Thread: Popping noise after GC coil-over install...

My Cars
    Byzanz M3/4/6

Popping noise after GC coil-over install...

I had a great BMW mechanic named Barrett in Lawrence Kansas help install the Bilstein sports with GC adjustable spring kit on the front of my 95 M3 last Wednesday night. I drove to Indy for the F1 race and noticed Friday morning after we drove in Thursday that the right front was making a dull popping noise when turning the wheel. I got out of the car and had my uncle turn the wheel and could see the spring popping as the strut turned, like there was light resistance in either the top mount or the lower perch that wasn't allowing the spring to spin freely with the strut.
    Have any of you guys run into this, is sounds like both sides are starting to do it now. After raising the car and spinning the spring by hand it stops for a day or so before starting up again. I spoke with Jay at GC and we will be talking later today when I jack the car up and look for a supplied washer between the upper spring mount and the factory strut mount.
    Byzanz on black M3/4/6

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Sounds like the washer. If you dont install it, your struts will bind up and cause the problems you describe.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    I'm having the exact same problem with H&R coilover and GC camber plate setup.

Please keep us up to date with your remedy.

My Cars
    Byzanz M3/4/6
    I'll let you guys know how it shakes out tonight. I thing Jay was talking about the factory washer that would go above the factory stock spring perch. I am pretty sure we put them between the new upper spring perch and the strut bearing but I will double check it tonight.
    Damn, I hate that we might have to take all of that back out again, and I'm going to be pissed if its not spelled out that way in GC's directions.
    Byzanz on black M3/4/6

Make sure you're using the right washer. In fact, I would personally put in both washers. There should be a small cap shaped washer on top of a larger one. The larger one has a flat bottom and a slightly raised top. Order of assembly frop top to bottom is:

- strut bearing
    - small washer (installed concave side down)
    - larger washer
    - upper spring hat
    Nelson

My Cars
    Byzanz M3/4/6
    Well, I spoke with Jay from Ground Control while I had the car up on jacks, he had me check a couple of things and everything looks good. I did have the washer between the upper spring perch and strut bearing, but Jay didn't mention a concave washer. He said I had everything on there.
    He recommended spraying some WD-40 into the strut bearing from inside the engine bay, I took off the plastic strut mount covers in the engine bay, liberally sprayed WD-40 onto the recessed area where the main strut nut sits and I don't have the noise anymore. I will update in a couple days.
    Jay was very helpful and GC has always given me great assistance and customer service.
    Byzanz on black M3/4/6

The following picture shows the two washers before the strut bearing was installed. It's my belief that the smaller one (covered in white grease) is the important one. The larger one directly under it just provides a flat surface to rest against the spring hat.

Nelson

My Cars
    M3
    I have the same noise on my GC Camberplate and H&R coilver combo.

My Cars
    see sig
    add me to the list. I just recently began to hear this noise. Only happens when I turn the wheel when the car is stopped or at low speeds.

time to break out my snap on ears again. This thing located my loose sway bar mount by the time I drove 2 blocks away.
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    ya...my noise only occurs at low speeds or when stopped.

i'll have to check for the washers and whether the sway bar mount is loose.

should the smaller washer be greased?

Originally posted by Big Lun

should the smaller washer be greased?
    It was greased from the factory, so I'd say yes, that would be a good idea.
    Nelson

My Cars
    Byzanz M3/4/6
    Well I sprayed WD-40 in the recessed area where the strut nut sits and drove around last night and into work this morning with no noise. I only have the 1 big washer, did your kit come with a second "lubed" washer, if not, where did it come from?
    Jay didn't mention another washer last night when I was under the car checking it out.
    If the noise returns in a day or so then I will put some grease on both sides of that washer so it won't resist turning when under load. What kind of grease do you recommend?
    Byzanz on black M3/4/6

No, the "lubed washer" didn't come with the kit. Both washers were on the original factory strut assembly, and so I just reused (and relubed) them. The small one seemed to be pretty important since it mates directly to the strut bearing. Check your leftover parts from the factory assembly and see if you can find the washer.

I'm not a grease expert, but something like automotive bearing grease or white lithium grease should do the trick. It usually comes in a tub, and it's a thick goop. Just put a tiny bit on to coat the surface.
    Nelson

My Cars
    Byzanz M3/4/6
    Nope, I personally took the stock stuff apart to put on the Bilsteins with the GC kit and there was only the 1 washer which I installed per GC's instructions. If the noise comes back I will put the car up in the air again and put some grease on that washer and it should take care of it, thanks.
    Byzanz on black M3/4/6

My Cars
    '95 BMW M3-V8, '04 Ram D

spring noise solution