Thread: need help ASAP!! involving knocking sound with new suspension

My Cars
    SOLD

Question need help ASAP!! involving knocking sound with new suspension

Hey guys

i just got my new suspension installed yesterday thanks to some fellow bimmer forum members(bilsteins and H&R sports, looks sweet ill post picks once i figure this out)... so, now i have a knocking sound coming from the rear somewhere when i go over a larger bumb, specially when im turning at the same time.. i know something is probly just lose, but im wondering what/where so i can look and check..

also let me know if you have anymore suggestions of what it might be...?

One place i checked was the shocks in the rear like from the top in the trunk and i can still tighten the nut on the top of the shock? could this be why the sounds being caused, because there lose(they were only hand tightened to start with and i was told now that they should deff not turn at all and were supposed to be put on with an impact something)... i tightened them a little more but i was to see if this is it, or if i think there tightening and instead there just turning...

let me know guys ASAP, really wanna fix this, so i know nothing getting hurt!!
    thanks

the big silver bolt shown on top of the rear shock here in attachment, is what im talking about being able to still turn or tighen i think...
    got this pic from another post..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zippylock; 03-26-2006 at 06:26 PM.

My Cars
    2014 435i, 2004 M3 vert
    if its a popping soound and not a knocking sound you have nothing to worry about

not sure what it is but its something with the shocks/springs popping

itll go away over use
    hi i'm nickmanderfield.com and i hang out on the internets,
    i also recently started to sell carbon fiber coasters.

My Cars
    SOLD
    Anyone... i need to know whats up with my car...

am i supposed to be able to still tighten the nut on top of the rear shocks or is supposed to be much tighter?? i dont wanna keep tightening it by hand if you all think im just striping it rather then tightening it because i cant tell(i hold the little black nut still and turn the big nut so its tightening it i believe, i think its getting tigher but im not sure, so i need help to know if this is supposed to be as tight as possible or its somthing else moving, or a combination?

My Cars
    SOLD
    it might be a poping sound.. doesn't do it over little ones, just bigger or if the tire has to drop alot when im going slow, like coming out of a garage or going over a steeper bumb...

sure nothing getting hurt...

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    The top post of the shock should be very tight. That is likely your noise.

My Cars
    SOLD
    ok so should i keep tightening it... i just wanted to make sure you can't strip it...

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i, 2005 VW GTI
    If anything, youll strip the nut. If you can't get it tight, check the nut. It should tighten down until it stops turning. Get a torque wrench on there to check. I'd also check the other side, if you cant tighten this one, check the other one is tight.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    i know exactly what it is i bet, check to make sure you have a strap or some sort of securing device on you battery, i got c/o's and the additional harshness pointed out the fact that i didnt have one, found out it cracked the casing on the battery as my car was dying regularly, and got a Red-Top

My Cars
    SOLD
    ill check the battery but it only does the sound like a quite poping, not loud like somethings moving even though i think the battery is also moving, so thatnks for that tip

and i can still turn both sides

My Cars
    1997 328 i Sport
    i hope you have a small spanner on top of the strut to stop the strut spinning while you tighten the big nut, otherwise it will tighten forever..
    thats why the top part is squared off so you can keep it still.
    2.8L Club Member 219

My Cars
    bmw 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0
    i hope you have a small spanner on top of the strut to stop the strut spinning while you tighten the big nut, otherwise it will tighten forever..
    thats why the top part is squared off so you can keep it still.
    How do you use this spanner?

My Cars
    1997 328 i Sport
    get a spanner or vice grips on the square top part, its only about 8mm and keep it still, then tighten that big 17/19mm nut as tight as you can get it with a spanner.
    2.8L Club Member 219

My Cars
    1995 325
    Quote Originally Posted by neal1st
    How do you use this spanner?
    "Spanner" is U.K. for "wrench".
    1995 325I, tinted windows, K&N, debaffled airbox, Nighthawk low beams, BMW style #104 wheels, smoked corners, smoked sidemarkers, smoked taillights, M3 style heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Same thing happened to me i needed a new rear shock.