RM European Auto Parts

View Poll Results: What is your BMW auto transmission maintenance experience?

Voters
1349. You may not vote on this poll
  • Followed BMW Lifetime ATF recommendation, did zero maintenance and auto trans. is fine.

632 46.85%
  • Followed BMW Lifetime ATF recommendation, did zero maintenance and auto trans. failed.

159 11.79%
  • Did an ATF drain/refill w/ BMW specified ATF fluid and auto trans. is fine.

230 17.05%
  • Did an ATF drain/refill w/ BMW specified ATF fluid and auto trans. failed.

53 3.93%
  • Did an ATF drain/refill w/ non-BMW ATF and auto trans is fine.

257 19.05%
  • Did an ATF drain/refill w/ non-BMW ATF and auto trans failed.

18 1.33%
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting Statistics on BMW auto transmission and Lifetime ATF

My Cars
    03' X5 4.4, 95'MERC S320
    BimmerZ5, great post on ATF changes. I have question i want to change my ATF. In your opinion is Redline 4D ok to use or Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF Synthetic blend. ESSO and VW stuff is very costly. Also can you tell where to look for the drain plug on the Torque converted. Some TC can be drained without flashing , any idea?
    Thank you for any help<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thank you for the Help:
    Its better to ask forgivenness then permission

BMW X5 4.4 2003, 95 Mercedes S320,
    2004 Lexus GS 300

My Cars
    Z3 3.0i Roadster, E39 530i, Toyota Previa S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanddog View Post
    BimmerZ5, great post on ATF changes. I have question i want to change my ATF. In your opinion is Redline 4D ok to use or Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF Synthetic blend. ESSO and VW stuff is very costly. Also can you tell where to look for the drain plug on the Torque converted. Some TC can be drained without flashing , any idea?
    Thank you for any help<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Hi Sanddog:

based on your X5 model year and engine, i believe your transmission does take the Esso LT711141 ATF. Yes, that is a very expensive fluid. However, I have heard that you can buy the ESSO from a VW dealer and it will be much cheaper. As another alternative, Valvoline's Mercon V ATF specifically claims compatibility with the ESSO LT71141. As for the Redline D4 ATF or the Pennzoil, I've never used them to give you any type of meaningful opinion. I believe they are both pretty good ATF options, the Pennzoil being a synthetic blend and the Redline being a full synthetic ATF.

As for draining the torque converter, you can do that by disconnecting the ATF return line from the transmission cooler and run your transmission for a while as it pumps new fluid in and pushes old out. Just keep filling the fill hole as that is happening. I've never heard of a TC drain hole on these transmissions before.

My Cars
    03' X5 4.4, 95'MERC S320
    Thanks for the quick reply i like the idea of using
    Valvoline's Mercon V ATF specifically claims compatibility with the ESSO LT71141.

I was not sure on TC as in my Mercedes the TC can be drain via plug, pretty cool. I was reading through replys from your posting and a few people are using REDLINE D4, however not on same vehicle as mine. I have used REDLINE D4 in my sons 2002 Passt wagon W/tiptronic. You know VW claims life time oil. Man you should have seen the stuff that came out. That transmission was dissent to failure. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thank you for the Help:

2004 Lexus GS 300

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Tranny started to slip at 140,000. Presently having the torque converter and valve body re-worked.

BMW recently took back the policy on lifetime fill and I think they now recommend a 60,00 mile fluid change.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackcat559 View Post
    BMW recently took back the policy on lifetime fill and I think they now recommend a 60,00 mile fluid change.
    Source of this information?

My Cars
    E39 525i manual sport
    Tranny started to slip at 140,000. Presently having the torque converter and valve body re-worked.

is that on the new or the old cars?

Cosmos - Black l l Lux l HK l OEM clears all around l Depo HID's 55W 5000K l Strut bar

My Cars
    04 545i sport
    youre right, BMW is now suggesting an ATF change, but at 100,000 and not 60k (according to my owners manual, its printed under the 100k service) but personally I think 60k would be a better choice than 100k. I went ahead and had mine done at ~83k right after I got the car...everyone keep in mind I have a 2002 530 with the ZF tranny, and I dont know if this recommendation of 100k ATF change is for just ZF or for the GM ones as well

*did ATF drain/fill @ ~83k with $25/qt BMW fluid and no problems so far at 98.5k

-Jonathan

2004 BMW 545i sport: current
    2005 Cadillac Escalade: sold
    2005 LR Range Rover: sold
    2006 Infiniti M45 sport: sold
    2001 BMW 540i sport: sold

My Cars
    E39 525i manual sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmcc View Post
    youre right, BMW is now suggesting an ATF change, but at 100,000 and not 60k (according to my owners manual, its printed under the 100k service) but personally I think 60k would be a better choice than 100k. I went ahead and had mine done at ~83k right after I got the car...everyone keep in mind I have a 2002 530 with the ZF tranny, and I dont know if this recommendation of 100k ATF change is for just ZF or for the GM ones as well

*did ATF drain/fill @ ~83k with $25/qt BMW fluid and no problems so far at 98.5k

-Jonathan
    WTF!!!!!!

