Thread: I'm starting to think that my steering wheel is too big.

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe

I'm starting to think that my steering wheel is too big.

Opinions? Options?

Does the airbag really make this hard to deal with?

I don't guess I want to lose the airbag, I dunno, never had to use one!?

My Cars
    You'll only miss the airbag when you really wish you had one...

In other words, I wouldn't mess with it, myself. Also, I read on another board a long time ago about a guy who put a really nice custom steering wheel on his car, removed the airbag, etc, and then he got into a bad accident, smashed his teeth up in the accident, requiring like 4 oral surgeries, his insurance company would not cover the costs for them cuz they did not know he removed the airbag, and without it, it would have effected his premiums, etc, the guys was on the hook for like $12K in medical bills....

My Cars
    99 Mroadster
    HTe Mcoupe's wheel is smaller than the M roadsters i believe, at least mine feels smaller. I have the Mcoupe wheel in my Z3 and the Roadster in my Mroadster. It really seems that It is the smallest, I would make do.

My Cars
    Too many.
    I installed a MOMO Champion Steering wheel in my 1.9. Much smaller diameter (about an inch) than the stock 4 spoke wheel I replaced. It had both positive and negative attributes.

Steering becamer heavier - smaller diameter reduces the effective amount of torque (leverage) you can place on the wheel.

The effective smaller diameter also blocked my view of the top of the speedometer and tachometer. It also blocked my view of the turn signal indicators.

The smaller diameter, did increase the room I had above my thighs. That extra room was very welcome on long drives.

Steering feel went up - aluminum frame and nice firm padded laether provided a lot more road feedback.

I did the install in about an hour. The issue of a potential airbag deplyment during removal is overrated. It may deploy if you dont disconnect the battery and the capacitors discharge. No power, no deployment.

The whole airbag issue (removal) is so blown out of proportion to scare someone from doing it as the potential laibility may be high.

I assure you that when BMW installs the airbags, they take no extraordinary precautions as the modules lay in a box next to the assembly line. They connect the plug, plop the thing into the steering wheel and tighten the torx screws in the back

Saw this during the HC01 plant tour.

I did it in the 1.9 and it was a nice mod, did lose the use of the horns though. That can be rectified by modifying a wire and using a contact pin from an M3 and a new plastic bracket. I never got around to finishing that though.

I still have the MOMO steering wheel, its a real beauty. Will I swap the wheel in the Coupe - nah, I dont think so. I like the look of the wheel and the wheel looks MUCH better than the OEM 4 spoke steering wheel.

Mario

My Cars
    BMW Z3 Supercharged
    I like the stock 4 spoke wheel, IMO its the best BMW (non-M) wheel. It's small enough for me, the right balance between aesthetics, legroom, and functionality... Plus if you get an aftermarket wheel you lose the center roundel. Also, the point about the rim of the wheel blocking the top of the speedo and tach is a good one, the BMW OEM wheel is designed to match the top of the instrument cluster perfectly and not obscure the gauges. The OEM wheel is really quite small. I don't have the exact diameter on hand but it's considerably smaller than most OEM wheels.

stjobs

My Cars
    '07 335i, '07 Ducati S4RS Testastretta
    For me, it's actually the thin grip that reminds me of a school bus. The WRX has a MOMO steering wheel that is nice and thick.

My Cars
    M3/Z3/X1/X3
    I called and dicussed this with my insurance company and they didn't have any problems with me removing my airbag. For them to deny someone's claim is silly if you ask me. I'm not a tall guy, but I'm not short either, and I have my seat as far forward as I can. I always have driven this way, I feel more in control. Well, I'm sitting inches from this thing and I guarantee if it went off it would screw my face up pretty nicely.

IT IS POPULAR AND VERY LEGAL TO DISABLE YOUR AIRBAG FOR CONCERN OF YOUR OWN SAFETY

I feel SAFER without an airbag wheel. One thing you'll notice about the aftermarket wheels like momo is that the adapter is also a crumple zone. Force distributed to the wheel is spent in the adapter as it bends and contorts. Also, MOST momo wheels are very flat, so when you hit them with your chest, the force is distributed evenly, and damage is minimized.

All in all, wear your seatbelts and get whatever steering wheel you like. the only reason I plan on keeping the M Coupe's wheel how it is, is because I like seeing how fast I'm going.

My Cars
    E46M3 SWC, E90325 GAC, E36 ITS, 04 2500HD
    Does any one know the compatibility years for these wheels? I know the latest Mcoupes have a much smaller diameter wheel. Anyone know when this started? What can I put on a 99? Using the ETK I see several options.

Thanks,

Rob
    Rob Birkhead | Principal

My Cars
    02 MCoupe - gone
    the best way to hate your wheel is go drive a e46 m3 (or any 5 series sport)....the wheel on the s4 is sweet as well

if i could have the csl (felt) wheel w/ no buttons...that would be sick---but its not worth the $$ or the trouble IMO

My Cars
    Superstock '04 R6
    MDork - agreed on the e46 M3 wheel. You want to talk about a sweet feel, that is the nicest wheel I've felt to date. S4 is ok, but that M3 wheel takes the cake.

My Cars
    02 MCoupe - gone
    i looked into switching them out (to e46 m3) when i first got the car as i was disappointed in how big the wheel was (even though i used to love it in an e36 m3..) cost to switch was looking to be upwards of $1200---so i havent worried about it since

My Cars
    All I getting at was that it would be wise to inform your insurance company if you remove it, that's all...

My Cars
    M3/Z3/X1/X3
    Going with an airbag wheel is expensive due to the cost of an airbag, if you go with something like a MOMO wheel you're looking at around $250 bucks.

One of the problems is that the M Coupe doesn't have a tilt steering wheel, so if you shrink the wheel you wont be able to see the gauge tops and you can't tilt the wheel up or down to compensate