Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Possible for a tire machine to crack a wheel?

My Cars
    E30 Racer

Possible for a tire machine to crack a wheel?

I now have 3 junk Alpina Kopis... The first one cracked mysteriously after I had new tires mounted... I played it off and never thought about it much although thought it was odd that I could see the marks from the tire machine EXACTLY where the crack was... So fast forward a few months to this weekend... Im getting all my tires taken off as I sold the remaining 4 rims... The buyer wanted more pics today and I am taking more close ups and realize that I have 2 more junk cracked rims... also where the tire machine had grabbed onto the inside edge of the wheel...

So my question is... is it possible for the machine to break a wheel!?

It was a newer style machine Coates brand or whatever... setup for todays larger diameter wheels, so it wasnt some time machine or something...

I kind of feel like the complainer at this place as they already bought me one wheel the very first week i had these the guy dropped it and scratched the f* out of it, mistake and they took care of me so I always went back there, but last time i hinted that they might have broke the wheel but never persued it, but now this time it seems too cut and dry that it was their fault...

any ideas folks... any experiences,

I want either new wheels, or cash for the price of the wrecked ones...

This kind of screws me too as I cant find these in hyperblack anymore so they are kind of rare...
    Last edited by Daved; 03-02-2006 at 04:46 PM.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Watch your language in the main forums

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    E30 Racer
    sorry my bad...

My Cars
    '01 330i
    Scratched yes, Cracked no...

My Cars
    E30 Racer
    I understand scratching, I visually inspected these before as I had them sold and were going to get the tires taken off... and they held air just fine... Now all of a sudden they return with a crack that is formed at the very spot that their machine grabbed the wheel at...

Any other oppinons... I brought it up last time with the guy and he played it off as a cheap build quality... But these are TUV approved and have been track tested etc...

And I have 3 of the VERY same cracks all stemming from the area with the 3 dimples from their machine...

It doesnt it even make sense that the machine would leave these dimples does it? They are like someone took a center punch and smacked the alloy with it...

My Cars
    '01 330i
    I'm not saying its out of the realm of possibilities, I'm just saying I've never heard or seen it happen. Find out if you had the same person mount all those tires, maybe he/she isn't properly trained.

The dimples are suspect...can you post pics?

My Cars
    E30 Racer
    After looking at the other wheels in my garage, it seems its common for the dimples, however on the alpinas they are super deep...

I just got an email from abrahams who i bought the wheels from, he said he has heard of this happening...

And yes I stood there and watched the guy, it was the same dude as last time... It wasnt from them mounting, but rather dis-mounting

The arms or whatever you will that come out and capture the wheel are on a foot pedal and are under the operators control, but I wouldnt think that the machine would let the guy run the thing home and apply so much pressure as to snap a wheel...

Its just an odd place for a crack as usually wheels crack at the spokes, or on the spokes, not on the outer lip edge

My Cars
    Porsche 911 & BMW M3
    Those machines are only as good as the person behind them, they have the ability to crush, scratch and bent the wheels. Trust me I've seen a fair share of all of them.

Sorry to hear about your experience, this is why I will be happy to mount tires to wheels after any repair... for a small fee of course.

Take care,

-Eli
    Bent Rim? -No problem
    I've got you covered

My Cars
    E30 Racer
    What would you do? would you ask for a full price replacement? I mean these were used... would the tire company pro-rate their condition? They've always been good to me but i cant see them wanting to shell out 200/per wheel for new ones...

I had these sold too thats the kicker... I dont wanna mention that I had them sold for 500 as then I know instantly they're going to claim their value at that... But I cant replace them for under 200/wheel

My Cars
    Porsche 911 & BMW M3
    Sad thing is you almost got to work with them on things like this. I had a buddy who worked at a oil-lube shop and he said a couple of times they forgot to fill the car which blew the motor and they would offer a motor swap. USED MOTOR that is...... Unless you are willing to drag them through the legal process then it's really not worth your time if you ask me.

It's sometimes better to work with someone you trust even if it cost a little bit more.

Good Luck buddy,
    Bent Rim? -No problem
    I've got you covered

My Cars
    '01 330i
    Yeah, I avoid places, (Big-10) Tires, like the plague. I usually find that grumpy old mechanic burried down some back alley street who everyone claims 'is the best in town'

My Cars
    E30 Racer
    UPDATE took them there today, says theres no way his machine could have done this... and says the marks arent even from his machine... although they are brand new un-corroded dimples at the 4 quadrants of the wheel, what else could they be from

From what I understand, and this might be why i have 2 cracked as opposed to 4... is that on an alloy rim your suppsed to apply pressure from the outside, thus break the bead first on another machine then come into the outside face of the wheel... not from the inside like they did it...

I mean hell even if this crack was formed by a compression load, it would be pushed together, this thing is literally ripped apart and spread...

Says he'll get with the manufacturer of the machine monday (coates) and his district manager as well... Im not backing down... they have insurance for shit like this... just have to nag enough

My Cars
    99 540
    They should not have been clamped from the inside at all, since it leaves those dimples. However, none of the Coats machines make enough pressure to crack a wheel on their own, someone would have to try to make that happen.

The only machine on the market that creates enough pressure to crack a wheel (and they can actually break centers out if used improperly) is a Corghi Artiglio Master.

I bet I have mounted 10K plus sets of tires and never broken a wheel (except to demonstrate that it could happen). I doubt since the first week I did a set I even put a nick on a wheel. It is about taking a little time and doing it right.

My Cars
    1989 E34 535i 5M.Zinno
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmann
    I just got an email from abrahams who i bought the wheels from, he said he has heard of this happening...
    We have never had a Kopi wheel crack on it's own-or even from abuse on the street or track-having sold many hundreds in the past 4 years.
    I have heard of tire mounting machines in improper hands,cracking a wheel though.
    Mel Abrahams
    Abrahams Motorsport
    Buy with confidence, serving the BMW community for over 14 years.
    www.abrahamsmotorsport.com
    E-Mail: sales@abrahamsmotorsport.com
    PayPal: order@abrahamsmotorsport.com
    Phone (727) 992-0288

My Cars
    E30 Racer
    Theres absolutely no way around it, I had gone over the wheels prior to taking them there as my buyer wanted pictures of every inch... they 110% sure were not cracked prior to getting the tires peeled...

-And yes Abrahams replica wheels are good stuff... TUV approved etc... Its not like they're cheaply built wheels...

You guys have always been good to deal with even the first time the tire place DROPPED my wheel on the ground screwing it all up.

My Cars
    99 540
    I know you are convinced that is the case but it is incredibly unlikely that they were broken by the machine. I am happy to give Hennessey/Coats a call for you and see how many times they have seen a wheel cracked by one of their mounting machines. It is especially strange that more than one of them is cracked.

Whatever the case, if they clamped them from the inside the shop that did it is wrong and they are likely to have to pay for them anyhow. Aluminum wheels should be clamped from the outside with plastic feet covers attached to the machine.

My Cars
    2011 Scion Tc
    I mysteriously got a Crack in my rim, it was holding air just fine, got 2 new tires and an alignment, didn't even make it home, took it back and they said it's cracked sorry we didn't notice it, said there was no way their machine could do it, it's right there where the tire meets the rim. This same tech also shattered my back glass. They said it wasn't their fault but they replaced it out of courtesy. So, they do it, they just don't fess up. I have to take legal action. They wouldn't even replace my tint.