Cosmos - Black l l Lux l HK l OEM clears all around l Depo HID's 55W 5000K l Strut bar

My Cars
    tank
    both my 2003 cars are well under 25k miles...I voted anyway
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    04 545i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by qidm67 View Post
    WTF!!!!!!
    haha yeah its the really expensive ESSO fluid the ZF trannys use, and I went and looked back at my service receipt and the actual cost was $24/qt but whos counting?

-Jonathan

My Cars
    E39 525i manual sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmcc View Post
    haha yeah its the really expensive ESSO fluid the ZF trannys use, and I went and looked back at my service receipt and the actual cost was $24/qt but whos counting?

-Jonathan
    people who own E36's.

My Cars
    seriously folks... $24/qt? go find a VW dealer... I've heard the same Esso ATF going for $8/qt. Still expensive for ATF, but certainly not $24/qt. VW's are germany's poor man's cars, but they still use the same german engineering. There are other ATF that meet the Esso spec too, but they go for around $8/qt as well.

as for the GM transmission, i'm inclined to believe a quality synthetic ATF will do just fine if it meets Dex-III(h) and higher. i called around all the GM dealerships and asked about ATF for GM cars that use the same GM transmission in BMWs. They all recommended Dex-III on 50K or 100K intervals.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerZ5 View Post
    Source of this information?
    Roundel magazine, August 2006, page 122, and my BMW dealer service tech after I read the article and phoned him.

My Cars
    1967 Camero RS
    Quote Originally Posted by killcrap View Post
    99 528i Currently 124,000 Miles. Never Changed. Since 100,000 Miles The Trans Has Harsh Engaging in To First. Light Throttle Acceleration leads to Harsh 1-2 Shift 2-3 Shift. Slowing down to a stop leads to a Harsh 2-1 Downshift. Re-Programmed DME per Service Bulliton, and got rid of the Harsh 2-1 Downshift. Still Harsh 1-2 Shift, 2-3Shift Shifts fine under heavy acceleration. Read out fault memory with GT-1 no faults stored. Reset Adaptations, Trans was fine for 1 week and the problems came back. Using SSS tried re-programming the EGS. Entered Basic Control Module #, and Programmed Control Module #, SSS would not continue after entering correct #'s. GT1 cannot identify the EGS module correctly - Conclusion Bad EGS Module ( the gt1 could not identify production date of the EGS, but is able to read all status's)

Will be changing the fluid with Red Line soon. Will know if it cures the problrm or not. I may be ordering an EGS module soon if this doesnt cure it.

well i dropped the pan and the fluid, it was burnt, but not sludged. replaced the filter and both gaskets, topped off fluid at 38 deg celcius. reset adaptations, and drove 1 day all great. next day, it shifted the same as it has before the drain. will be draining the fluid again. fluid i chose was Mobil 1 Mercon V syn.

My Cars
    98 BMW 528I
    I have a 98 528I. It has 124,000 miles on it and I bought it at 99,000 miles. I have always changed the fluid on all my past vehicles and when it came to the 5-Series I was surprised to find that BMW specified the fluid to be lifetime. So I didn't touch it for a year. Until recently I figured that it was time to do some research. I knew there was filter and gasket kits available but I didn't want to open it all up being that it is a closed system. I decided to set the car in the air for a night and the next morning I drained just what came out of the pan. The fluid was dark, but no sludgeing. It just showed a redish tint but was burnt. Now I know that the majority go with redline or a BMW specified Dexron fluid. I saw that nobody has tried Amsoil on here and I had used it in the past in Chryslers and never had any problems with it in their troublesome transmissions in their trucks. Hey 200,000 miles on a Dodge Ram with the original fourspeed, I can't complain. Well, to get back to ther point, I drained just over 3 quarts out the trans. I pumped back in 3 and 1/8th quarts of Amsoil Universal Transmission Fluid. (costs about $9/quart). During the first drive out it really made a difference with the first couple cold upshifts. Coming to a stop 3-2 were softer and 2-1 I didn't even feel it. Nine days later with the new fluid mixed well in with the old the shifts seem to be the same. Although, I noticed reverse comes quicker. I have decided that I would drain the fluid again and put Amsoil in again. Figuring if a 30% mixture giving great improvement, draining another three out of the nine would bring the mixture to over 50% further improving shifts. The differential will get SAE 75W-90 gear lube by Amsoil. I really am happy with the results.

