Thread: water pump pully/fan install problem

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8

water pump pully/fan install problem

Ok I got the motor in the rusty heap tonight (pictures tomorrow it's to late to download them now)

well anyway I am having a terrible time installing the stupid pully and fan, when it's down there I can't see all the little stinking holes to get them all lined up....i tried everything I can think of to to try and line those damn holes up but I'm having no luck. (even drug my wife out there for a an extra set of hands to try and hold the pully in place)

So what easy step am I missing to install the waterpump pully and fan? I probabaly should have installed the fan after I got the motor clear of the front of the car, but it's too late for that now....I really don't want to disassemble the kidneys and grills just to install this stupid fan...

any tips to make it easier?

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I got the fan installed...I took off the electric fan, kidneys and passenger side grill, then I stuffed a screwdiver in the pully track to hold it on there and got the fan on without trouble...

I got all the motor put back together, all that is left is to reconnect the shifter, driveshaft and exhuast and I'll be done.

I have a new problem though, I put the battery in to check the electrical crap like turn signals, heater fan etc...and as soon as connected the batery (with no keys in) the dash lights came on, and if I turned on the headlights they came on (which they should not do with no keys in) when I put it the acc mode with the key the windshield wipers ran all the time even though they were off, no heater blower, turn signals, brake lights, but the headlights and brights were working....

all this crap worked beofre I pulled out the blown motor so I must have screwed something up somewhere....I have the red cable hooked to the starter and the black connected to a bolt on the block (as it was when I pulled out the bad motor)

Have I done something wrong? anyone have this problem before? or do I just need to finish hooking the underneath stuff up and it'll all work fine...although the only wire left to connect is the tranny wire that goes up through the shifter hole which I think powers the reverse light switch.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    check your grounds at the battery side, that braided steel ground, make sure your connections are tight and on the right sides.....
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    Well I'm a bone head...and you guys are smart (I'm glad your here) The battery cables have been replaced at some point in the past and the negitive was replaced with a red cable, the positive with a black cable...switched them around and everything was good....

Got the car to start tonight, but now have a new problem which I hope isn't a bonehead thing...

It starts and idles in Neutral fine, but the clutch pedal is super stiff and I can't put it in gear, I tried to put it in gear and it grinds...if I push harder on the clutch pedal the clutch makes a whining noise like Im pushing it too far. I crawled underneath and noticed the slave is leaking so i pulled it off and it's leaking from the rubber boot.

did I screw up the clutch install, or the mating the tranny to the clutch? Is it possible to have too much pressure in the master/slave cylindar so they don't compress all the way? the brake pedal is really stiff too...

I hope I ddn't screw up reinstalling the clutch or the tranny... pulling that thing off alone under the car will be a pain in the ass...