Thread: The steering wheel squeak, all those that have been thru it get in here...

My Cars
    1997 328i, 330ci comming soon

Exclamation The steering wheel squeak, all those that have been thru it get in here...

is it common to hear something like a spring tensioning and twisting likes its going to break? then an unbearable squeaking loud noise? while the entire time the wheel is stiff and difficult to move?

its very spiratic and is very annoying help!

WhatWouldKevDo :bigmegatronshifty

My Cars
    outside the fellowship
    mine has a sort of kink in it, like you can feel it going throught the individual notches in the steering...it never makes any noise though
    bacon? bacon...

My Cars
    95 325is
    My steering wheel squeaks but I don't feel anything because of it. Just pisses me off.

My Cars
    don't ask
    Take it apart and lube the slip ring if you can.
    -Peter

Current toy: none
    Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    2004 M3
    with what?
    2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT No roof No Power or Heated Seats No Nav

My Cars
    E36 325is,e46 328ci
    hmm my car is making some kind of sqeak when I turn the wheel about half a turn.. can't really feel anything just feels like something is lightly rubbing behind the steering wheel..
    Last edited by boostedIS; 03-24-2006 at 03:01 AM.

My Cars
    '14 4Runner
    Same here. Makes me feel cheap. That and the squeaky belt under the hood. Heavens.

My Cars
    e46 325ci
    Mine was sqeaking in a bad way when i first got it. Added some WD40 also the entire steering shaft and it's gone. That was just under a year ago now.

My Cars
    1996 328ICA, 2002 325 xiTouring

Mine squeeks too, like metal and plastic?

It sounds like it is comming from the slip ring, not too sure though???
    Also I just got the under the hood squeek! pulley or something???
    I love this car.
    DIY Videos and Help

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryan36
    Same here. Makes me feel cheap. That and the squeaky belt under the hood. Heavens.
    The belt shouldn't squeak. Tend to that or you could be in for major repairs. There are pulleys, accessories with bearings that could be worn, tensioners, and the belt itself that could be bad. I would get a new belt, and once the belt is off inspect every moving part in the belt system. Anything that doesn't turn freely, scrapes, or squeaks needs to be replaced. I would also check each pulley for end play or wobble. Try to pull the pulley straight out and push it in -- it shoudln't move. Try to wiggle the pulley left right, up down -- it shouldn't wiggle. If everything is good, put the new belt on and test. If the problem persists look deeper. Of course, the pulleys and tensioners shoudl be clean and not fouled with oil or power steering fluid.

My Cars
    98 alpine m3, 94 bos
    Yeah, spraying WD-40 actuall will work for the slip-ring area kind of squeek...but only temporarily. Eventually I will just take the steering wheel off and apply some lubro molly directly to the moving parts.

-Ben

My Cars
    e46 325ci
    Well I put it on about 10 months ago and it fixed the problem striaght away, and no problems since. I guess more problems are more advanced than others.

My Cars
    '14 4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by TCarlisle
    The belt shouldn't squeak. Tend to that or you could be in for major repairs. There are pulleys, accessories with bearings that could be worn, tensioners, and the belt itself that could be bad. I would get a new belt, and once the belt is off inspect every moving part in the belt system. Anything that doesn't turn freely, scrapes, or squeaks needs to be replaced. I would also check each pulley for end play or wobble. Try to pull the pulley straight out and push it in -- it shoudln't move. Try to wiggle the pulley left right, up down -- it shouldn't wiggle. If everything is good, put the new belt on and test. If the problem persists look deeper. Of course, the pulleys and tensioners shoudl be clean and not fouled with oil or power steering fluid.
    Sorry to hijack.. It doesn't do it all the time, usually just when it's cold out. Either that or once the engine has warmed up it goes away.

My Cars
    so do i need to take the wheel off to hit the slip ring?

i can feel the notches aswell

My Cars
    1997 bmw 328i convert.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=245961

see this link for a pictoral diy.
    sidvicious
    97 BMW 328i Convertable [My first BMW]

60k miles
    Automatic
    99 New Beetle TDI
    Blown engine [through negligence]
    Under self repair [oh hell!]

2004 Toyota Sequoia
    2003 Buick Rendezvous

My Cars
    '88 M5
    Chances are, the squeak is from the bearings on the firewall. The link in the above post has one fix. The easier one, IMO, is to remove the airbox first. Then, from above, you can stick your hand and the spray can down towards the firewally and you can easily drench the bearings in lubricant (use something good, like motorcycle chain lube, not thin like WD-40).

My Cars
    '97 318is
    how do you lubricate the slip ring? Since the slip ring is consist of a long ribbon cable that's wound up, wouldn't anything that's wet or oily make it stick together?>

My Cars
    im sure its not by the firewall..... i can feel the click and squeak near where the slip ring is depicted....

My Cars
    95' M3, 97' 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by fik
    mine has a sort of kink in it, like you can feel it going throught the individual notches in the steering...it never makes any noise though
    Your steering shaft is going bad, or rather X joints on it, (most likely they got rusted inside). Joints are pressed in and are not replaceable. You may be able to get away with WD40 for some period of time, but it will become stiff as WD40 evaporates from engine heat.
    Time to look for a new shaft.

1997 328I sport package
    | RAID Steering Wheel | AA CAIS | AA Gen III Exhaust | SPAX Spring Kit | MEYLE Control Arms with Full-Metal Ball Joints and M3 bushings | BREMBO Rotors | Magnum Teflon SS Brake Lines | G2 Caliper Paint | M3 Bumpers, Door Moldings, Mirrors, Spoiler | M3 Double Spoke Wheels | M3 Motor Mounts | Stellar Keyless Entry | Euro Clear Tail Lights and Corners | DEPO Euro Headlights with Krypton Blue 6000k H1 Bulbs |

1995 M3
    | Work in progress |

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by M3motorsport
    Your steering shaft is going bad, or rather X joints on it, (most likely they got rusted inside). Joints are pressed in and are not replaceable. You may be able to get away with WD40 for some period of time, but it will become stiff as WD40 evaporates from engine heat.
    Time to look for a new shaft.

oh man how much does one of those set ya back

My Cars
    95' M3, 97' 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328i Bmw
    oh man how much does one of those set ya back
    I asked sells rep at junk yard to include one with the steering column purchase. I was doing tilt column conversion and changed the shaft as well. Dealer would rip you off around $65 or $70.
    Try searching some junk yards, strangely enough they do not save those (just steering columns), very often steering shafts are discarded.
    Go to car-part.com and search on steering column, than make some calls…

1997 328I sport package
    | RAID Steering Wheel | AA CAIS | AA Gen III Exhaust | SPAX Spring Kit | MEYLE Control Arms with Full-Metal Ball Joints and M3 bushings | BREMBO Rotors | Magnum Teflon SS Brake Lines | G2 Caliper Paint | M3 Bumpers, Door Moldings, Mirrors, Spoiler | M3 Double Spoke Wheels | M3 Motor Mounts | Stellar Keyless Entry | Euro Clear Tail Lights and Corners | DEPO Euro Headlights with Krypton Blue 6000k H1 Bulbs |

1995 M3
    | Work in progress |