I would recommend that before doing any fluid changes in the trans or diff area that you would check out Amsoils website. They have a easy to follow application chart that starts in the middle of their home page. Even though I am loyal to Mobil 1 Synthetic in the engine bay I believe that Amsoil has them beat in the drivetrain area. But then Amsoil was the first in synthetics.

My Cars
    bmw 318is
    I have a 1993 318is with an auto transmission. I bought the car almost a year ago with 120,000 miles on it. It now has almost 143K and runs very poorly. I did not ever have the transmission flushed or had any service done on it,; expect for the oil change. There is also a warning light that comes on the dash after starting it up. It appears next to the check engine light; it is yellow with a symbol that looks like " ! " with a crank on the outside. If anyone knows what this means; please feel free to inform me.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jturn06 View Post
    There is also a warning light that comes on the dash after starting it up. It appears next to the check engine light; it is yellow with a symbol that looks like " ! " with a crank on the outside. If anyone knows what this means; please feel free to inform me.
    That symbol means that you have some fault or malfunction that is possibly related to your automatic transmission. The symbol is for auto transmission fault, but sometimes a failed reverse switch or failed ignition can cause the same light to come on so it's not ALWAYS a transmission fault.

My Cars
    98 BMW 528I
    I drained the fluid from my 98 528i. I got exactly 3 quarts out and I put more then that back in. I had all the fluid in a gallon stored away so I lost track of how many I put it. I later measured out what I had left in the gallon and I realized that I had put in 3/8th's of a quart to much fluid. I was wondering if this was going to be a big problem or is the tranmission fine with the much extra fluid?
    <!-- / message -->

My Cars
    E39 525i manual sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 98E395Series View Post
    I drained the fluid from my 98 528i. I got exactly 3 quarts out and I put more then that back in. I had all the fluid in a gallon stored away so I lost track of how many I put it. I later measured out what I had left in the gallon and I realized that I had put in 3/8th's of a quart to much fluid. I was wondering if this was going to be a big problem or is the tranmission fine with the much extra fluid?
    <!-- / message -->
    Here's something for reference - http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i
    I have a 1995 530i, just bought it with 125k miles on it. I have had no problems thus far and it runs like it stole something. The transmission shifts ok, but not un-noticable. From p to R, normal...1 second delay, at best. No slipping. I had toyed iwth the idea of changing the fluids but the local mechs have told me not to. So I wait. When this car dies, I'll get another just like. Love the 95 body.

My Cars
    03' X5 4.4, 95'MERC S320
    Mjpatch, Are your referring to Automatic Trans or manual? Anyhow are you kidd’en get the crappy trans fluid out. And don’t ever use that Mac-Ca-nic again. Does this mechanic work on Ugo’s
    Transmission fluid by nature is roughly 3/4 detergent and light oil with additives depending on the rubber seals and o’rings, within your transmission. Water builds over time from condensation and has no where to go but pollute your shift bands and disc, kinda rust them out. You need to change your automatic trans fluid twice per year.
    Thank you for the Help:

2004 Lexus GS 300

My Cars
    E39 525i manual sport
    Mjpatch, Are your referring to Automatic Trans or manual? Anyhow are you kidd’en get the crappy trans fluid out. And don’t ever use that Mac-Ca-nic again. Does this mechanic work on Ugo’s
    Transmission fluid by nature is roughly 3/4 detergent and light oil with additives depending on the rubber seals and o’rings, within your transmission. Water builds over time from condensation and has no where to go but pollute your shift bands and disc, kinda rust them out. You need to change your automatic trans fluid twice per year.

My Cars
    04 545i sport
    twice per year!?!?!? HAHAHAHAHA and by 'Ugo' I assume you mean Yugo...

-Jonathan

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i
    Its an automatic... most of the folks I've spoken to have told me to just leave the transmission as is. For me, its no big deal. The car runs great and shifts smoothly. I know when it shifts, but there is no appreciable lag and no issues. When this car dies, I'll get another one just like it. There seems to be a plethora of them available in this area for some reason with similar condition.

My Cars
    '01 325 Ci
    bimmerZ5 .. great idea for a topic. I too have heard the many horror stories about the BMW tranny's on this forum and elsewhere. I just bought an 2001 e46 325Ci with the steptronic transmission (68K), and have an appointment to get the fluids changed with a local BMW mechanic (the dealer told me it was un-neccessary). The car shifts seemingly OK for now, with minimal hesitation in lower gears. But, as I am a great believer in regular fluid changes and synthetic products, I plan on changing out the fuild with Amsoil's synth ATF ($7-$9/qt). I also found this link on Amsoils web site might give some insite as to why others have trouble with there transmissions after a fluid change.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/filter_man_council01.pdf

I plan on doing another pan drop and filter change about 5K after the initial. (Just my .02) I will let you know how things go.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast