Thread: is my alternator going bad or the battery?

My Cars
    96 328is/93 Accord

is my alternator going bad or the battery?

so my car has been very iffy lately on the battery. what are some signs of a bad alternator, and signs of a bad battery?
    _tuanathon

'96 BMW 328is - Sport Package - Boston Green
    GC/Koni - Racing Dynamics Lip - Clears - HK TrafficPro

'93 Honda Accord
    AEM intake

My Cars
    1996 328is
    mine just died, right in the middle of an intersection. turned out to be the alternator. i could jump it and it would run fine for a minute, then all the lights would dim and the engine would finally cut out.

My Cars
    I haz Techno E36
    same thing happened to me...i was on the 134 heading towards Glendale..when my ABS light turned on and then my SRS light turned on everything dimmed and boom car was totally off....luckily I was on the last lane so I was able to pull over quick...best way to check if something is wrong with your alternator is by getting a tester..see how its runnin...check the battery too...it might be givin its last requests....what you can do too is have the car on...and unplugg one of the sides connected to the battery...if the whole car turns off..altenator!!!if it stays on..then your koo..but still check that battery...

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335I msport
    start the car and take the neg cable off the battery, if it shuts off its the alt
    how do you make your money easy im a P.I.M.P.G.A.N.G.S.T.E.R
    I have Gucci style, Burberry class, I'm the Dkny bomb, so kiss my Prada ass
    R 1 3 5
    -l-l-l-
    2 4 6

***SeX iS lIkE mAtH. aDd ThE bEd, SuBtRaCt ThE cLoThEs, DiViDe tHe LeGs, PrAy U dOn't MuLtIpLy***

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2004 Audi AllRoad 4.2
    Check water level in battery (add distilled water if low) level should be visible in the circular ports on top, fill to the point when the electrolyte ust fills the fill tube. 6 cells in a 12 volt battery.

A test of the electrolyte will tell if hte charge is low, or if a cell is damaged. A small sample of the acid is drawn into a hydrometer to check the specific gravity. A shop or parts store can test it for you.

Alternator test requires a voltmeter. Runing above idle, voltage at terminal on alternator should be no less than 13.8 volts. Best test is out of hte car, on a load tester (parts store should have tester) Pep boys, Autozone etc.

Check battery level first, I limped the original battery along for two years after it started to crap out. OEM battery was 9 years old when replaced.

CJH

My Cars
    96 328is/93 Accord
    the weird thing is that it just recently started to happen. and i am hopping its not the battery because i changed it a year ago when i got the car.
    _tuanathon

'96 BMW 328is - Sport Package - Boston Green
    GC/Koni - Racing Dynamics Lip - Clears - HK TrafficPro

'93 Honda Accord
    AEM intake