Thread: p1188 and p1189 CEL on 2.8

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe

p1188 and p1189 CEL on 2.8

Howdy folks,
    I got a check engine light this morning . Autozone says: p1188 and p1189, air fuel metering.

I used search for all possible threads, and even read every one of them. However, there were no threads specific to a 2.8 z3.

The threads I read said everything from vaccum leak to bad O2 sensors. The car is just about to turn 100k so the O2 sensors sound likely.

I was hoping someone out there had the exact same problem and knew the exact solution. I am in college and don't like replacing parts that are still good.

Is the car ok to drive until this is resolved. The car still runs like a champ.

On a side note: I did get my dual exhaust done just a few weeks ago as most of you know. Single muffler/two exit pipes. I have noticed that my exhaust smells different, just thought it was the new muffler. Do you think this could be related?

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Last edited by bcausseaux; 03-07-2006 at 02:02 AM.

My Cars
    M3 & M Coupe
    I can't remember exactly but those numbers seem like the O2 sensors. Get a Bosh universal 3 wire sensor (should be about $30 thus $130) and splice it in.
    Only a company that built airplane engines could build a car to make your heart soar. BMW "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

Quote Originally Posted by count_schemula
    -If you use hair gel... M3...
    -if you put gear oil in your hair... ///M Coupe...
    Quote Originally Posted by count_schemula
    one should always strive for improvement...
    Quote Originally Posted by JBgotM
    There is a difference between good driver and a responible driver. Good drivers aren't always responisble and responsible drivers aren't always good. The trick is to try and learn to be both.
    If you gave a european engineer 8300 cc's to play with, he'd come up with a lot more than 500 hp. We can get that much these days from a pencil sharpener..
    (Clarkson driving the Viper)

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe
    I can't belive that no one else has had this problem. Well, I am about to turn 100k, so I guess it can't hurt to change O2 sensors anyway. I think I will change my plugs too. I was just reading the how to on this, I had no idea that my car did not have spark plug wires . Learn something new everyday

My Cars
    00 MCoupe - 04 Lexus RX330 - 90 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bcausseaux
    …p1188 and p1189, air fuel metering. I used search for all possible threads, and even read every one of them. However, there were no threads specific to a 2.8 z3.
    The codes are not car specific – they are OBD2 codes

When I had those codes, turned out to be a leaky air intake tract. Make sure all your hoses and clamps are tight first. Although, @ 100k, the 02 sensors could be a culprit I guess.

As far as the smell – make sure your new exhaust work isn’t touching something and causing it to burn or melt.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe
    Thanks mdex. After I read you post I went leak hunting. And guess what i found.... A big ass leak.

I will post pics later tonight but let me try and describe it.

Coming from the rear of the air box there is a big tube (about the diameter of a soda can).

From that tube there is a small sprout off shoot. The main tube continues to the lower part of the engine, and the small off shoot tube goes to the upper part of the engine.

Well the small Y off shoot has a hole big enough for me to fit my finger in.

That is probably the problem right?

Anyone have any idea where I can get this tube. It is rubber so I would imagine it is not that expensive. But with BMW you never know.

Also, the car is running fine. Is it ok to drive for a few days to work and school, or would that be a big no no.

Thanks again.

Ohhh. and thanks again mdex. I did not realize that obdII codes were car universal. So why buy a peake tool and not just a generic obdII reader?

My Cars
    00 MCoupe - 04 Lexus RX330 - 90 325i
    No problem. I hated those codes. It was a wild goose chase for a month or two after install.

As long as the car isn’t in limp mode, I’d say it’d be OK for a day or two. I’d get on the phone with the guy you buy your parts from though and get one to you ASAP. See if you can look it up on realoem.com.
    Last edited by ///MDex; 04-13-2006 at 09:24 AM.

My Cars
    95 //M3, 91 1/2 SHO, 00 B5 PASSAT 1.8T, 71 Nova SS
    Thanks guy this fix my problem also.

My Cars
    964C4/D Durango/H Pilot
    I think you should sell that engine fast. Here, I'll take it off your hands.