Thread: Just got smoked by MR2 turbo

I did'nt expect to win, it's just this stupid smirk he had on his face annoyed me. I don't think he understands that most people would rather own my car. All I know is that he had exhaust and was boosting high because I could hear the turbo screaming. Just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is, 2004 Acura TSX

Wink

Condolensces on the loss, but you are right, just about anyone would rather have a BMW over his car!!!!
    <font size="1">1997 328is w/ sport package, 5-speed, Arctic Silver, Black Leather.
    2004 Acura TSX, Arctic Blue Pearl, Black Leather, 5-speed auto.
    Mods and more pics are on my website.

</font>

My Cars
    2003 AW M5
    if it helps any.....i've been smoked by 2 of em......they're jesus christ fast....especially when modded. no shame though.....as you said.....are cars look better you gotta realize though that there will be a lot more times when u get spanked by "ugly", "stupid", or "pointless" cars.....but that's the way the game works.....be proud of what ya own....on to the next guy.

My Cars
    F10 M5

Thumbs down

A guy that posts on this board is a BMW tech, with a Monster Mr2 turbo. He put huge money into it, and rebuilt everything. For some reason the car never put out the power he wanted...400hp+
    When we went to the Dyno, the Mr2 put out like 240 at the wheels, and the graph line was wavy and inconsistent!!! He was pissed. It should have squeezed out 350+
    He got more pissed when he saw my stats nearing 300 rear wheel hp, with a perfect 45 degree power curve.
    Of course he's the one that helped me with my mods!!

1 Month later he pulled in with a Silver 98 M3.
    I was never impressed with the Mr2.
    I used to hang with it with my moded 325 is. Although he dominated at autocrosses because of the short wheel base.

You take the turbo off of that car, and its driving miss daisy time. hahahah
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I saw an MR2 at AA pushing over 500hp from Toyomoto. They have great possibilities... but it's no BMW.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    96 M3

Talking Ricccyyyyy Cars

Really, it doesn't matter. German is best. Their engineering is tops. Along with their development and research. If I couldn't afford a BMW, I'd drive VW's (which I have for a long long time, Vanagon, Cabriolet, Jetta, bug, etc) If I was rich I'd drive an M5. Anybody who would perfer to drive a ricemobile deserves the 2nd class status he gets. It's funny cause I live very near little saigon, and all the Rich asians drive mercedes or bimmers, a few lexus, but mostly german.

Like I've always said, How fast do you want to go? How much dough?

Don't feel bad, I got smoked by a diam POS Honda CRX in my 85 Vette. He smoked his tires at a stop light and stared at me. I shoulda known better, I punched it from the start and my car smoked out, but he was gone... I can laugh now, too diam funny back then. But someone later told me he had the full NOS and engine swap. So don't feel bad. :o)

1993 325i - Jim C chip, ECIS CAIS, BMP Intake, K&N, fan delete.
    *SOLD* 95///M3 - Engine/Exhaust: Underdrive Pulley, Port & Polished Intake, ECIS Heat Shield, BMP Intake, 9" K&N Filter Charger

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    Mr2 turbo are fast, Reeallly fast in fact, but still a POS when i still look at them. I do give it some credit and respect because i dont see very many running MR2s anymore, either fallen apart or the engine blew up or something.... but they i do admit are damn fast....

but one thing i cant stand about those cars are the turbo vents on the side of the car, where it goes off to one side.

another thing tho, every time i see a turbo mr2 i always wanna try to run with it, no matter how badly i lose, i respect fast turbo cars, and those are fun to watch take off.... every fast car is fun to watch take off... no matter what kinda car it is.
    Richard

My Cars
    M3R6

sorry guys

Not to hate on your guys are anything....but MR2's are pretty sick cars...I got three of them in my crew "AlphaKennyOne" and one of them is turbocharged. Those MR2's can GET DAMN fast for a fraction of what we pay to mod our cars...of course I rather get an M3 because of the class and it is WAY more baller than an MR2....but if an MR2 spends about 5k in total.....that puppy will be fast....if we spend 5k in total......we can get like cams, chip, intake, exhaust....you know not much. Just don't be surprise if a MR2 Turbo beats you.....they are pushing high 14's STOCK....while we push mid 14's stock....they need one 400 dollar device that will make it even with us....a boost controller. Here's a picture of my crew....I'm the one WAY at the end.

see....you guys gotta admit, the blue MR2 is CLEAN! repainted, body kit, rims....but does need to get lowered though. Not trying to flame or anything. I'll wrap everything together. Don't be surprise if a MR2 beats you (and if you really hear the turbo spooling....HE'S BOOSTIN!)

Alan
    1995 BMW ///M3 - current
    2001 Yamaha R6 CLE #74 - Wrecked due to CAGERS!
    1993 Honda CBR F2 600 - Project bike - SOLD!
    2004 - Honda CBR 1000rr - current

My Cars
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG

Cool

For some reason you never see a "fast" MR-2. (Not to say that they're slow or anything.) I mean there are a couple quick ones that run low..low 11's or so but I have not seen one run single digit ET's like turbo Honda's. You would figure that it would get better ET's than the traction-limited FWD cars.

Back when I used to have a turbo 4DR Integra, I ran my buddy's 94 MR2 Turbo/NOS (50 shot) a couple times at the track and the results were pretty lopsided considering he was boosting almost 20 psi and I was boosting 8 psi. When he wasn't on the bottle I would beat him anywhere from 0.6 of a second to 1 full second. With the bottle on he managed to beat me ONE TIME out of many runs by 0.1 of a second (13.3 vs 13.4) I expected 12's from his car especially on the bottle but fell quite a bit short of my expectations.

Both the MR2 and turbo Integra are faster cars and I must say I do miss the feeling of TURBO+VTEC but I knew it was time to quit messing with "toys" and buy a real car. I guess there's a time in life when you must move on. =)

(CURRENT)'05 Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG
    Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
    Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck Carbon Fiber Front Lip | Evosport Painted Sidemarkers | OEM Flat Hood Emblem

(SOLD)99 M3 Titanium Silver Coupe//Dinan Intake//Dinan Stage 2 SW//AA Gen 3 Exhaust//H&R Coilovers//Ellipsoids with Xenons//BBS RC's

there was a nice, clean white Turbo Mr2 in Baton Rouge Louisiana that would go to the race track sometimes. i had a 72 vette that i had "restified" and was running 13.0 with. in my street class, there were only 2 cars quicker, one was that MR2 running 12.2's to 12.4's and the other was a friends typhoon running the same. both had turbos and many upgrades. a neat thing the MR2 guy had was a round igloo cooler in the back with a pump that misted ice water onto the intercoolers. i was quite impressed with that idea. sweet car.
    too bad i didn't have my turbo m3 back then,, i could have opened a can of Whoop __S on him....lol
    Tommy aka TampaTurboM3
    95 AA turbo M3
    11.679 @ 118.79 1/4 mile 11/20/2004
    Daily Driven, Stock Looking

i think both cars are great but I do think the mr2 is more fun to drive than a M3. Granted both are great at handling, but the mr2 would win outright on a curvy moutain run. And both have great power but i still think a mr2 would outrun a 99 or less m3 in a straight line.

take a 98 supra turbo vs m3 ? who would win...supra hands down.

so, in part..its like comparing apples to oranges.

you guys who lost to mr2 or teggy or whatever are just people with no knowledge, ignorant people with huge egos wondering why you lossed to a 10 year old mr2 which is probably worth 6k by now. and given that u probably paid 4 times as much for your 'better engineered car' or 'brand' named car.

to those who have their egos in check and accept the fact that their are other cars, albeit cheaper who can beat a bmw, i totally respect.

im sure most of you guys are in the 30-40 year old range. and to those who are in the 18-25 year old, dont forget to pay your parents back the BMW they gave you or get a job or how does it feel to have a 500 per month car payment?

lates

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Many cars can take a BMW.. BMWs are not THAT fast.... With the exception of the new Ms.. They're fast cars for stock. But the lil Hondas that swap engines, slap on a turbo, plus a NOS bottle in the rear will eat anything for under $20k OVERALL..

I have a Civic hybrid friend who runs 11s.. goes out and takes Porshes, Vettes, M3s.. whatever on the road.. doesnt really matter once ur running 11s huh..
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Originally posted by tff
    i think both cars are great but I do think the mr2 is more fun to drive than a M3. Granted both are great at handling, but the mr2 would win outright on a curvy moutain run. And both have great power but i still think a mr2 would outrun a 99 or less m3 in a straight line.

take a 98 supra turbo vs m3 ? who would win...supra hands down.

so, in part..its like comparing apples to oranges.

you guys who lost to mr2 or teggy or whatever are just people with no knowledge, ignorant people with huge egos wondering why you lossed to a 10 year old mr2 which is probably worth 6k by now. and given that u probably paid 4 times as much for your 'better engineered car' or 'brand' named car.

to those who have their egos in check and accept the fact that their are other cars, albeit cheaper who can beat a bmw, i totally respect.

im sure most of you guys are in the 30-40 year old range. and to those who are in the 18-25 year old, dont forget to pay your parents back the BMW they gave you or get a job or how does it feel to have a 500 per month car payment?

lates
    I'm sorry...I completely missed the reason you visited this board?
    To prove your command of the English language is limited or to prove that an MR2 is a good car.

Stay within the bounds of good, quality writing and be cordial

exactly...im not flaming on bmw's, just the ignorant people who think there car is ALL that and then some.

im sure if an avg. person asked you, what car do you have? you reply....'BMW' their eyes are probably wider and your ego gets a tad bit bigger. well...thats who the people are ragging on mr2's and such which i have no respect for.

but all in all, we are all car enthusiats.....just respect the other person's car. acting like your car is god just sounds so pathetically weak.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Originally posted by tff
    exactly...im not flaming on bmw's, just the ignorant people who think there car is ALL that and then some.

but all in all, we are all car enthusiats.....just respect the other person's car. acting like your car is god just sounds so pathetically weak.
    We're all a little hot-blodded about our cars on this board.

Nice to know you're cool about it. Never mind my previous post.

My Cars
    F10 M5
    To continue the story, the Mr2 guy got his car up to about 310-320 at the wheels. It pulled really nicely 2 weeks ago. We were supposed to go to Englishtown to drag it, and I overslept. My buddy was pissed at me.
    That same day, his car overheated due to failure. So my sleepy head saved even greater damage, and saved him a serious tow truck bill.

Results from a leak down test he did: Cylinder number 4 is shot...

Maybe the car needs a copper head gasket? Who knows.

My buddy is pissed.:

But it is a well built car for the price with performance in mind.

You simply can't compare it to a BMW. This is a mid engined car that weighs much less, with forced induction.
    It doesn't get much more opposite than that!
    Last edited by Greg; 10-08-2001 at 05:23 PM.
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

Damn, I posted this thread in March. I should change the title.

XOC is offline Existentially Confounded
    My Cars
    Ninety-Nine SuperCharged TechnoViolet Em Three
    Originally posted by tff
    im sure most of you guys are in the 30-40 year old range. and to those who are in the 18-25 year old, dont forget to pay your parents back the BMW they gave you or get a job or how does it feel to have a 500 per month car payment? lates
    Eh sonny?? I'll take you any day in my Duesenberg, you impudent little pipsqueak. :
    Lee

My Cars
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG
    Originally posted by tff

lates
    Hmmm..... I'm in the 18-25 price range and I pay $500 a month because I chose to finish my payments in a little over 2 years. Now which one is worse? Making my parents pay for the car or paying payments? Paying payments of course but then again if my parents paid for the car then I would have to take S**t from people like you. Sorry if I misunderstood that paragraph but sounds like you're trying to start a flame war.

(CURRENT)'05 Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG
    Car: Alabaster White | Black Leather w/Birdseye Maple Trim | Lighting Package | NAV | Steel Carter Plate (Option 481)
    Mods: KW V2 Coilovers | 19x8.5F/19x9.5R BBS LM | Toyo T1R Tires (235/35/19F 265/30/19R) | Euroteck Carbon Fiber Front Lip | Evosport Painted Sidemarkers | OEM Flat Hood Emblem

(SOLD)99 M3 Titanium Silver Coupe//Dinan Intake//Dinan Stage 2 SW//AA Gen 3 Exhaust//H&R Coilovers//Ellipsoids with Xenons//BBS RC's

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    You brought this thread back from 7 months ago to post this? It seems like a deliberate attack on BMWs to me. Is it just me... or do I see a flame war starting here.

I could make a bathtub faster than my BMW... probably cheaper too. But you know what, I wouldn't want to drive it every day. Plus after all the BMW is a bigger car... holds more stuff.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?