Thread: ALMS Pre Race Test Day Results: Awesome!

My Cars
    cars

ALMS Pre Race Test Day Results: Awesome!

Man, this is going to be a GREAT season!

Check out the first prerace daytest sessions:

AM
    http://americanlemans.com/Results/3/...0AM%20Test.PDF

PM
    http://americanlemans.com/Results/3/...0PM%20Test.PDF

Notice how fast the Vettes are in GT1...cruising!

Its going to be an awesome race, hopefully BMW can get some quicker laps in, panoz/ferrari are both looking VERY fast, but Panoz/Ferrari are also both new cars, and PTG has reliability on thier side.

My Cars
    '88 M3, '03 330i ZHP
    wow 4 different makes in the top 4 of GT2. Thats gonna be an awesome race. Hopefully at least. Really looking forward to this season. Also looking forward to SWC to see what happens especially with some new (bimmerworld E90s, New Audis) Touring Cars.
    David
    1988 Zinnoberot E30 M3

My Cars
    cars
    Yea, BW won't be running thier E90 nuntil the 3rd race I think, and I don't know what Turner's E90 status is, as I still see thier white E90 in street trim in thier shopcam

ALMS should be awesome though, Ferrari is showing some potential, and that Panoz is looking FAST!

Its amazing how the Vette is almost 8seconds faster than the gt2 cars, but then again it also has more development than any of the gt2 cars so far ($$). Atleast BMW is keeping up so far, i'm sure times will keep going down as the week progresses.

By the way some pics are up: http://americanlemans.com/gallery/Vi...ery.aspx?ID=55
    Last edited by Steve J.; 03-13-2006 at 10:36 PM.

My Cars
    '04 Volvo V70R, '76 912E
    Wow, Porsche is really flying. They may actually have a shot at the overall. Maybe.
    '76 912E -- '90 Miata

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by cgregory
    Wow, Porsche is really flying. They may actually have a shot at the overall. Maybe.
    Keep in mind that Porsche has a LOT more testing in on their car than all of the new P1 cars. Heck, the smaller P1 teams have barely had time to even shake-down their new cars, much less test and race them as Porsche did for the end of last season and throughout the off-season.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Understand GT1 cars have 150-200+ more HP, Way more Aero, Carbon Brakes, TC is allowed in GT (and Vette's have been the best for years). Look at the results and the top GT1 cars more often then not beat the majority and sometimes all the P2 cars....

GT2 run a much slower pace...thats what makes it so great to watch.

If you really want to enjoy it, run Speed On Board Pass...allows you to run Incar on up to 6 cars, and even more Audio feeds. I do it on my 17" WS laptop on my easy chair, with the Race on my 55" WS TV. The Vette's and Panoz tickle my 42" Tall SVS subwoofer!

http://gms.speedtv.com/ Only $6

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    73 911RS, 2003 330ci
    Sebring, Fla.- Years from now, sports car fans around the world may look back at the 54th running of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring and remember that it all started here.

The annual 12-hour endurance classic has all the ingredients to go down as one of the most memorable races certainly in the history of the American Le Mans Series, but also in professional sports car annals. It all starts with the Series' two prototype classes, both of which have entries that stand to rewrite history.

Really - Rewrite History? OK, so we have 4 classes and a total entry list of 36 cars spread amongst 4 classes. With the exception of GT2 does anyone hold any intrigue as to who will win these classes?

Unfortunately, my memory takes me back to when Sebring fielded 60+ cars with great suspense as to who can/will come out on top.

This has turned into a series that mimics a regional SCCA race - build enough classes that anyone who (manufacturer) spends the money has a more than reasonable expectation to be on the podium. "Yeah, we finished third in class at Sebring" So what, there were only 6 cars in class and two fell out in the 8th hour.

To be fair, I will be glued to SPEED to watch every minute that I can!

Entry List

P1

My Cars
    e10, e30,e85,UCK41, r56
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul d Stoddart
    Sebring, Fla.- Years from now, sports car fans around the world may look back at the 54th running of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring and remember that it all started here.

The annual 12-hour endurance classic has all the ingredients to go down as one of the most memorable races certainly in the history of the American Le Mans Series, but also in professional sports car annals. It all starts with the Series' two prototype classes, both of which have entries that stand to rewrite history.

Really - Rewrite History? OK, so we have 4 classes and a total entry list of 36 cars spread amongst 4 classes. With the exception of GT2 does anyone hold any intrigue as to who will win these classes?

Unfortunately, my memory takes me back to when Sebring fielded 60+ cars with great suspense as to who can/will come out on top.

This has turned into a series that mimics a regional SCCA race - build enough classes that anyone who (manufacturer) spends the money has a more than reasonable expectation to be on the podium. "Yeah, we finished third in class at Sebring" So what, there were only 6 cars in class and two fell out in the 8th hour.

To be fair, I will be glued to SPEED to watch every minute that I can!

Entry List

P1

Heck, it's 5 classes when you figure that PTG is running against themselves in the ALMS-only "GT2-S2" class. I think 36 is optomistic as well, seeing as only 27 cars seem to be going out there for practice & testing.

I don't know, I've had a hard time getting "up" for the ALMS the past few years, it's almost like watching a vintage race. You know the Audis will be there, and that they'll clobber whoever else shows up in P1, this year you know that the porsches will absolutely massacre the poor privateer guys in P2, seeing as they'll probably end up 4-5 seconds a lap quicker than the rest of the field. You know the vettes will walk over non-existant competition this year. (Is there even going to be any other GT1 cars after Sebring?) GT2 has the possibility to be interesting, but it will probably end up a Porsche parade. PTG will be fun to watch as they throw their 5 year old E46 chassis up against the 997 RSR's and such.

-Charlie

'06 Tundra - Toy Hauler -- '89 325is, 24v Track Rat --'76 2002, Summer wannabe DD/restomod thing -- '03 Z4, GI Joe Roadster playset -- '01 R1100S, Beemer -- '07 Mini Cooper S -- '10 328xi

My Cars
    '98 M3/4,'08 E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J.
    On the second page, is that a pic of the Audi getting refueled? If so, that is the cleanest looking diesel fuel I've ever seen.

Dave

My Cars
    cars
    Don't forget PTG will hopefully be campaigning the new Z4M Motorsport by mid season. Not sure if it'll keep up with the Panoz/Ferrari, but should be fun to watch.

My Cars
    91 318is, Truck
    My dad stood outside the fence at road atlanta a few weeks ago and timed the Porsche LMP doing fairly consistent 113's. That is lightning quick for a tiny car like that even if they were the only car on track. Tranny issues are what they will have to deal with if anything. I think that is why they didn't start at Petit Lemans last year.

My Cars
    cars
    Yea, 113 is cookin!
    The Imsa lites were doing 1:22's I think, and thats with limited funds for testing/development (sale price well under $100k) and only about 200-250hp (i think thats the high range).

I also believe the trans in the p-car is all porsche, so thats a big area for development, as far as reliability goes.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    Heck, it's 5 classes when you figure that PTG is running against themselves in the ALMS-only "GT2-S2" class. I think 36 is optomistic as well, seeing as only 27 cars seem to be going out there for practice & testing.

I don't know, I've had a hard time getting "up" for the ALMS the past few years, it's almost like watching a vintage race. You know the Audis will be there, and that they'll clobber whoever else shows up in P1, this year you know that the porsches will absolutely massacre the poor privateer guys in P2, seeing as they'll probably end up 4-5 seconds a lap quicker than the rest of the field. You know the vettes will walk over non-existant competition this year. (Is there even going to be any other GT1 cars after Sebring?) GT2 has the possibility to be interesting, but it will probably end up a Porsche parade. PTG will be fun to watch as they throw their 5 year old E46 chassis up against the 997 RSR's and such.

-Charlie
    You've obviously not been paying attention. Over the past years the Dyson Lola's have given the Audi's fits many times....if they were not so fragile they have a lot more wins too.

In P2 the Porsche is awesome, but look at the times...the new Lola's are pretty close with a fraction of the test time the Penskes had.

In GT1 the Vettes have gotten some weight added and less HP....the Astons last year were fast enough even though Richardson hardly raced them. Also the Saleen was coming on last year with HP breaks and more wing....even better chance this year.

In GT2...Porsche Parade for years.....but the Panoz was knocking on the door last year.....and in '04 Risi won a race (last year the 360 raced) Look at the times right now....the Panoz's are owning, the Risi is right there...and the M3's look pretty good too. Can't wait till Lexus gets its cars in. It will take time for them to win....but the Porsches are watching they're backs for sure!

I've treked up to Laguna Seca the last 3 years with my Teens...been a fabulous race every year. We don't miss an event. Still got some on my DVR including last 4 hours of LeMans!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    e10, e30,e85,UCK41, r56
    Quote Originally Posted by JETninja
    You've obviously not been paying attention. Over the past years the Dyson Lola's have given the Audi's fits many times....if they were not so fragile they have a lot more wins too.
    48 wins for the Audi compared to what, 3 for the Dyson? When you figure one of those wins was when the lone Audi wrecked, I'd hardly say that's "giving them fits"

In P2 the Porsche is awesome, but look at the times...the new Lola's are pretty close with a fraction of the test time the Penskes had.
    Judging by today's test times, the Porsches are 4 seconds ahead of the rest of the P2 cars. I'd hardly call that "pretty close".

In GT1 the Vettes have gotten some weight added and less HP....the Astons last year were fast enough even though Richardson hardly raced them. Also the Saleen was coming on last year with HP breaks and more wing....even better chance this year.
    The Saleen has potential in IMSA trim, not ACO trim. The handicaps it has to run as an ACO sanctioned car hobbles it. Sebring is run under ACO specs.

-Charlie

'06 Tundra - Toy Hauler -- '89 325is, 24v Track Rat --'76 2002, Summer wannabe DD/restomod thing -- '03 Z4, GI Joe Roadster playset -- '01 R1100S, Beemer -- '07 Mini Cooper S -- '10 328xi

My Cars
    cars
    Porsche lmp2 was second quickest today, overall

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    I still stand by what I said.....giving fits...not wins. Mostly in the past 2 years as the Audi's got more restrictors and weight. The Dysons lead many laps...and with a number of Audi mistakes made for some awesome catch up racing. (specially by JJ Lehto)

Not sure about ACO restrictor, but they gave the wing back to the Saleens.

And looking at the best P2 times for the two sessions, Clint's new Lola B05 40/AER is just over 1 Sec behind the best Penske time of the day. (In fact he was faster in the afternoon session then the lone Penske running)

And the Risi 430 has done the best GT2 time so far...Sweet!

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    48 wins for the Audi compared to what, 3 for the Dyson? When you figure one of those wins was when the lone Audi wrecked, I'd hardly say that's "giving them fits"
    Dyson has been on pole a lot more than 3 times but reliability issues and red mist get in the way of winning.

I will agree with Charlie, until Dyson can actually beat Audi during the race then they aren't giving them fits.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374