Thread: Parking Lights Stay On After Car is Off Only On 1 Side

Parking Lights Stay On After Car is Off Only On 1 Side

I have the automatic lights and I always keep it in the auto on configuration.

Today (twice) when I shut the car off, the drivers side parking lights remained on after I shut the car off (both front and back). when I turned the car back on, the left turn signal was turned on, but I didn't have it selected on before I got out of the car (both times).

I checked to make sure all the turn signals and lights work and they do. When I shut the car off again or turn the lights to off they go off.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance
    04 M3 Coupe - Silver Grey, 6 Spd, Premium Package, H/K, Xenon, power Seats Extensions with Lumbar, and Clear Bra.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    the indicator stalk is in the left turn or right turn position... jiggle it around some so it stays in the center.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

Thanks Kevlar, I will try that.
    04 M3 Coupe - Silver Grey, 6 Spd, Premium Package, H/K, Xenon, power Seats Extensions with Lumbar, and Clear Bra.

My Cars
    '01 MCoupe '02 M3C/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamingelvises
    I have the automatic lights and I always keep it in the auto on configuration.

Today (twice) when I shut the car off, the drivers side parking lights remained on after I shut the car off (both front and back). when I turned the car back on, the left turn signal was turned on, but I didn't have it selected on before I got out of the car (both times).

I checked to make sure all the turn signals and lights work and they do. When I shut the car off again or turn the lights to off they go off.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance
    If you hit the turn-signal as you're turning the car off - the side it is towards will have the parking light on. It's a euro thing - required for parking on the narrow streets of Yurop..
    Don Eilenberger
    '01 M-Coupe, '03 525iaT, '07 R1200R
    '06 Porsche Cayenne S - Titanium Edition (Iceland silver/Titanium

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    If you hit the turn-signal as you're turning the car off - the side it is towards will have the parking light on. It's a euro thing - required for parking on the narrow streets of Yurop..
    is this an option or do most cars have it? must the headlight switch be in the automatic mode? tried doing this last night and couldn't get it to work.
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrón

is this an option or do most cars have it? must the headlight switch be in the automatic mode? tried doing this last night and couldn't get it to work.
    Is a coding option - you can turn the feature on/off, and most us cars will have it "nicht activ" unless a PO was hacking around or asked a dealer to turn it on.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Is a coding option - you can turn the feature on/off, and most us cars will have it "nicht activ" unless a PO was hacking around or asked a dealer to turn it on.
    I checked it that same night. i never drive with my lights in "auto". At night I turn the switch on etc.....

If you want the parking light to stay on, on either side: turn lights to auto, turn the blinker on to which side you want lit and then turn off car. it should stay on. mine is an '04 and has never been custom programmed. I really like this option.
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My Cars
    2004 M3 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
    It's not an option on most cars, but should be an easily "switchable" feature on our cars, and most modular cars sold in Europe that are also available here..

There are a bunch of features that we're not accustom to, and I urge you to read up on programmable options. My favorite ones are retained ACC power with doors open and ability to close the windows using the key remote.
    540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
    WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
    ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrón
    mine is an '04 and has never been custom programmed. I really like this option.
    Not saying you're wrong or at least that you're not correct as far as you know. But many dealers pre-program feature sets as a matter of course and if the local dealer decided to preconfig certain features as defaults you might never know. (There are even some forms for this). For most 2nd hand owners there is no way to know if the car has or has not been reprogrammed... That said I thought this feature was off by default in US but maybe not. I can check in progman or DIS tomorrow...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick99Si View Post
    It's not an option on most cars, but should be an easily "switchable" feature on our cars, and most modular cars sold in Europe that are also available here..

There are a bunch of features that we're not accustom to, and I urge you to read up on programmable options. My favorite ones are retained ACC power with doors open and ability to close the windows using the key remote.
    I wish my sunroof and windows would close by locking the key. it's a nice feature i had on some other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Not saying you're wrong or at least that you're not correct as far as you know. But many dealers pre-program feature sets as a matter of course and if the local dealer decided to preconfig certain features as defaults you might never know. (There are even some forms for this). For most 2nd hand owners there is no way to know if the car has or has not been reprogrammed... That said I thought this feature was off by default in US but maybe not. I can check in progman or DIS tomorrow...
    that's probably what happened. my car was purchased by the original owner in PA, perhaps they did something like that for it's customers.
    Last edited by Patrón; 12-07-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
    I wish my sunroof and windows would close by locking the key. it's a nice feature i had on some other cars.
    you can definitely haz.

EASY coding mod to add. just need to do one of following in order of preference A. find a close forum member w cables and software to buy beers for, B. find an indy who'll do it cheap, C. pay stealership.

my vert I can go so far as to open and close the top w/ the remote! I don't do it often because I don't like to roach the battery when car's not running but I can do it...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1628820
    Last edited by geargrinder; 12-07-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former: