Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: wheel and tire advice, expertise, etc... needed!

My Cars
    1989 Volvo 245DL, 1991 BMW 325iX

wheel and tire advice, expertise, etc... needed!

All four wheels on my 325iX are bent to various extents... so it's time to either get all four refurbished or to buy a new set of wheels. Sending the wheels to the Wheel Collision center would cost somewhere between $150-200 for each wheel, so buying a new set of aftermarket wheels is not out of the question. I can't afford anything more than around $200, although I'd have no problem stretching my budget if a suggested wheel weighed a lot less or something. How much do the stock BBS basketweaves weigh, does anyone know? The closest thing I can find on the web is the e30 M3 wheel, weighing in at 16lbs. Any wheel that increases unsprung weight or rotating mass is out of the question. I'm looking to decrease both of those aforementioned items... but I understand it's hard within my price constraint. I've currently got my eyes on these wheels

-O.Z. Superleggera
    http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/289

*I love this wheel... the weight is right and it would look awesome on my lazurblau e30... however, it looks like it would snap in half if i hit a pothole the wrong way or a crack in the pavement.. any comments?

-AT Italia Alp

*No info on this wheel, looks nice, good size.. but no clue on weight... anyone out there with any info?

-Borbet Type S

*18x9" is 22.5lbs... any clues on how much the 16x7.5" would weigh? Near stock? lower than stock? Maybe the 15x7...

Those are the only 3 I've found so far... however, with a set of new wheels (or reconditioned wheels), I'm going to need some new tires as these P4000s are on their last leg. I dont want to spend more than $100/wheel. Currently looking at the Kumho Ecstsas.... price is right, good ratings... but I'd be more than happy throwing down a little more dough to get something that would perform better. Suggestions? I'm clueless on this one.

Thanks!

-Drew
    -2000 Volvo V70XC AWD SE
    -bone stock

-1991 BMW 325iX
    -Supersprint cat-back exhaust
    -H&R Springs
    -Bilstein dampers
    -lightened flywheel
    -Z3 shift linkage

My Cars
    BMWs galore

Call Tire Rack or WheelMax or American Tire Co --- any of those guys, or stores like 'em ---- they know all the weights of all the stock wheels as well as the weights of the wheels and tires they sell -- also hit up www.wheelweights.net --- the dude has almost every wheel in existence listed --- he doesn't have all the sizes, but you can deduce how much some of 'em will weigh --- IE compare 17" Borbet Type Es to other 17" rims --- you can make some sort of rough estimate. Best bet is to call on of those places.

G'luck,

-AJ

My Cars
    BMWs galore
    Oops - I meant American Wheel & Tire --- not American Tire Co --- sorry