from the panasonic harness anybody know what that is?
    Well, on my car there is blue wire on the BMW side of the harness that is for the remote turn on of the amp. My HU came with two blue wires, one was the remote turn on and the other was the power antenna. I wasn't sure which one was right, so I tried one. Well, I got it wrong (the power antenna wire from the deck, instead of the remote turn on). Basically what happened was that when I tried to play a CD nothing happened, but when I turned to the radio all the speakers turned on. The power antenna was hooked up to the remote power on wire of the amp, so it would only send a power on signal when the radio was used. I just switched the blue wire (to the correct remote power on) and everything worked perfect after that.

My Cars
    03 Cooper S
    well the antenna wire is white/blue. As to why you arent getting any sound...if any one of your speakers are grounding out all your sound will shut off, Could be a blown fuse somewhere, or when you connected all the wires something in the back of the HU is touching something else....hope that helps you at all

My Cars
    bmw
    Well, on my car there is blue wire on the BMW side of the harness that is for the remote turn on of the amp. My HU came with two blue wires, one was the remote turn on and the other was the power antenna. I wasn't sure which one was right, so I tried one. Well, I got it wrong (the power antenna wire from the deck, instead of the remote turn on). Basically what happened was that when I tried to play a CD nothing happened, but when I turned to the radio all the speakers turned on. The power antenna was hooked up to the remote power on wire of the amp, so it would only send a power on signal when the radio was used. I just switched the blue wire (to the correct remote power on) and everything worked perfect after that.
    IM ABOUT TO JUST GIVE UP, I TRIES BOTH THE BLUE WIRE AND BLUE W/ WHITE STRIPE WIRE, I GET NO SOUND FROM EITHER RADIO NOR CD, I MIGHTY HAVE TO REWIRE EVERYTHING OR JUST PAY A TECH 40$ JESUS WHY THE HECK ARE BMW'S SO COMPLICATED I MIGHT JUST SWITCH BACK TO HONDA OR SOMETHING.

NOTE: ANY HELP IS STILL APPRECIATED.

My Cars
    03 Cooper S
    do you have an after market amp?
    what was the previouse HU?
    Who installed the it?

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by x68monkeyx
    do you have an after market amp?
    what was the previouse HU?
    Who installed the it?
    no, looked in the back and has factory amp
    previuos hu was a no name brand "verge"
    I did

My Cars
    03 Cooper S
    ook well i can solve your problem most likely but you might not like the answer...this is what i did for my car as well and it sounds so much better, your going to need to bypass the amp for best results and the best way of doing that is to directly wire all the speakers. Easiest way of solving the problem

My Cars
    IM ABOUT TO JUST GIVE UP, I TRIES BOTH THE BLUE WIRE AND BLUE W/ WHITE STRIPE WIRE, I GET NO SOUND FROM EITHER RADIO NOR CD, I MIGHTY HAVE TO REWIRE EVERYTHING OR JUST PAY A TECH 40$ JESUS WHY THE HECK ARE BMW'S SO COMPLICATED I MIGHT JUST SWITCH BACK TO HONDA OR SOMETHING.

NOTE: ANY HELP IS STILL APPRECIATED.
    Welcome to the fun that is do-it-yourself stereo installation...

Here is something else to check. I once had a HU that turned on and the display worked fine, but the internal amp was fried from getting some water in it(stupid seals in my old jeep). So it turned on, but no sound. It was permanently broken and the only thing I could do was get a new HU... might be similar in your case.

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by x68monkeyx
    ook well i can solve your problem most likely but you might not like the answer...this is what i did for my car as well and it sounds so much better, your going to need to bypass the amp for best results and the best way of doing that is to directly wire all the speakers. Easiest way of solving the problem
    mmkay I see, could u pm how u did it by directions maybe so I can be ahead a little and will probably do that tommorow.

My Cars
    03 Cooper S

Here is something else to check. I once had a HU that turned on and the display worked fine, but the internal amp was fried from getting some water in it(stupid seals in my old jeep). So it turned on, but no sound. It was permanently broken and the only thing I could do was get a new HU... might be similar in your case.
    heck i didnt even think of that, i just assumed the radio was fine lol

My Cars
    bmw

good thinking, but I connected and tested the hu with other indepedent speakers, worked good. could I indepedently power the amp and further test from there> or is that such not a good idea.?

My Cars
    good thinking, but I connected and tested the hu with other indepedent speakers, worked good. could I indepedently power the amp and further test from there> or is that such not a good idea.?
    I'm not really sure what you mean by independently powering the amp and further test from there?

The best thing to do is get a multimeter and start probing different stuff. I would probe the speaker outputs and the remote turn on signal that you have and compare them to the inputs to the amp (should be all the same wires equivalently, but maybe the amp isn't getting the signal somewhere along the line).

Here is the procedure I would do from here:
    1. First check that the amp is coming on when you turn on your HU. (I assumed you already did this but just in case.)
    2. Probe all your signal line that are supposed to go from the HU to the amp (this means probe all the speaker outputs and remote signal on both the HU side and the amp side).
    3. If all above works, then you can probably assume that there is something wrong with the amp or a short later in the system.

Once you've done this, let me know the results and maybe we can further narrow down the problem.