Thread: Removing Stick Shift Knob

Zolton Guest

I was just wondering how do I remove the stick shift knob, is it a screw or is it clip underneath the boot??

Just pull up really hard. I will come out straight up.
    If you have the lighted know make sure you disconnect the wiring before pulling or you will destroy the wiring.

And make sure you pull so you don't give yourself a good double-handed punch in the mouth when the knob pops off! When I took mine off, I almost took my front teeth out with my wooden shift knob (I managed to dodge my head out of the way in time, but there's yet another reason why I hate my wooden shift knob). I've heard if you sort of lean over the shifter, you can aim more at your stomach than your face. You also won't hit yourself as hard that way.

Are you Hungarian? I know a hungarian guy named zoltan.

Zolton Guest

Thanks for the information.

Yes, I am hungarian. I will make sure i will not punch myself... Thanks...

ROFLMAO, punching yourself, you guys are too funny, LOL.

A friend of mine once couldn't get a spark plug to break loose so he got an extra long ratchet and and pulled and pulled and when it finally broke free, he hit himself in the head and knocked himself out for about 30 seconds, LOL That was funny.
    SOLD - 1995 M3 -- Dakar Yellow, RMS Stage 1 Supercharger, AA Exhaust, Bilsteins, Fikse wheels, UUC strut bar, etc.

My Cars
    no BMW at the time
    The easiest way I discovered is if you have a sunroof, open it, sit on center console (with the head through the sunroof) and pull. It comes off with minimal effort, because it's a striaght pull without any space limitations.
    Ordered: '14 BMW M4
    Current: '08 Suzuki GSXR 1000; '08 HD Street Bob
    Previous: '06 BMW 330Ci; '06 Mercedes CLK-350; '04 Acura TL A-Spec; '95 BMW 318ti

My Cars
    '91 318i, '04 STI
    Wear a helmet
    M52 project underway....

My Cars
    2003.5 & 1999 M3 Coupe
    yes the sunroof method mentioned above works very well. FYI, if you are removing the shift knob to replace it, make sure you replace it with a NEW knob. I say this because once the stock knob is removed once, the clips that hold it to the shift lever weaken, meaning when you remove the knob and put it back on, the knob will fly off in your hand under aggressive/heavy driving. I learned this the hard way and Im sure a few others on this board have as well....so if you are removing the knob to replace the shifter, make sure you buy a new knob, most of us like the ZHP non lighted weighted knob, its a shorter throw, looks awesome and is heavier, you can get one for 50 bucks. It is not lighted but who cares the lighted knob is silly anyway IMO.

I hope this helps you!
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe
    Options: SLICKTOP! Sterliing Gray over Black Leather, 6 MT, Manual Seats, Leather & Xenon
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Options: Dakar Yellow over Black Manual Seats
    1988 BMW M3 Coupe
    Options: Alpine White over Black M Tech Cloth

Other rides: 2016 Mercedes Benz G63 AMG, Designo Matte Midnight Black (daily driver)
    1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback Coupe, Supercharged Sleeper (garage queen)
    Previous BMWs: 1995 BMW 325is/1995 BMW M3 Coupe/1998 BMW M3 Dinan Coupe/1998 BMW M3 Sedan/2000 BMW 323CI/2000 BMW 528i Sport Sedan/2003 BMW 540i Sport Sedan/2003 BMW M3 Coupe (SMG)/2009 BMW M3 Coupe (6MT)

My Cars
    E90 335i
    Shift into 2nd really hard, that's how mine popped off haha

M5 vs. Maserati!!
    2011 335i sedan 6MT, JB4 w/FlexFuel wires, AA 4" DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, UUC DSSR+SSK, BMS CDV, ER CP, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
    Previous:
    2000 M5, LeMans Blue, H&R coilovers, custom exhaust, & assorted aesthetic mods.
    1995 M3, Schrick cams, Euro HFM, 24 lbs injectors, AA exhaust, Conforti chip, UUC LTW flywheel, UUC performance organic clutch. Assorted aesthetic mods.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by DeM3n View Post
    Wear a helmet
    hahahaha!!!!111

My Cars
    E368x2 / F15
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnSXbTyoj1o[/ame]

/
    //

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Silver
    I knocked myself in the nose really hard when I took my stock one off. It came off when I shifted into second from first aggresively.

My Cars
    E36M3, FD RX7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetzle View Post
    Shift into 2nd really hard, that's how mine popped off haha
    +1

My Cars
    Bubbleless
    My lighted knob pops off with aggressive driving... usually into 2nd or 3rd

My Cars
    M3
    lol man there are so many people that have issues trying to pull that damn thing off!

My Cars
    97 m3
    A looooong time ago i was test driving some dudes pos m3/4/5 and when i shifted into second the knob popped off....i looked at the guy like wtf....yeah i didnt buy the car.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

So once it is removed it will never stay firm again after mounting it back?