Thread: Sorry, new guy dumb questions

My Cars
    2003 M3, 1999 Mustang Cobra

Smile Sorry, new guy dumb questions

Hey guys. Just ordered my first M3 about 2 weeks ago and I'm as happy as a little girl!!! J/K

Seriously though, I have tons of questions. I've been opentracking for about 2 years with my recently retired 1999 Cobra. I was rearended. M3's have always been impressive to me but what modifications are available? Does anyone know what changes were made from the 02's? Pic's would be great. Cosmetically I was hoping they changed the wheels as I prefer the BBS look. My dealer didn't have much info nor did I find anything at BMWNA.

Thanks for any help.

My Cars
    A bunch
    to the best of my knowledge mods you will be looking at would be suspension (coil overs) rims, exhaust, I believe there are chips and intakes, dinan, hamman...
    sorry not so much of help but if you check out tuners like dinan, ecis, aa tuning, ..... you might get the answers you are looking for
    hopefully

My Cars
    2003 PY M3 Coupe (ordering)
    the mods are endless and that endless list is becoming longer and longer as the car is getting new toys to play with from every major german tuner...no worries about tuning it dood!
    2003 Phoenix Yellow w/ Black Leather Interior M3 Coupe
    It's On Order!!
    Plans:
    Hamann Exhaust, Hamann Competition Spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Hamann Shadow Grill, Hamann Interior Design, ACS Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser, UUC Shortshift, H&R Coilovers, Hamann Carbon Fiber Intake and 19 inch BBS LM Wheels on Bridgestone S03's (staggered)!

My Cars
    It's always seemed to me that M3's did just fine with the OEM suspension and brakes but I guess there is always room for improvement.

What is the most RWHP attainable with bolt-ons? It really would surprise me if anyone has made over 320 at the wheels. 333 bhp out of a straight 6 is phenomenal but sweezing much more would be impressive. Short of a power adder. Which leads me to my next question. Any plans in the works for a turbo?

My Cars
    '94 325i
    I'd imagine with a few bpu's...intake/exhuast/cams/chip you would be dyno'ing close to 320 at the wheels. I'm really not a sure if there is a turbo out, im an e36'er myself..

My Cars
    '01 M Roadster
    I don't think the engine could handle a turbo/supercharger. Its already at the limit now. I think thats why they are going to the V8 in a few years.

My Cars
    2003 PY M3 Coupe (ordering)
    there will definetly be a turbo and a supercharger available for the car within a year...it'll be pretty expensive (upwards of ten grand) and the installer will have to do some engine modification as well as lowering the compression so that the car won't friggin explode as soon as you gas it lol
    2003 Phoenix Yellow w/ Black Leather Interior M3 Coupe
    It's On Order!!
    Plans:
    Hamann Exhaust, Hamann Competition Spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Hamann Shadow Grill, Hamann Interior Design, ACS Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser, UUC Shortshift, H&R Coilovers, Hamann Carbon Fiber Intake and 19 inch BBS LM Wheels on Bridgestone S03's (staggered)!

My Cars
    That brings up another question. Are any of the internals forged? Crank, pistons..ect.? I figured at 11.5/1 compression that the pistons would have to go.

Thanks for the info guys.

My Cars
    Spaceship
    RMS is going to have a supercharger out soon and will put down 395rwhp. Good luck trying to get 320hp to the ground w/o FI--you'll need a lot of dyno time, cams, full supersprint exhaust (headers, straight pipe, muffler), pullies, and intake--Hamann has a kit that supposidly puts the power to 380 crank.

Suspension wise, i've heard the E46 M3 is a bit soft for a serious track setup, and thus a Coil Over kit from a respected company would suit you well.

The way to make the E46 M3 fast(er) is to strip it-- Carbon hood, Race seats, take out backseats, sound proofing, lighter wheels, lighter brakes, lighter exhaust, etc.

Good luck and update us w/ the finished product.
    -Jarrett

'04 Scoobaru STi
    Cobb Stage 2 Accessport, HKS 3'' Catless DP, Helix 3'' Catback, Progress Coilovers, Cobb 25mm R. Sway, Cobb Formula Street/Track Pads, Whiteline Diff. Bushings, Rota Torque 17x8 w/ Hankook RS-2, Omori 60mm Boost Gauge, Ricer Wing.

My Cars
    Thanks for the advise. Coilover's, C/A's, K member, brakes, exhaust and wheels. Duely noted. Probably able to drop a good 300lbs.:

My Cars
    Spaceship
    No problem, which options did you get and what color combo? :P
    -Jarrett

'04 Scoobaru STi
    Cobb Stage 2 Accessport, HKS 3'' Catless DP, Helix 3'' Catback, Progress Coilovers, Cobb 25mm R. Sway, Cobb Formula Street/Track Pads, Whiteline Diff. Bushings, Rota Torque 17x8 w/ Hankook RS-2, Omori 60mm Boost Gauge, Ricer Wing.

My Cars
    Titanium/Black Nappa, SMG, 19's, Premium, Cold, Adj. Seat and Lum, Xenon and HK.

Basically everything but the nav. system.

My Cars
    Spaceship
    Sounds Great!
    -Jarrett

'04 Scoobaru STi