Thread: So it looks like minis have their own issues too

My Cars
    1994 325is

So it looks like minis have their own issues too

I read about a guy here having trouble fitting his strut brace on because the bolts weren't level. Could this be why? And did you hit a massive pothole or anything? While I was browsing for info on Mini Coopers (saving dimes and nickels for either a Mini-S or M-Coupe), I came upon this.
    http://northamericanmotoring.com/for...mushroom+strut
    http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ad.php?t=61821

Last edited by yonoconozco; 03-26-2006 at 10:07 AM.

My Cars
    98 BMW Z3 2.8 Individual, 06 Xterra 4x4
    This thread may get tagged as being off topic.

But, yes - a friend of mine has had this problem on his. The picture above is a pretty strong example of it. That particular car even looks as if the body has slighly pulled away from the mount on the fender side. (as demonstrated by the seam glue seperation) My buddy gave his back, end of lease return.

BMW cars are performance machines often driven by performance drivers. Therefore, they are subject to extreme forces. Apparently, the engineering wasn't robust enough to handle it. In engineering, scarcity of resources is the key. One hell'va machine can be built for a huge expense (that few will pay) or settle for a design that will work for most at a moderate cost. I guess the Z8 isn't an example of that tho - huge expense, just unconventional materials thus, it still has problems.

However, after seeing all these issues, I'd vote for some engineers to take remedial classes in Physics and Metallurgy... Tho make sure you send the front office people along too. Most of the time the fail point is the compromise between the budget office and the design room.

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Individual Santorinblau II (327) with DINAN CAI and Stage II

My Cars
    1994 325is
    hi skidder, I don't think it should be marked as off-topic because it's related to the subframe issue and i mentioned one of the board member's strut tower problem.

Anyways, I think this is just a combination of poor engineering and construction. Maybe thicker steel should have been used or more weld spots? Plenty of Japanese sports cars out there don't have structural problems, at least I haven't heard of any and they're driven just as hard on the track and by teenagers.

My Cars
    Dinan S2 Coupe, 996 GT3
    A lot of Minis are going to the track with some pretty serious suspensions fitted and doing things that they were never designed to do. It is no big surprise that they are coming apart. One of the frist things you do when you build a race car is seem weld the chassis so things like the above will not happen! This is not done on street cars and weekend track specials which are now getting race car tires and suspensions!

Also, the M Coupe and M Roadster already have a fix to prevent the strut tower from bulging. It is a metal plate that sits in top of the strut assembly to prevent it from bending and deforming the tower. There was never a problem with this that I had seen on any E36 M version which were all fitted with these. Even my '95 M3 had these from the factory.
    Last edited by Blacksport350; 03-26-2006 at 11:18 AM.
    '02 Steel Grey/Black M Coupe

Mods....
    Engine/Drivetrain: Dinan Exhaust, Throttle Boddies, MAF, CIA, Stage 4M Software, Sport Mode, 3.73 LSD
    Suspension: Dinan Swaybars, Springs, Shocks, Strut Brace, IE Subframe Bushings
    Interior: E46 Aluminum Pedals/Dead Pedal, Leather Z Chrome Bits, Leather Z Extended Leather Package Bits, Defrost Relocated, Footwell Lights, Lighted Sunroof Switch
    Exterior: AC Schnitzer Flippers, Wing, Z8 Nozzles, Clear Markers, Shinny New Roadstars(I love those wheels)
    Misc: Toyo T1Rs 235/255, UUC Clutch Line, Carbon Fiber Engine Cover, V1 Hardwire
    Coming Very Soon: SS Brake Lines, Ate Super Blue, Euro Floating Rotors, Axxis Ultimates, IE Tranny Mount Bushings, SuperSprint headers/Cat Delete
    Coming Not So Soon: 6 Speed Conversion, Trip to Randy

My Cars
    1994 325is
    If i recall correctly a bunch of the mushroomed towers happened on street cars, mostly with the 17s.

My Cars
    98 BMW Z3 2.8 Individual, 06 Xterra 4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksport350
    A lot of Minis are going to the track with some pretty serious suspensions fitted and doing things that they were never designed to do. It is no big surprise that they are coming apart. One of the frist things you do when you build a race car is seem weld the chassis so things like the above will not happen! This is not done on street cars and weekend track specials which are now getting race car tires and suspensions!
    Point well made. I agree, if you damage your car thru acts you chose to make - i.e. performance modifications and/or extreme driving; that was a choice you made and you shall be held liable. The real hard part is determining fault. Where do you draw the line, any modification voids warranty? It would be very hard to prove that a certain modification changed the physics enough to cause a failure point.

However, cases I've seen: It happens to be occurring in stock chassis that are not being driven off DOT certified roads. Sure, they may get some spirited driving. But that is the image BMW sells. If they wanted their cars driven like Miss Daisy - I doubt anyone would purchase them. "Ultimate Driving Machine"...

That is my issue with these flaws.

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Individual Santorinblau II (327) with DINAN CAI and Stage II

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    mini owners deserve it.
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    Quote Originally Posted by skidder
    PoSure, they may get some spirited driving. But that is the image BMW sells. If they wanted their cars driven like Miss Daisy - I doubt anyone would purchase them. "Ultimate Driving Machine"...
    the Z4 M Roadster ...... "Not designed to haul anything....well, maybe one thing".

yeah right, I wonder what catastrophic failure thosecars will see
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    Dinan S2 Coupe, 996 GT3
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu
    mini owners deserve it.
    '02 Steel Grey/Black M Coupe

Mods....
    Engine/Drivetrain: Dinan Exhaust, Throttle Boddies, MAF, CIA, Stage 4M Software, Sport Mode, 3.73 LSD
    Suspension: Dinan Swaybars, Springs, Shocks, Strut Brace, IE Subframe Bushings
    Interior: E46 Aluminum Pedals/Dead Pedal, Leather Z Chrome Bits, Leather Z Extended Leather Package Bits, Defrost Relocated, Footwell Lights, Lighted Sunroof Switch
    Exterior: AC Schnitzer Flippers, Wing, Z8 Nozzles, Clear Markers, Shinny New Roadstars(I love those wheels)
    Misc: Toyo T1Rs 235/255, UUC Clutch Line, Carbon Fiber Engine Cover, V1 Hardwire
    Coming Very Soon: SS Brake Lines, Ate Super Blue, Euro Floating Rotors, Axxis Ultimates, IE Tranny Mount Bushings, SuperSprint headers/Cat Delete
    Coming Not So Soon: 6 Speed Conversion, Trip to Randy

My Cars
    M3 M3 M3 M3 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu
    mini owners deserve it.
    Hrm? Still sore from getting beat in teh twisties?

I like MCS. Have a few friends running them, but omg4cylFTL.

|dirty | bav |

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_6shot
    omg4cylFTL.
    +1