Thread: My RMS Car runs like sh*t

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci

My RMS Car runs like sh*t

The software was never working right (running lean) and then a few weeks ago, I drove to Tahoe (high elevation) and when I came back the car starting running like sh*t. Check engine light kept coming on. Fault codes include, misfires, o2 sensors, mass air sensor, evap leak.

Mileage went down from 22.5mpg to 18. I think the car is now running rich...ecu is all screwed up. Pulled the new plugs I installed only 2 months ago and they are black as hell...like covered in coal or something.

Car put itself into safe mode a few times. Sounds like a 30 year old piece of junk. And it stinks! Its making fart smells in the morning...seriously. I had no idea that my software issues were this bad.

RMS says its a software bug and promised to fix it soon. I've been hearing that for the last 6 months.
    Last edited by JetBlackE46; 10-04-2002 at 02:14 AM.

My Cars
    just an old 328
    I say either u get someone to truely program it correctly or go back to stock software and a RRFPR. at least the FPR wont give u these problems and most likely probably run even better.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    330Ci

damn

I hope they plan on buying you new cats and o2 sensors. If your running lean those are garbage. How they handle this will deceide the out come of me buying one of there kits. You can tell them that!:

My Cars
    BMW
    I'd call up AA and see if they have a software solution, they seem to be able to fix RMS f%^k ups.

My Cars
    Lots
    Check the intake bellows carefully for tears.

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    Originally posted by jsp98m3
    Check the intake bellows carefully for tears.

whats an intake bellow?

My Cars
    None
    Check anything that is rubber between the blower and the throttle body.

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    sorry to hear that. Its frustrating Im sure. Hope it all gets worked out for you.

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    just got off the phone with osh, and he says he'll take care of it. he plans to have dynospot help dyno the car and give him the data to correct the software.

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    You say it has never been right, ie, running lean. Then, you said its all of a sudden running rich. Then you said its just farts, limps home, and is running just plain lousy. Im with Jim. Look for a leak. Check all the hose to tube connections along the entire intake track. You could be either losing metered air or gaining unmetered air. Either one will screw you up badly. It would be strange for it to be a software issue wouldnt it? I mean the one thing you can be sure hasnt changed is the computer program running your car. Sensors can brake. Air can leak. But lines of code dont spontaneously alter themselves. YET!
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    dynospot thinks that the higher elevation in tahoe freaked the computer out and it was trying to adjust and couldn't. i don't know...let them figure it out.

My Cars
    '98 S/C Dinan M3
    Something I have found is that the hard plastic intake piece that connects to the back of the S/C keeps sliding off – not a lot, just enough to let air in - say if you drop the clutch or the engine bounces around a bit. It is a real bitch because the way the plastic is molded the more you tighten the clamp the more the clamp just wants to slide down the plastic. It would give me check engine lights for the O2 sensor when this would happen. I am going to fix it this winter so that the clamp doesn’t slip but it would have been nice if they had a groove molded into the plastic for the clamp.
    BMW M3 1998 Modifications: Dinan: throttle body, supercharger, free flow exhaust, lightweight flywheel + performance clutch, Stage III suspension, front and rear shock tower braces, and even the floor mats. RMS: Stage II 6” pulley, after cooler, ceramic coat SS headers, Cat delete, Fan delete, Water/alcohol injection. polyurethane RTABs, Victory oil cooler, E46 fuel pump, MAShaw hood, ACS roof spoiler, TECIII engine management 12 PSI. Dual PLX AFR gauges, SPA 2xEGT, oil, fuel, boost. Cobalt Autometer. UUC: tranny mounts. Bavarian auto: competition shifter. OEM clears all around. Built-in K-40 radar detector laser diffuser. E46 rear wing, 18” rims. Stoptech big break kit with slotted rotors all around. Custom clutch stop.

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    latest news is they promise to take care of any damage to my car if there is any and get it tuned right. osh may even come up here himself if necessary

My Cars
    any updates on your ride?
    Current ride:
    '06X54.8is, TiSi/Blk
    '03M5 (10kmi garage queen!), CB/Caramel
    Previous rides:
    2001 540ia sport, Dinan StII suspension
    2000 328ia sport
    1996 Dinan 3

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    last week they put the stock injectors put back in along with a fpr i think...there's supposed to be a new calibration that works better

car is running better than the week before but check engine light still on and i was advised to keep it under 4000rpm until the new software is installed...

new software should be installed on tuesday along with some tuning if necessary...

and then another follow up a week or two after that...

My Cars
    2003 530i
    update?

My Cars
    ASA'ed 99 328i
    how's the car running now? Please give update.

My Cars
    Recovering Boost Junkie...
    I have been talking to Nelson for a long time. I remember Nelson told me that he doesn't check this board as often as before. So I will give the update for his car, which I am sure he doesn't mind.

His car is fixed up and running well without any CEL nor hesitation. For detailed status, please send him a PM. I know he checks his PM often.
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2001 M Roadster (SCed, Highly modified) -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    my car has been running fine for a few days now but i don't want to post too much details until i put more miles on it bc i know osh put a lot of time into it (as he should)

i will give a more detailed update with dyno charts in a bit

My Cars
    98 M3
    congrats
    98 M3

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i

Nelson,

Still running well?

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    so far so good....

My Cars
    '07 335i, '07 Ducati S4RS Testastretta
    Do you feel a nice difference in power now?

My Cars
    '08 535, RIP 95 M3
    Originally posted by paul e
    Sensors can brake. Air can leak. But lines of code dont spontaneously alter themselves. YET!
    Perhaps the program makes changes based upon atmospheric conditions? That would explain the rich mixture after coming back from Tahoe wouldn't it?
    work in progress...